PDA

View Full Version : Hook potential vs coverstock ??

jimgilmore
04-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Would sanding or changing the surface of a balls coverstock change the balls hook potential ?
I have ordered a ebonite mixto use as a spare ball which has a fairly low hook potential but was curious if just sanding would give it more hook.
My plan is to get this ball to start off with as a spare shooting ball and to find out what my pap is. I have not been bowling since I returned from caring for my mom when she passed and that was around 2009.

got_a_300
04-16-2016, 12:07 AM
I'm may be wrong on this but sanding a balls coverstock doesn't
actually make it hook more it makes it start reading the lanes
earlier and burn off its energy and it will roll/hook earlier.

Now going the opposite route and polishing a balls coverstock
delays the ball from reading the lane early and saves more of
its energy for the back end so it hooks later.

RobLV1
04-16-2016, 05:38 AM
It all depends how you choose to define hook. If you count the number of boards covered, then yes, changing the ball's surface will change the hook potential. If, however, you define hook as the angle of the change of direction on the lane, then no, it will make no difference at all because every ball made of the same kind of material, ie., reactive resin, will hook the same amount based solely upon the release of the bowler. Personally, I choose to use the second definition as the number of boards covered simply tells you how soon the ball hooks, not how much it hooks. This is a big distinction when you realize that once a ball starts to hook, it begins the cycle the ends in it losing energy. When it loses energy before it hits the pins, you lose your ability to knock down the most pins. Your goal should always be to control when the ball hooks, not how much it hooks.