PDA

View Full Version : serious mental problem

kitbash
04-19-2016, 07:17 PM
give you a bit of background before i ask my question....

i am what i would consider a tweener, bit heavier on the cranker side of the line than the stroker side.

currently throwing :
light oil= blue hammer ( not original )
med oil= motiv venom panic and motive blue ascent apex
heavy oil- have not found a house around here that uses what i would consider heavy oil so i havent bothered with a ball for it.

right foot on 30 target -15-17

here is where i am having an issue.

for the past 6 months this is my routine...
practice once or twice a week and consistently crack 190-230... sure i have off days and end up with the occasional 160-170
i split practice between 2 different local houses and do the same at each.

then come league night..this is where my mental problem comes in...
i am stuck averaging a 150 throughout the entire year.

its like when i am up there on league night my mind shuts off and i forget how to bowl all over again
i either pull the shot left or my arm drifts right and i am gutter bound
i cannot get any real consistency on league night

i need ideas for breaking a mental block
just doesnt really look or feel good when my bowling partners see me do so well when we practice and then it looks like i am throwing games when they count.

bout to take up drinking while bowling so atleast i have a reason for cleaning out the damned gutters

any advice i might be able to try?

Sche3067
04-20-2016, 01:02 AM
give you a bit of background before i ask my question....

i am what i would consider a tweener, bit heavier on the cranker side of the line than the stroker side.

currently throwing :
light oil= blue hammer ( not original )
med oil= motiv venom panic and motive blue ascent apex
heavy oil- have not found a house around here that uses what i would consider heavy oil so i havent bothered with a ball for it.

right foot on 30 target -15-17

here is where i am having an issue.

for the past 6 months this is my routine...
practice once or twice a week and consistently crack 190-230... sure i have off days and end up with the occasional 160-170
i split practice between 2 different local houses and do the same at each.

then come league night..this is where my mental problem comes in...
i am stuck averaging a 150 throughout the entire year.

its like when i am up there on league night my mind shuts off and i forget how to bowl all over again
i either pull the shot left or my arm drifts right and i am gutter bound
i cannot get any real consistency on league night

i need ideas for breaking a mental block
just doesnt really look or feel good when my bowling partners see me do so well when we practice and then it looks like i am throwing games when they count.

bout to take up drinking while bowling so atleast i have a reason for cleaning out the damned gutters

any advice i might be able to try?

how do you you practice? if you practice shot after shot without waiting a few minuets you wont be simulating your league play.

1VegasBowler
04-20-2016, 01:23 AM
You also have to consider what the oil patterns are when you practice and when you do league.

As you practice, you're only moving the oil by yourself for a more "personalized" track.

In league bowling, you have many more bowlers to change the tracks every time a ball is thrown and things will change rapidly and you have to adjust your positions and releases.

There are tines I have to change my ball speed or ball during a league night.

Ad don't forget that weather changes the conditions as well along with a host of other things.

JasonNJ
04-20-2016, 01:25 AM
It's always much easier to stay in rhythm in practice because you're probably throwing shot after shot. Also, are you practicing on the same type of lane condition as your league?

My advice to you would be don't focus on scoring in practice and just focus on establishing a routine and developing good mechanics. Then in league pretty much do the same thing, don't focus on results, focus on repeating your routine and the mechanics you established in practice. Good luck and I hope this helps.

kitbash
04-20-2016, 07:52 AM
how do you you practice? if you practice shot after shot without waiting a few minuets you wont be simulating your league play.

i always practice with atleast one other person with me so there is always a wait, even when 2 lane rotation. we also tend to take our time so its roughly 4-6 minutes between shots

kitbash
04-20-2016, 07:56 AM
yea i understand lane breakdown and all that, my issue is the mental one with the wandering arm and the mental block i somehow get each time i league bowl

just have not figured out how to mentally get my game more on par with my practice rounds

kitbash
04-20-2016, 08:02 AM
It's always much easier to stay in rhythm in practice because you're probably throwing shot after shot. Also, are you practicing on the same type of lane condition as your league?

My advice to you would be don't focus on scoring in practice and just focus on establishing a routine and developing good mechanics. Then in league pretty much do the same thing, don't focus on results, focus on repeating your routine and the mechanics you established in practice. Good luck and I hope this helps.

i dont actually worry about score when i practice, the scoreboard is always on and i use it as a gauge at the end of the session to see how i did. ie: statistics, spares, opens, strikes
mechanics are definitely better during practice and i get a more fluid ball roll, i think i am forcing too much on league night. just cant find a way to reset the mental block and sort it out

Amyers
04-20-2016, 09:28 AM
Two things in practice the oil conditions are likely different than what you encounter during league ie. fresh shot this may be a small part of the issue. From the problem you are describing though it sounds like during league your timing is off. This happens as we tend to try harder and think more during league play which in bowling can be a bad thing. I would suggest in your next practice session figure out what your trigger for starting your swing is and concentrate on that and nothing else during league play for a while. Try to pay attention and make sure your not increasing your foot speed during league play also as that could be triggingering the probem.

fokai73
04-20-2016, 12:54 PM
Expectation is the root of pain and suffering. Also, improper skills development leads consistent failures.

So, "practice" sessions when scores are counted "consistently crack 190-230" isn't practice, that's bowling outside of leagues. Real practice sessions are setting one or two goals for the day and working on them no matter how stupid you look to others at the alley. For 3 consecutive sessions, have you set goals for yourself? or did you just shoe up, and bowl for scores? Preparation before skills practice is also training the mind as well. It's like the pre shot routine. You mentally set a goal, a plan, and bowl that plan. Drills, drills, and more drills done properly with the help of a trained eye helps with muscle memory. This development rids the "thinking" on the approach and actual bowling. Thinking is done when I'm not bowling. Awareness carries me to the foul line.

For example: On wed. nights I'll set a goal to work on my foot work, push off foot and slide. Then on sunday with the guys, We bowl low ball, or I practice on my release from changing axis rotation/tilt or timing of my release. Basically, I never leave the house without a plan of action when I go practice. I bet a good percentage of bowlers on this site just leave the house without a plan and just shoe up, bowl, and waste their free/$2 bowling. lol but, for many, that's how they like it. and there are some who don't practice at all and still carry 220 ave....

classygranny
04-20-2016, 11:55 PM
Pre-shot routine. Establish one, or change what you have now. Forces you to mentally process prior to your approach. There are lots of different things to use. One of the most common is wiping the ball off with a towel. Some of us understand we may not be taking any oil off, but it is something that while we do it, we are mentally preparing for the shot. Use it for every shot including spares. Find a pre-shot routine that fits you. Use it in practice as well, then all shots become more similar in the mental aspect of your shooting.

Sche3067
04-21-2016, 12:10 AM
Try to get someone to tape you when you practice and in competion. It has helped me. Sometimes I would do all kinds of strange things under pressure

J Anderson
04-24-2016, 10:57 PM
i dont actually worry about score when i practice, the scoreboard is always on and i use it as a gauge at the end of the session to see how i did. ie: statistics, spares, opens, strikes
mechanics are definitely better during practice and i get a more fluid ball roll, i think i am forcing too much on league night. just cant find a way to reset the mental block and sort it out

I suspect that when you get to league you're focusing on results as opposed to practice where the focus is just on good technique. Perhaps more focus on making good deliveries in league and figuring a way to add some mental pressure in practice would help.

1VegasBowler
05-01-2016, 04:42 PM
When I'm able to get out and practice, one of the things I do often is working on picking up the 7 and 10 pins as single pins.

For those of us who are righties, the 10 pin is a killer (7 for lefties), and the many misses we have with that pin, making it more often could bring our averages up 15-20 pins.

Remember the old saying - Strikes for show, spares for dough.

Tampabaybob
06-17-2016, 06:01 PM
Kitbash..... Oh boy where do I start. I have your evil twin here in Florida that's doing the same things and working with him is giving me an excedrin headache. Same symptoms, shoots great in practice, lousy in competition. I get texts all of the time after he practices; just shot 640, just shot 245, etc. Here's my take on this. When you're practicing, and several of the people before have had good explanations, you're much more relaxed. You get into the league and everything begins to tighten up, muscles, and your mind starts going crazy trying to figure out what's going on and why, and it gets worse as the league night goes on. I believe on some level we've all been there, so don't think you're the only person this happens to.

A remedy ? Too simple. Here's the best and only thing I can recommend you try, and that's to relax on league night. You're putting way too much pressure on yourself, and that pressure is interfering with the muscle memory your brain and body already has. I always tell my students this; when you're standing at the ball return and BEFORE you pick up your ball, take a deep breath through your nose, hold for a few seconds and exhale through your mouth. Even if you do this while you're reading this, you'll feel the difference. Once you get set and just before you take your first step do it again. Do not worry about taking too much time. It's more important you take the extra sec on or so to relax. Don't rush the shot.

Now also, to agree with one of the other commentors, you need to stop thinking on the approach. Think of it this way. It's YOU, the BALL, and the TARGET. That's it. Trust your muscle memory to work automatically (because you do practice enough so I wouldn't believe you'd fall all over you feet) and Trust your ball. All of your thinking MUST be done before you step up on the approach, where you're going to stand, what ball you'll use, what target you'll look at, and even if you'll be changing your hand position on this next shot. That's all done before you get there.

Now I presume you're saying, Well that's easy to just say, and yes, I'm aware of that. After being a coach for close to 40 years, I've encountered probably every imaginable problem a bowler
can have, and had to figure out some crazy things. Simplify your game. You are overthinking when you get up on the approach, and that's why the breathing to relax you might help. Try these when you practice this week and see if it helps. In practice, you're not bowling for score, you're bowling for shot repeatability. And that's what you can bring to your league with you, repeatability.

Good Luck, let me know if it helps. The only other thing I could suggest is to find a local coach, preferably a USBC Certified Coach, and work with them.

Hammer
09-30-2016, 06:09 PM
I get tense on league night. It usually takes me 2 frames to calm down and I have been bowling for 28 years. After 2 frames I concentrate onthrowing a good shot one frame at a time. The biggest culprit when tension is in you is you will grip the ball harder to try and control it more.Bad idea. A tight grip will raise your thumb knuckle which will cause the ball to hang up at release and give you pulled shots. If you are using
a fingertip ball you would be surprised at how lightly you can hold the ball without having it drop off your hand early. Focus on a light grip and keeping your thumb flat inside the hole. A light grip with the thumb will let the thumb come out quickly which will let the fingers come out last and put good revs on the ball without hitting up on it with the fingers. Remember to RELAAAAX!

LOUVIT
09-30-2016, 06:38 PM
My first league in 25 years and it's a afternoon senior league and I am not crazy about the people I bowl with....What do I do with that? I can't quit. So I try to concentrate on my game but when you have to search for the person before you how do you cope? i was scared to bowl on a real night league but now I second guess that. At least they are serious. After 3 weeks I averaged 140 on the league. when I bowl alone I shoot 180's. Last week I shot I averaged 170 in the league. i guess I am saying Screw the team.... this is practice for me. I've never bowled in a league with strangers...

LOUVIT
09-30-2016, 06:55 PM
Kitbash..... Oh boy where do I start. I have your evil twin here in Florida that's doing the same things and working with him is giving me an excedrin headache. Same symptoms, shoots great in practice, lousy in competition. I get texts all of the time after he practices; just shot 640, just shot 245, etc. Here's my take on this. When you're practicing, and several of the people before have had good explanations, you're much more relaxed. You get into the league and everything begins to tighten up, muscles, and your mind starts going crazy trying to figure out what's going on and why, and it gets worse as the league night goes on. I believe on some level we've all been there, so don't think you're the only person this happens to.

A remedy ? Too simple. Here's the best and only thing I can recommend you try, and that's to relax on league night. You're putting way too much pressure on yourself, and that pressure is interfering with the muscle memory your brain and body already has. I always tell my students this; when you're standing at the ball return and BEFORE you pick up your ball, take a deep breath through your nose, hold for a few seconds and exhale through your mouth. Even if you do this while you're reading this, you'll feel the difference. Once you get set and just before you take your first step do it again. Do not worry about taking too much time. It's more important you take the extra sec on or so to relax. Don't rush the shot.

Now also, to agree with one of the other commentors, you need to stop thinking on the approach. Think of it this way. It's YOU, the BALL, and the TARGET. That's it. Trust your muscle memory to work automatically (because you do practice enough so I wouldn't believe you'd fall all over you feet) and Trust your ball. All of your thinking MUST be done before you step up on the approach, where you're going to stand, what ball you'll use, what target you'll look at, and even if you'll be changing your hand position on this next shot. That's all done before you get there.

Now I presume you're saying, Well that's easy to just say, and yes, I'm aware of that. After being a coach for close to 40 years, I've encountered probably every imaginable problem a bowler
can have, and had to figure out some crazy things. Simplify your game. You are overthinking when you get up on the approach, and that's why the breathing to relax you might help. Try these when you practice this week and see if it helps. In practice, you're not bowling for score, you're bowling for shot repeatability. And that's what you can bring to your league with you, repeatability.

Good Luck, let me know if it helps. The only other thing I could suggest is to find a local coach, preferably a USBC Certified Coach, and work with them.

lol I almost thought you were talking about me Bob until I read the scores... I need to either sub or join a real league where people care and see if that's my issue...why do I shoot 180's by myself and average 145 on the league after 3 weeks. TB bob is a great coach and when I bowl with him i see that...

2handedsniper
10-01-2016, 06:45 PM
I understand at times people think I have mental problems roo

billf
10-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Pre-shot routine as ClassyGranny described. It's not just for competition. Every shot no matter where or when it is HAS TO INCLUDE THE PRE-SHOT ROUTINE! This is the cornerstone of the beginning of the mental game. This routine lets your mind and body relax because due to the repititions it becomes familiar. Let's the mind know "hey, we've been here before. We got this." Pick one thing to focus on while on the approach albeit staring down your target, thinking slow feet, quality shot whatever fits your needs. Keep all self-talk and thoughts positive. The mind will only focus on the verb for example "Don't pull the ball" will inevitably lead to pulling the ball. I have one athlete that just thinks "smooth" and has for years. He maybe the smoothest bowler I've ever seen even on television. Another suggestion that was made by Team USA sports psychologist Dean Hinitz, tell yourself "I am an athlete. I'm here. I'm ready. My time is now." when talking to the Junior Team USA bowlers.

The mental game isn't just don't think. It's how and what to think when. You want to be a champion then think like a champion. Leave the self-doubt at home or the car. Your opponent is the person on the other lane, your true opponent is yourself. You can't control what the other person does. You can't control anything that happens AFTER you let go of the ball.

While I'm on my soapbox, you gave feet and target in a way that implies that is where you always stand and aim. The lanes dictate where to play to the bowler. The bowler doesn't dictate to the lanes. Most centers as so bone a$$ dry during open bowling almost any miss right will make it back. That's not purposeful practice. That's hanging out with a friend and rolling a ball down the lane. The drills and techniques utilized during a purposeful practice drive the competition scores. Personal performance goals should be set. Examples: from today to the end of the month make 90% of all single pin spares. Stay down on 90% of all shots for the same time period. Now the action plan. What do you need to do to make these goals a reality? Practice two sessions a week, one hour each on single pin spares. Two sessions a week, half hour each one step drills. Write all this down. Hold yourself accountable. Track progress. Didn't attain a goal? Did you stick to the action plan? No----there's a place to start. Yes---were the goals too lofty? Yes---Revamp goals No----take unbiased view of why you didn't attain that goal.
***Notice I say didn't attain. Fail/failure is a negative word. This is especially true if you truly are trying your best.
There is no failure in getting beat. There is only failure if you don't show up-Bill Freitas

Tony
10-03-2016, 10:37 AM
My first league in 25 years and it's a afternoon senior league and I am not crazy about the people I bowl with....What do I do with that? I can't quit. So I try to concentrate on my game but when you have to search for the person before you how do you cope? i was scared to bowl on a real night league but now I second guess that. At least they are serious. After 3 weeks I averaged 140 on the league. when I bowl alone I shoot 180's. Last week I shot I averaged 170 in the league. i guess I am saying Screw the team.... this is practice for me. I've never bowled in a league with strangers...

As they say strangers are just friends you haven't met yet (or something like that) I joined a league last year without really knowing anyone, I knew a few of them in passing but that was it, now after about a year bowling in the league there are quite a few that I'm pretty good friends with, if I can do it so can you! As you get comfortable with the people you will be less tense and able to relax and throw some better games. When it comes right down to it the vast majority of folks involved in bowling are good people, just stay clear of the hot heads that you run across and ignore whatever they say to or about you.

LOUVIT
10-03-2016, 05:17 PM
As they say strangers are just friends you haven't met yet (or something like that) I joined a league last year without really knowing anyone, I knew a few of them in passing but that was it, now after about a year bowling in the league there are quite a few that I'm pretty good friends with, if I can do it so can you! As you get comfortable with the people you will be less tense and able to relax and throw some better games. When it comes right down to it the vast majority of folks involved in bowling are good people, just stay clear of the hot heads that you run across and ignore whatever they say to or about you.

let me explain, I get along with almost anybody, my issue is that when it's your turn be there. I have a woman on my team that will stop and talk to 3 people just from the seat to the approach. then she will stand on the approach and watch the shot people around her through. She is a 130 average I do not expect her to take it that seriously but just be considerate. I am by nature a very impatient person which is a major downfall and that just really upsets me.

fordman1
10-03-2016, 09:08 PM
For petes sake pick up your ball while waiting. when it your turn place your foot and go.

ep1977
10-04-2016, 02:23 PM
let me explain, I get along with almost anybody, my issue is that when it's your turn be there. I have a woman on my team that will stop and talk to 3 people just from the seat to the approach. then she will stand on the approach and watch the shot people around her through. She is a 130 average I do not expect her to take it that seriously but just be considerate. I am by nature a very impatient person which is a major downfall and that just really upsets me.

The number 2 bowler on my team won't even get out of his seat until the bowler before him has completely finished his turn. Then it takes him about 30 seconds to just get to the ball rack. Destroys the pace............