PDA

View Full Version : Bowling on TV

ep1977
04-18-2016, 07:00 AM
I think it would be great if the TV announcers told us what ball was being thrown on every shot. Also they should discuss the oil more as it breaks down and the players make adjustments. The PBA colors the oil blue so we the viewer can see it but the announcers barely mention it except for announcing the pattern in the beginning.

All together it's my opinion that the bowling TV guys are terrible!

NewToBowling
04-18-2016, 12:52 PM
TV announcers NEVER mention the brand but they will mention the ball name (Haywire, never say Roto Grip Haywre). It's a sponsorship thing. I'm sure multiple ball mfgs sponsor these events so they don't want to show any bias. To them, as long as they keep sponsoring they are all "equal"

LyalC52
04-18-2016, 03:46 PM
you have to be blind not to notice which brand a bowler reps for, so to mention the ball name is plenty

most ESPN broadcasts they tell you what each bowler has in the rack and which they are currently throwing

fordman1
04-18-2016, 04:01 PM
I agree Randy has got to go. Not because of the kind of balls it is his personality rubs me the wrong way. He just ain't funny. I don't want funny.

fordman1
04-18-2016, 04:07 PM
One other thing, I watched the ESPN show Sunday and it was awful. Even the intro's were a joke. And here is so and so a one time winner who has been on the tour for 25 YEARS? Now that is impressive. Oh I forgot any show that has the Baker system sucks. Bowlers have no chance to get lined up or make corrections it is just who guesses right. They could bowl a full regular league style game. I don't want to hear doll face interviewing people I want to see bowling.

ep1977
04-18-2016, 04:34 PM
I have watched a lot of bowling on TV and the announcers do not tell you what ball is being thrown on each shot. On some events they will put up a graphic with whats in the bowlers bag and that is about it. Not sure what you guys are watching.

Briantime
04-18-2016, 05:37 PM
I too wish there were more talk of the gear that the bowlers are using. Sometimes I can tell and sometimes I cant. Maybe they think it's too specific for the casual bowling fans....

RobLV1
04-18-2016, 08:10 PM
This is nothing more than a PBA bashing thread. Example: "I agree Randy has got to go. Not because of the kind of balls it is his personality rubs me the wrong way. He just ain't funny. I don't want funny." He's just not funny, I don't want funny, but he's got to go. What do you really mean?

Personally, I like the fact that they are showing 2 full baker games. There is a tremendous amount to be learned from watching these elite bowlers bowling in a team format, if you can just get past the fact that all you want to do is to bash the PBA and the telecast.

fordman1
04-18-2016, 08:47 PM
Rob the Baker is what don't like. I want the old tour back not some staged side show.

epiepenburg
04-18-2016, 10:35 PM
And here I was beginning to wonder if we would have the annual anti PBA league thread....

LyalC52
04-19-2016, 12:59 AM
baker bowling is a blast
try it sometime if you haven't

I like the odd format tourneys, and think they should find ways to have more
I prefer semis and finals over step ladder, but thats just me
would be nice to see a mix

foreverincamo
04-19-2016, 08:38 AM
I like the Baker format, personally. It gives you the ability to see 10 pros at the same time plus you get to see how 10 guys attack the same oil pattern 10 different ways. I would like to see a game of 5 on 5 play full games, scratch series wins.

scottymoney
04-19-2016, 09:36 AM
All I took away from this thread was that no matter what the PBA does, someone will complain. They try to do something other than singles and people complain. Why don't you just enjoy the fact that it is on TV?

I too hate Randy but at this point I don't see them getting rid of him so I just ignore him. I also subscribe to xtraframe and will watch during the week when they have live events. Usually I know more of what happened and background info than he cares to mention. If you haven't subscribed to xtraframe I would say give it a try and watch. The during bowling banter is a bit different being during the week. You will get more back stories and more about each player and some information on the no-names in the field. They will also have special guests from time to time that stop in and talk during the qualifying. Usually some players or ball reps.

I would say if you do try xtraframe pick it up for the World Series of Bowling. Roughly 9 to 10 days of coverage going all day long.

Lastly, I would like to see them expand the PBA League and do a few months of shows out of it. As it stands now the draft teams in December to bowl for a weekend in April. They should use the time in between to have teams qualify. Open it up to 12 or 16 teams and let the top 6 or 8 battle it out in the playoffs.

mc_runner
04-19-2016, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I have no problem with the league. It's a little more low key and obviously everyone's having a good time, which is great compared to the more serious side of singles stepladders. I don't mind Baker format. I have a bigger issue with the seemingly random scoring rules in place in some of the tournaments (i.e. the automatic 30 for a strike, 10 frames only).

As for commentary, I usually listen on mute while I'm on a treadmill lol. There's a reason for that

NewToBowling
04-19-2016, 10:09 AM
I like the Baker format, personally. It gives you the ability to see 10 pros at the same time plus you get to see how 10 guys attack the same oil pattern 10 different ways. I would like to see a game of 5 on 5 play full games, scratch series wins.

Yep, I like the league setup. I like seeing multiple pros throw the ball and having fun at the same time. The alternative is no bowling on TV. I'll take bowling vs no bowling.

JasonNJ
04-19-2016, 10:19 AM
The league games are fun but to me is it really a league when it's only one weekend? It's really just a tournament. Personally, since they've assigned cities to each team, they should all bowl in each of the home cities that way it would be a true 8 week league. Plus instead of just the baker format, they do a true 3 games series 5 man team like a real league.

NewToBowling
04-19-2016, 10:45 AM
Yeah it's a tournament. I don't think the bowlers have any ties to the actual cities (NY, LA, Philadelphia, etc)

I believe in past years they did have a 1vs1, 3vs3, and team baker.

scottymoney
04-19-2016, 10:48 AM
In the finals in a couple weeks you will see singles, alternate doubles, trios and a team baker.

fordman1
04-19-2016, 02:50 PM
The league games are fun but to me is it really a league when it's only one weekend? It's really just a tournament. Personally, since they've assigned cities to each team, they should all bowl in each of the home cities that way it would be a true 8 week league. Plus instead of just the baker format, they do a true 3 games series 5 man team like a real league.

I would love to see something like this. Have a local center donate the lanes and lodging for a one night set for all teams to bowl at. Every team every in every city an 8 game league. In the 9th week the week before the Masters or some other major have the final position round. Have every team get sponsors to put up money for travel and lodging. Get GM or Ford to sponsor.
What a hoot that would be. It would be interesting to see an avg. sheet and all stats. How many 800's or 700's etc. League bowlers could relate to something like that. That baker stuff is High school or College rah rah stuff. Make it for serious money.
NOT LIKING THE BAKER SHOWS DOES NOT MAKE ONE A PBA HATER JUST A BAKER HATER.

NewToBowling
04-19-2016, 06:05 PM
I would love to see something like this. Have a local center donate the lanes and lodging for a one night set for all teams to bowl at. Every team every in every city an 8 game league. In the 9th week the week before the Masters or some other major have the final position round. Have every team get sponsors to put up money for travel and lodging. Get GM or Ford to sponsor.
What a hoot that would be. It would be interesting to see an avg. sheet and all stats. How many 800's or 700's etc. League bowlers could relate to something like that. That baker stuff is High school or College rah rah stuff. Make it for serious money.
NOT LIKING THE BAKER SHOWS DOES NOT MAKE ONE A PBA HATER JUST A BAKER HATER.

I don't think this idea is going to fly...:) Can't even get those guys to sponsor PBA events. All they get are Denny's or Lumber Liquidators

fordman1
04-20-2016, 02:30 PM
I don't think this idea is going to fly...:) Can't even get those guys to sponsor PBA events. All they get are Denny's or Lumber Liquidators

Just making a point that it would be nice to see them bowl like everybody else. How many 800's would Belmo shoot in a 8 week season? What would they average? How on earth do they get people to watch idiots riding skate boards? Don't get me started on watching grass grow, oops I mean soccer.

NewToBowling
04-20-2016, 02:53 PM
Just making a point that it would be nice to see them bowl like everybody else. How many 800's would Belmo shoot in a 8 week season? What would they average? How on earth do they get people to watch idiots riding skate boards? Don't get me started on watching grass grow, oops I mean soccer.

Some would call bowling the equivalent to watching grass grow. Don't get me wrong, I like watching bowling. But I can certainly see how it doesn't appeal to the masses: "They literally just toss a ball down and knock down pins. And more times then not they knock them all down. Rinse and repeat. What fun is that?"

Sche3067
04-20-2016, 11:10 PM
I love the tv telecast but they have not been up to par. Some of the camera angles make me cringe. Randy can get the job done but it lacks at times. I pay attetion to the bowlers anyway I could careless what they have to say. I'm just glad it's there for me to watch

ep1977
04-24-2016, 03:18 PM
What ball was Norm Duke using on TV today? Had the lock sign but wasn't the Storm Lock that's available right now.

LyalC52
04-24-2016, 05:59 PM
it was a Lock
the blue lane oil on the white made it look odd
i was questioning what he was throwing at first too

bnaidicz13
04-28-2016, 06:59 PM

And Barbasol!