PDA

View Full Version : Differences in league bowling?

Dadman13
05-03-2016, 08:51 PM
My girlfriend and I started bowling the beginning of this year. We're looking at starting in a summer league soon to get our feet wet. What differences can I expect in league bowling vs. recreational/open bowling? I am also open to any tips or advice that you can give me regarding league bowling. Thanks!

Blomer
05-03-2016, 09:19 PM
First off, have FUN! Generally more serious bowling is during the season, so summer leagues will be a great start to see if you want to continue it in the fall. You will an average and handicap during a season compared to not having one that follows you when bowling for fun. You also bowl with others for a score where you bowl on your own otherwise. When someone is bowling next to you and is on their approach, stay down on the floor. You don't ever bowl when the guy next to you is bowling. Some places it's two lanes.

Amyers
05-04-2016, 09:05 AM
First off Blomer is correct have fun with it. Summer tends to be less competitive and more fun oriented anyway so pick a league that fits your schedule and enjoy. The main differences between league and open play are at most locations the lanes will be freshly oiled so you may see less hook than you are used too and that bowling with a competitive aspect can be different. Hope you find a league you like.

NewToBowling
05-04-2016, 09:45 AM
Summer leagues are usually about fun. Where I am there is usually only one competitive league in the summer (Here it's called Shootout, probably a national thing). The others are usually "get a ball" or "drink and pizza" leagues. First and foremost have fun but also learn proper etiquette like others have posted.

white_rabbitt
05-04-2016, 10:36 AM
Like Amyers said, I think the lane conditions are one of the biggest differences between open and league bowling. For the most part, you are going to get fresh oiled lanes for league. Again, like Amyers said, you might see your ball hook less (depending on what line you use) but you should also get more consistent reactions.

Aslan
05-04-2016, 01:05 PM
My girlfriend and I started bowling the beginning of this year. We're looking at starting in a summer league soon to get our feet wet.
You'll either love it or hate it.

The lane courtesy stuff is the first to learn...just like golf and other sports. Don't get on the approach when the bowler next to you is on the approach. Don't put powder all over your shoes or spill stuff on the floor. Don't use other people's equipment. If the ball bounces out of the gutter and hits a pin...that counts as a "0". Be ready to bowl when it's your turn. Minor stuff. It shouldn't be a "big deal"...but sometimes you run into a curmudgeon or someone that takes themselves too seriously...and they can tend to handle the situation the wrong way. Other than that, it's just recreational bowling.

Like I said initially, most new league bowlers I've encountered either love it and it enhances their passion for bowling and they get more and more into it....or they hate it because they aren't as good as everyone else and have to take turns and they just want to drink and throw the ball around and league play cramps their "style".

Huber
05-04-2016, 01:06 PM
There are a bunch of differences but all in a good way.

Most have been stated above. Biggest thing I can say is respect to other bowlers by lane curtsy around here it's 2 lanes on each side.

Jekyll & Hyde
05-04-2016, 07:04 PM
I would say just have fun and in the process learn the proper bowling Courtesy & Etiquette. i would also ask the lanes what you are looking for in a league that will meet your needs.

ep1977
05-05-2016, 03:18 PM
There are a bunch of differences but all in a good way.

Most have been stated above. Biggest thing I can say is respect to other bowlers by lane curtsy around here it's 2 lanes on each side.

2 lanes on each side must take forever to finish 3 games.

JasonNJ
05-05-2016, 03:55 PM

My house is like that too and it does take much longer. 6:30 league and some games go until 9:30-10PM and only 3 games.

classygranny
05-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Take a few minutes and learn some of the basic league rules. You can go to bowl.com to see all the USBC rules. Read the league rules and learn the basics. You will be more comfortable if you have a basic understanding of the more basic rules and you will appear that you care and are willing to learn and abide by the rules by the other league players.

foreverincamo
05-05-2016, 08:55 PM
My league takes 3 hours plus because of the 2 lanes to either side courtesy. If you only give one lane and go, you can get the look of death from the 165 average bowler you " interfered" with. Don't sweat such things in your first league. Go find a fun league. Many in the summer bowl 4 games. Mine does but it's a sport shot and it takes a game to get lined up.

Dadman13
05-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied! We are looking forward to the challenge, and think we're going to have a blast!

Huber
05-11-2016, 12:21 AM

Yes it does!

ep1977
05-11-2016, 06:41 AM
2 lane courtesy is ridiculous! Even PBA tournaments don't use it because of pace of play.

fordman1
05-11-2016, 10:36 AM
The 2 lane courtesy isn't the problem it is the people who aren't ready when it their turn. And the person who stands on the approach for 30 seconds twitching, looking at their hand and the floor counting boards.
Ever talk to that 165 average bowler and hear them talk about moving one board? They miss their spot by 3-5 boards on the lane so that one board move don't matter much.

IHateTenPins
05-11-2016, 12:56 PM
I don't bowl league yet but wow 2 lane courtesy. I'm surprised I even get 1 lane courtesy when I open bowl. I wish my bowling centers would have signs on lane ettiquette.

vdubtx
05-11-2016, 02:18 PM
1 pair courtesy on each side does not make it take longer, people just need to be ready to go when it is their turn.

I have bowled in local tournaments that utilize this and also the US Open last year, and the pace of play is actually very good.

Like mentioned, people have to be ready to go when it is their turn.

bnaidicz13
05-11-2016, 05:15 PM
1 pair courtesy on each side does not make it take longer, people just need to be ready to go when it is their turn.

I have bowled in local tournaments that utilize this and also the US Open last year, and the pace of play is actually very good.

Like mentioned, people have to be ready to go when it is their turn.

I agree that being ready when it's your turn is almost equally important to the one lane courtesy.

Aslan
05-17-2016, 02:19 PM
I've never seen 2-lane courtesy around here. I know that was a mainstay back in the 60s/70s...but I thought that pretty much went away.

I think it would add a huge amount of time...especially with the older bowlers that take forever. There's times I'll be standing there...waiting for some old lady who is taking like 1-2 minutes to get "ready" and slowly walk to the line...then stand there while her ball travels 6mph down the lane...

...meanwhile...the person to my left has taken both shots and the next player is on the approach...so now I gotta hope he's fast enough that I can get a shot in before the old lady gets her ball back and she takes her 2nd shot.

Amyers
05-17-2016, 02:46 PM
I've never seen 2-lane courtesy around here. I know that was a mainstay back in the 60s/70s...but I thought that pretty much went away.

I think it would add a huge amount of time...especially with the older bowlers that take forever. There's times I'll be standing there...waiting for some old lady who is taking like 1-2 minutes to get "ready" and slowly walk to the line...then stand there while her ball travels 6mph down the lane...

...meanwhile...the person to my left has taken both shots and the next player is on the approach...so now I gotta hope he's fast enough that I can get a shot in before the old lady gets her ball back and she takes her 2nd shot.

Been there done that too. I've never bowled with 2 lane courtesy either but on my travel league I have seen bowlers who wait until they have both lanes clear before bowling and it's annoying. To be honest the only reason I want single lane courtesy is because of the possibility of injury. You never know when someone is going to take a fall even with experienced bowlers. I'm perfectly capable of blocking out what someone is doing on the other lane.

fordman1
05-17-2016, 04:28 PM
Do you wait for the bowler next to you to get off the lane or get ready as soon as he has left for the foul line?

ep1977
05-17-2016, 05:22 PM
Do you wait for the bowler next to you to get off the lane or get ready as soon as he has left for the foul line?

I step up as soon as the person on my side lets go of the ball.

1VegasBowler
05-17-2016, 07:58 PM
This one is a PBA rule. USBC say 1 lane courtesy.

ep1977
05-17-2016, 08:01 PM
This one is a PBA rule. USBC say 1 lane courtesy.

PBA uses 1 lane not 2.

1VegasBowler
05-17-2016, 08:04 PM
Being ready to bowl is one of the things that slows down league play no matter where you go.

Everybody understands that you may have to "step away" for a minute, and if you have to just let your teammates know.

I had surgery for kidney stones last month that included a stent from my kidney to my bladder. Everybody knew that I had to "step away" quite often and they understood why. And if I remember correctly, there was only 2 times I wasn't right there ready to bowl in a 3 week span.

1VegasBowler
05-17-2016, 08:13 PM
PBA uses 1 lane not 2.

Maybe I'm interpreting this incorrectly, but this is what it says:

Lane Courtesy and Double Jumping
Competitors must observe one (1) pair lane courtesy at all times. Competitors may not "Double Jump." Double jumping occurs following a delivery when a competitor on the same pair delivers his or her ball before one (1) competitor from the pair to the right and one (1) competitor from the pair to the left have made a delivery, unless those competitors are not ready to bowl or they give way.

ep1977
05-17-2016, 08:44 PM

Competitors must observe one (1) pair lane courtesy at all times. Competitors may not "Double Jump." Double jumping occurs following a delivery when a competitor on the same pair delivers his or her ball before one (1) competitor from the pair to the right and one (1) competitor from the pair to the left have made a delivery, unless those competitors are not ready to bowl or they give way.

From the FAQ on the PBA site: The PBA employs a one (1) pair lane courtesy at all times

Aslan
05-21-2016, 02:10 PM

It depends. If it's a higher average, older, curmudgeony bowler...I try to stay away from the ball return until they have let go of the ball. If it's just open bowling...I usually will only wait until the person next to me has started moving towards the foul line. Most of the time, in league, once they are moving towards the foul line...I'll step up and start getting in my stance....then I wait for them to come back to the ball return before I start my approach.

I bowl a lot of open bowling for practice...so I can block out most of the movement and noise. But I'm big and tall...and sometimes my leg kick can get a bit extreme...and sometimes my balance isn't so great and "fall off" the shot...so as Amyers said...I don't like to approach the foul line with someone there. Practicing in Vegas once, I actually almost hurt a lady because she was standing at the foul line dancing around after she let her shot go....I got sick of waiting for her...and I just went. Well, her "dance" took her into my path and her arm hit my chest as I was about to release the ball. Didn't hurt me any...but it kinda hurt her arm....and it coulda been worse. Needless to say, she got the message, and did her dancing off the approach from that point onward.

bowl1820
05-21-2016, 04:24 PM

From the FAQ on the PBA site: The PBA employs a one (1) pair lane courtesy at all times

Most leagues use one lane Courtesy, also one lane Courtesy isn't actually a USBC rule. It's only listed in the "Etiquette Information" so isn't technically a "rule" .

So you don't technically have to give it, Unless it's actually included in the league or tournament rules as a rule.

PBA use's what most people refer to as 2 lane courtesy, which is listed in the PBA rules as : one (1) pair lane courtesy.

1 "pair" of lanes is 2 lanes aka: "2 lane courtesy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E92veWiqWL4

IHateTenPins
05-24-2016, 11:47 AM
I just asked my center what the lane courtesy is for leagues and they said most of them do the 2 lane courtesy. I'm planning on bowling as much as I can with the AMF summer pass and joining my first league in the winter, 2 lane courtesy is going to be an adjustment.

Mike White
05-24-2016, 02:01 PM
I just asked my center what the lane courtesy is for leagues and they said most of them do the 2 lane courtesy. I'm planning on bowling as much as I can with the AMF summer pass and joining my first league in the winter, 2 lane courtesy is going to be an adjustment.

Don't be surprised if you find out the person you asked ends up not having a clue.

fordman1
05-24-2016, 02:59 PM
Ask the League secretary or President the center has no say in what the league does. Or maybe just keep your eyes open and it shouldn't be that hard to figure our. Ask your teammates. I don't remember ever bowling in a league that had one lane courtesy. Maybe it is just a local preference.

stargell1
06-18-2016, 05:02 PM
Don't be surprised if you find out the person you asked ends up not having a clue.

One lane courtesy where I bowl.

Tampabaybob
06-18-2016, 06:42 PM
One lane on either side. Two lane courtesy...give me a break. What are we bowling in the PBA here? A five man team league would take 4 1/2 hours to finish if they went with two on each side. Wow.

1VegasBowler
06-18-2016, 08:38 PM
USBC Super Seniors - 1 Pair courtesy. Takes 6 hours for 8 games.

ep1977
06-18-2016, 09:13 PM
One lane on either side. Two lane courtesy...give me a break. What are we bowling in the PBA here? A five man team league would take 4 1/2 hours to finish if they went with two on each side. Wow.

Agree 100%

fordman1
06-18-2016, 10:19 PM
4 1/2 hours is not true. We have 2 lane courtesy, but not all courtesy is the same. Once the bowler has started his approach the next guy should be getting ready to go. Not waiting until they have come back. We have some teams getting done in 2 3/4 hrs. and some in 3 1/4 some throw more balls than others. That's with lucky strike and lucky digit slowing things down. Those thousand dollar pots will do that.
If it takes 4 1/2 hours it must be a beginners league with a bunch of gabby folks.

ep1977
06-18-2016, 10:32 PM
4 1/2 hours is not true. We have 2 lane courtesy, but not all courtesy is the same. Once the bowler has started his approach the next guy should be getting ready to go. Not waiting until they have come back. We have some teams getting done in 2 3/4 hrs. and some in 3 1/4 some throw more balls than others. That's with lucky strike and lucky digit slowing things down. Those thousand dollar pots will do that.
If it takes 4 1/2 hours it must be a beginners league with a bunch of gabby folks.

Around here most 4 man leagues using one lane courtesy take 3 hours.

fordman1
06-19-2016, 10:42 AM
Now that is slow.

ep1977
06-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Now that is slow.

I prefer doubles because of how long 4 man takes. Doubles move very fast which is what I like.

Tampabaybob
06-23-2016, 12:10 PM
I bowl on a 5 man team league that starts at 7pm. We normally will finish between 10 & 10:30. If we had to give two lane courtesy in a 32 team league, figure it out ..... 11 to 11:30. Our league rules specify "One lane courtesy". If I'm bowling and someone is up two lanes over, I'm not going to step off. If they don't like it, join another league that has 2 lane courtesy. The only exception to that is if someone a a couple or few lanes over getting up in the 10th frame going for a 300 game. Then I would wait.

If someone has that little focus and gets distracted from 2 lanes away, I'd say he'd better buy a pair of horse blinders to wear.

NewToBowling
06-23-2016, 12:27 PM
Horse blinders should come as standard accessory with any shoe or ball purchase :)

bowl1820
06-23-2016, 12:40 PM
They actually have blinders (blinkers) for bowlers, some proshops use to carry them.

NewToBowling
06-23-2016, 01:00 PM
They actually have blinders (blinkers) for bowlers, some proshops use to carry them.

Yeah, but anyone wearing them would look silly

Amyers
06-23-2016, 01:30 PM
Yeah, but anyone wearing them would look silly

Have you ever seen most league bowlers? I think looking silly passed most of them long before. :rolleyes:

NewToBowling
06-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Have you ever seen most league bowlers? I think looking silly passed most of them long before. :rolleyes:

But you could try to pass it off. Wearing blinders = instant nerd/tool

We could get Aslan to try them on though