PDA

View Full Version : Do you like color pin?

The KingPin
02-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Hello to all,

I am curious if anyone like color pin bowling or if it is a distraction?

bowl1820
02-09-2009, 07:53 PM
You mean when used in things like jackpot or moonlight bowling? It's fine by me I've bowled in many. A cool one was at a place where you had to get a strike on a rack of extra heavy solid black pins with the lane and pin deck lights out.

A friend with me one night got picked and won it, I think it was a $1200 pot that night.

Jord_84
02-09-2009, 08:41 PM
I miss moonlights =(
It seems like they only do them as fundraisers around here.

When I was little, my family's bowling alley had one every Sat. night. I don't remember it being scotch doubles but I can't remember. But they had a pot and drew tickets to see who could be the first to get a strike at the other end of the house with all the lights off.
I'm pissed that I never got to do a moonlight there!

The Bowling Guru
02-12-2009, 11:48 PM
I actually find cosmic, or moonlight bowling to be a great form of concentration. With little kids running around, flashing lights, and smoke bellowing out of the walls, it really makes you focus on your game. I actually make it a point to bowl during cosmic hours (usually Saturday at my local center), since I am a firm believer in if you can bowl when there are distractions, you can bowl when they're aren't.

Iceman
02-12-2009, 11:54 PM
This is a good point - distractions usually cost us a few frames each night. Pins don't bother me, as I never look at them when I get on approach. I do see if all pins are there as I'm walking up and take a quick glance at the pocket, but once I pick my ball up and get into my routine, I never look at the pins, I stare at my target even during my routine. (wipe, tell myself I'm relaxed, stand on the approach, hand position and then go) I've shortened my routine a lot, helps me stay in a easy flow, so when I get on strings I don't vary timing. The recap series show our frame times per person, I used to be 52 seconds avg from the time the arrows on my name, and now I'm down to about 35 avg. You do have to take lane courtesy into that also - so it's not accurate 100%.

TJSieling
02-15-2009, 12:41 AM
I can't stand the distractions, but no one does. :rolleyes: I try to make it a point to get a lane for everyone with me either close to the end of the building, or try to get a lane with empty lanes on either side.

We weren't so fortunate today, we started with empty lanes on either side, but they both filled with kids between 5 and 7. the adults never bowled. it took all we had to keep ourselves up with lane courtesy and letting the kids go first if they got up first... but you know how much it throws your concentration off if you're ready to go, you're on your dots and the kid throws the ball and stands in YOUR lane to watch their ball go down to the pins? the parents never say anything and by the time they move, you're so out of focus, you only get 3 pins...

But I won't complain too much, I did the same thing when I was 5. :D

As for the glowing pins, I love those pins. You don't focus on what's around you so much as half using the pin for your own targeting. Like a headpin in the cosmic bowling area, it lights up like a beacon and you just have the perfect target... a bright neon green pin among white pins... It just screams "HIT ME HIT ME!"

The Bowling Guru
02-15-2009, 08:58 AM
I actually did some moonlight bowling last night, just to work on my game when the lanest burnt out. Let me tell you, those lanes were BURNT. I started playing with my left leg up against the ball return (I was on the right lane), and played out to 5. I had to stay firm, and anytime I got soft, I would split because my Cell would just rip back through the nose. By the later part of the night, around 12:30 a.m., I was playing in front of the ball return with a modified 2 step approach. I also found a nice line with my Link playing 15 out to 10, since there happenedto be a nice oil strip right there, but if i missed right or left, forget about it.

All of this while bowling next to the six most annoying people I have ever bowled with in my life. Everything from taking pictures to running on my lane to falling down after every shot. Talk about a distraction.

The KingPin
02-25-2009, 09:19 PM
I agree that it helps to have the distractions as when you are in a stressful situation on the lanes and you need to make your spare, no matter what happens, unless an earthquake, you will stay focused.