PDA

View Full Version : Physics of Bowling

ChuckR
04-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Here is an article that explains bowling balls. I does get a little deep at times, but is very informational overall.

http://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/physics-of-bowling.html

fordman1
04-15-2016, 02:45 PM
That explains a lot about why I suck. You have to be a scientist to drill bowling balls. Know all kinds of math and technical stuff. My ball driller has to use a calculator to figure out how much sales tax to charge (6%) on a $200 ball. He isn't a rocket scientist.

Mike White
04-15-2016, 03:20 PM
That explains a lot about why I suck. You have to be a scientist to drill bowling balls. Know all kinds of math and technical stuff. My ball driller has to use a calculator to figure out how much sales tax to charge (6%) on a $200 ball. He isn't a rocket scientist.

Actually, the ball driller doesn't NEED to be a rocket scientist.

It does no good to calculate down to a gnat's eyelash, when the bowlers can't hit a mark the size of a dozen gnats wide.

But a general knowledge of how things are related in physics keeps you from believing in myths.

ChuckR
04-15-2016, 06:41 PM
As I mentioned, the last part of the article is best read in a College Physics course. Up till then there is some interesting data.

Mike White
04-15-2016, 07:19 PM
As I mentioned, the last part of the article is best read in a College Physics course. Up till then there is some interesting data.

http://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/images/432x409xphysics_bowling_9.png.pagespeed.ic.3vEaBCZ R-s.png

This image is an example of an area the author got wrong.

Track flare is not caused by precession rocking back and forth.

The axis migration travels in a large arc, not in a rather small circle as depicted in the image.

If it rocked back and forth, there would be oil between the ball and the lane from the previous rocking, which would defeat the purpose of axis migration.

"For each individual bowler, the PAP is (approximately) in a fixed location relative to the finger and thumb holes. For each individual bowler the position of the PAP relative to the finger and thumb holes, must be determined with a "test" ball. And once this relative position is determined, the finger and thumb holes are drilled in a new ball, so that the resulting PAP is in an optimal position relative to the pin location(s)."

Here the author must mean the initial PAP, but even that isn't "fixed" if the bowler doesn't have a consistent release.

In older non-flaring balls, the PAP remained at the initial PAP location as it traveled down the lane, but that isn't true of balls with a core, and drilled to flare.

manke
04-19-2016, 12:14 PM
Interesting reed, thanks for putting it on here.