PDA

View Full Version : Need ball help

Royalt239
05-13-2016, 12:26 PM
okay so long story short, kinda. I used to bowl weekly and just bought a $70 ball or whatever from sports authority and loved it and can no longer find it, it gave me my highest game of 225. I'm a righty and play with no thumb and have always had good luck with house balls. Moved to a new city and am starting bowling weekly again and was using the house balls and have to line up to the right and I can get the perfect hook in the middle of the lane and I crush it with a 15-16lb house ball. But I wanted a good ball so I went out and traded for a used Hammer Bad ***. I cannot for the life of me figure out the Bad ***. I line up in the middle and at the back end it hooks to much, on the right hooks way to much, if I line up lefty it still hooks to much and its all at the back end of the lane. I've gotten a few good frames out of it but I have to completely alter how I twist my wrist, soften it up. I don't like that, I like using "power". Any ball anyone can recommend? Should I just stick to the house balls? With a house ball I'm averaging 160 or so with a high of 181 after not bowling for about a year. Full games with the Bad *** I was only putting up like 101 lol. Any help is appreciated for a beginner.

Mike White
05-13-2016, 05:27 PM
okay so long story short, kinda. I used to bowl weekly and just bought a $70 ball or whatever from sports authority and loved it and can no longer find it, it gave me my highest game of 225. I'm a righty and play with no thumb and have always had good luck with house balls. Moved to a new city and am starting bowling weekly again and was using the house balls and have to line up to the right and I can get the perfect hook in the middle of the lane and I crush it with a 15-16lb house ball. But I wanted a good ball so I went out and traded for a used Hammer Bad ***. I cannot for the life of me figure out the Bad ***. I line up in the middle and at the back end it hooks to much, on the right hooks way to much, if I line up lefty it still hooks to much and its all at the back end of the lane. I've gotten a few good frames out of it but I have to completely alter how I twist my wrist, soften it up. I don't like that, I like using "power". Any ball anyone can recommend? Should I just stick to the house balls? With a house ball I'm averaging 160 or so with a high of 181 after not bowling for about a year. Full games with the Bad *** I was only putting up like 101 lol. Any help is appreciated for a beginner.

A couple of threads that deal with your situation.

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/19511-Recommendations-for-a-new-bowling-ball?p=142456&viewfull=1#post142456

You already have the high performance ball, so you can see the advice in that thread is valid.

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/19431-Please-help?p=141398&viewfull=1#post141398

This might help you find a useable line with the new ball.

Royalt239
05-13-2016, 06:20 PM
on the first one someone was talking about the Strike King and I think they may have that at my pro shop. Definitely want to check it out after reading the reviews. Thank you for the links!

larry mc
05-15-2016, 09:49 PM
check out the new rhino

RobLV1
05-15-2016, 10:47 PM
I've heard that the new Rhino will be replacing the Strike King as the Brunswick entry level ball.

Royalt239
05-16-2016, 12:21 PM
What's the difference between the two reactive coverstocks? It's only a $7 difference between the two balls

Amyers
05-16-2016, 12:55 PM
What's the difference between the two reactive coverstocks? It's only a $7 difference between the two balls

Good luck finding that out. I figure the newer cover is somewhat stronger. The Rhino does have a slightly stronger core than the Strike King.

1VegasBowler
05-16-2016, 01:31 PM
The $7 difference really isn't much of a difference when it comes to entry level balls.

However, with that said, I think too many of the balls are way over priced to begin with. The manufacturers prey on those who want the latest and greatest that are used by the pros. They want you to follow what the pros are doing despite the fact that those new balls could very well not be good for your style of game.

While I am certainly a big fan of Ryan Ciminelli and the DV8 line, I don't like the Thug Life or the Diva XOXO he uses, especially the Thug Life. I tried it for about 20 minutes at an Expo here in Vegas and I did not like it whatsoever.

The Vandal and the Thug Unruly fit my game perfectly. And when I add the Brunswick Vintage Danger Zone and Ultimate Nirvana, they too will fit my game better than most.

Then again, with Johnny Petraglia, Jr., as my PSO, he will certainly setup these balls for optimum performance for my game. lol

Royalt239
05-16-2016, 05:44 PM
not worried about the $7 difference just didn't know if it's anything substantially different between the two... Anyone want to buy a Hammer Bad-*** or trade a Rhino or Strike King for one?? lol

got_a_300
05-16-2016, 11:00 PM
Anyone want to buy a Hammer Bad-*** or trade a Rhino or Strike King for one?? lol

Hey Royalt239 how much does the Badass weigh and how much do you want for it?
I have one of them and like it quite a lot it never does hurt to have more than one
of them.LOL!!!!!

There would be no shipping charges as I could pick the ball up because I live about
50 or so miles from you if the price is right and the weight is right.

1VegasBowler
05-17-2016, 03:26 AM
not worried about the $7 difference just didn't know if it's anything substantially different between the two... Anyone want to buy a Hammer Bad-*** or trade a Rhino or Strike King for one?? lol

Not a lot of difference with entry level balls except for the core designs.

It would probably be more beneficial to get a ball 1 step up from a Rhino or Strike King to a Vintage Danger Zone. Very smooth in transition and seems to pick up more speed as it gets towards the pins, and hits the pins harder than you would imagine.

I'm actually going to order/get my Vintage Danger Zone on Tuesday. I'm calling my PSO first thing to see if he has a #12 in stock. If he does I will be there in a flash! lol

If I have to wait a day or 2 for it, I'll be outta here as soon as he says it's there! lol

And depending on how much money I get from my Wednesday night bowling, I could very well be getting my Ultimate Nirvana before the weekend. If I don't have the dineros for it, I can wait until August because that was my original plan.

No matter how long it takes to get those 2 balls, I'll have a deadly arsenal for pretty much any lane condition.

Royalt239
05-17-2016, 05:35 PM
It's 15lbs. I actually just posted it on facebook to sell it so I can try and get one of the new entry level balls. 75?

Hey Royalt239 how much does the Badass weigh and how much do you want for it?
I have one of them and like it quite a lot it never does hurt to have more than one
of them.LOL!!!!!

There would be no shipping charges as I could pick the ball up because I live about
50 or so miles from you if the price is right and the weight is right.

Royalt239
05-17-2016, 05:36 PM
I worry that that's still going to be too much of a step up still :(

[COLOR="#FF0000"]

Not a lot of difference with entry level balls except for the core designs.

It would probably be more beneficial to get a ball 1 step up from a Rhino or Strike King to a Vintage Danger Zone. Very smooth in transition and seems to pick up more speed as it gets towards the pins, and hits the pins harder than you would imagine.

I'm actually going to order/get my Vintage Danger Zone on Tuesday. I'm calling my PSO first thing to see if he has a #12 in stock. If he does I will be there in a flash! lol

If I have to wait a day or 2 for it, I'll be outta here as soon as he says it's there! lol

And depending on how much money I get from my Wednesday night bowling, I could very well be getting my Ultimate Nirvana before the weekend. If I don't have the dineros for it, I can wait until August because that was my original plan.

No matter how long it takes to get those 2 balls, I'll have a deadly arsenal for pretty much any lane condition.

1VegasBowler
05-17-2016, 06:05 PM

If drilled properly, it won't be too much of a step up.

It has a symetrical core with one of the smoothest and predictable arcs, and goes longer down the lane.

It's one of the best balls out there for multiple patterns, especially a THS.

Check this video our from Lane Side Reviews - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI3WWqoBSu0

Royalt239
05-17-2016, 06:15 PM
can't watch, I'm "working" lol will look at it later. That's another thing I never knew drilling a ball made a difference lol. Theres so much to learn for a guy who bowls every Wednesday with his wife just to show his athletic dominance lmao

If drilled properly, I won't be too much of a step up.

It has a symetrical core with one of the smoothest and predictable arcs, and goes longer down the lane.

It's one of the best balls out there for multiple patterns, especially a THS.

Check this video our from Lane Side Reviews - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI3WWqoBSu0

1VegasBowler
05-17-2016, 06:24 PM
can't watch, I'm "working" lol will look at it later. That's another thing I never knew drilling a ball made a difference lol. Theres so much to learn for a guy who bowls every Wednesday with his wife just to show his athletic dominance lmao

LMAO Now we know! The ego took over!

Lane Side Reviews is my first "go to" when I'm looking at another ball for my arsenal. They do their videos on a THS and show you how the balls are drilled for the video. Though they are all the same drilling, the 3 guys that bowl all have different ball speeds, revs and approaches.

Once I see their video, my next stop is to Johnny Petraglia, Jr. for his opinion(s). It ends up being funny with him because of what we like and dislike about some of the balls, and we practically have the same ones! Only a couple that he has I don't have, but that will be changing very soon. lol

1VegasBowler
05-17-2016, 06:27 PM
And as a side note, I plan on talking with him about some coaching when he's available to do so.

Amyers
05-18-2016, 08:54 AM

The Bad A$$ is a very aggressive ball but if your used to throwing house balls especially house plastic balls any ball is going to be a big step up in reaction. Don't be surprised if you need to change where you play on the lanes and make some changes to how you release the ball to be successful. Hopefully you can learn to adjust and put a little less into the delivery and that will make you more consistent in your game. Once you get your new ball if there are qualified coaches in your area you may want to strongly consider getting some coaching.

Royalt239
05-18-2016, 10:46 AM
The Bad A$$ is a very aggressive ball but if your used to throwing house balls especially house plastic balls any ball is going to be a big step up in reaction. Don't be surprised if you need to change where you play on the lanes and make some changes to how you release the ball to be successful. Hopefully you can learn to adjust and put a little less into the delivery and that will make you more consistent in your game. Once you get your new ball if there are qualified coaches in your area you may want to strongly consider getting some coaching.

I believe they have some certified coaches. If I can sell the Bad A$$ I think I'm going to test out the Strike King, I believe I saw it in our alleys pro shop, and give that a go.