PDA

View Full Version : bowling ,ball and theory.

jimgilmore
04-29-2016, 04:30 PM
Something I have not heard a lot about when dicussing ball selection is how weight and speed play into it. Assuming your currently throwing a 10 # ball at 14.1 mph that means if you go up to 12 #s you will need to throw at 11.75 mph for the same force. And if you go to 14 #s you need 10.07 . I'll be 60 this year and I really do not see me upping the force I can put into the ball.
Granted a heavier ball will deflect less but it is relative to ball speed. If you do get a heavier ball make sure that you throw it hard enough so it doesn't rollout of energy way too soon.

Mike White
04-29-2016, 05:09 PM
Something I have not heard a lot about when dicussing ball selection is how weight and speed play into it. Assuming your currently throwing a 10 # ball at 14.1 mph that means if you go up to 12 #s you will need to throw at 11.75 mph for the same force. And if you go to 14 #s you need 10.07 . I'll be 60 this year and I really do not see me upping the force I can put into the ball.
Granted a heavier ball will deflect less but it is relative to ball speed. If you do get a heavier ball make sure that you throw it hard enough so it doesn't rollout of energy way too soon.

You're close, but not quite using the proper formula.

Kinetic Energy is Mass times velocity squared.

The 10 LB ball at 14.1 mph would have 10 * 14.1 * 14.1 = 1988.1 units of kinetic energy.

For a 12 LB ball to have the same amount of kinetic energy it would have to be traveling sqrt(1988.1/12) = 12.9 mph.

For a 14 LB ball to have the same amount of kinetic energy it would have to be traveling sqrt(1988.1/14) = 11.9 mph.

The ball does not "rollout of energy".

The ball does lose forward speed, while gaining rev rate, and entry angle.

The higher the rev rate relative to release speed, the less forward speed is lost.

The bowler applies in the form of side roll, the ability for the ball to change direction.

If the bowler doesn't apply enough side roll for the conditions the ball travels over, the ball will stop changing direction before it's heading towards the preferred destination.

If you throw the ball harder, you need to compensate with a different amount of side roll.

If your launch angle is from left to right, the increase is ball speed at release would require an increase in side roll to achieve the same destination.

If you switch balls to a less friction surface, the ball will change direction slower, and lose the ability to change direction slower.

The goal is for the ball to have a consistent and sufficient ability to change direction as it exits the oil pattern.

jimgilmore
04-29-2016, 07:14 PM
well maybe roll out of energy is the wrong term. there is point at which the ball is just rolling and no longer sliding due the actions imparted on the ball by the bowler. How hard the bowler can throw, how much torque applied in a direction other than the direction the ball is traveling is the energy I am refering to.

NewToBowling
05-03-2016, 03:12 PM
You're close, but not quite using the proper formula.

Kinetic Energy is Mass times velocity squared.

The 10 LB ball at 14.1 mph would have 10 * 14.1 * 14.1 = 1988.1 units of kinetic energy.

For a 12 LB ball to have the same amount of kinetic energy it would have to be traveling sqrt(1988.1/12) = 12.9 mph.

For a 14 LB ball to have the same amount of kinetic energy it would have to be traveling sqrt(1988.1/14) = 11.9 mph.

The ball does not "rollout of energy".

The ball does lose forward speed, while gaining rev rate, and entry angle.

The higher the rev rate relative to release speed, the less forward speed is lost.

The bowler applies in the form of side roll, the ability for the ball to change direction.

If the bowler doesn't apply enough side roll for the conditions the ball travels over, the ball will stop changing direction before it's heading towards the preferred destination.

If you throw the ball harder, you need to compensate with a different amount of side roll.

If your launch angle is from left to right, the increase is ball speed at release would require an increase in side roll to achieve the same destination.

If you switch balls to a less friction surface, the ball will change direction slower, and lose the ability to change direction slower.

The goal is for the ball to have a consistent and sufficient ability to change direction as it exits the oil pattern.

<Randy Pedersen Voice>I thought match was not going to be a part of this thread</>