PDA

View Full Version : Does any Hunt or Fish here?

The KingPin
02-09-2009, 08:10 PM
So its a great hobby for some and not so much for others. Fishing and Hunting are very popular for some people.

So does anyone here fish or hunt? If so what do you like about it and if not why do you dislike it?

jaws1945
02-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Once spring arrives that means fishing season for me. I find it very relaxing

The KingPin
02-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Once spring arrives that means fishing season for me. I find it very relaxing

I agree sitting on the shore or on a boat listening to the water is great for me.

Jord_84
02-10-2009, 01:04 PM
I'd like to take the kids fishing once it warms up.

but every time I think about taking them fishing....I get that scene from "There's Something About Mary" stuck in my head....the one where Ben Stiller get's a hook through the cheek.

I'm afraid my son might hook one of us trying to cast lol

Iceman
02-10-2009, 02:27 PM
HAHA - that is funny about that movie, it's always scary when kids are fishing.

My coach loves to fish and somehow talked me in to going to Florida last July near Clearwater to do some shark fishing. I was more nervous on that pier than I ever was. He had 1000 dollar reels that almost weighed as much as my bowling balls. I remember he kept telling me, you better hold onto the reel or your going in after it.

The first night, we got a few bites, but no action. It was a relaxing time, we didn't even drink that night. I had a nice time. We sat out there from 5:00 pm until 2:00 am.

We went back next evening at 4:00 - at 6:30, all hell broke loose. We got a reel running right next to where I was sitting, I just froze. Chuck ran down and picked it up snagged it, and started reeling or attempting too. He handed me the pole and said brace yourself - don't let go. After 30 minutes of beating myself up, grinding the pole butt into my stomach and leaving a bruise after it was all done, we had a 220 lb Nurse (nerve) shark on the pier. When I saw that thing surface near the pear, I almost fell down. I have never felt that much power against me. I was soaking wet from the sweat and wore out like I could sleep for days. He was laughing the whole time, as I was wrapper around the pier post trying to hold onto the reel and turn the line. It had the clutch type, so when the shark wanted line, he took it. lol

After the excitement was all done, I sat down, then laid down on the chair I brought, I was trying to catch my breath when a second reel started buzzing. Of course Chuck ran down there and yanked on it a few times and yelled for me to come get it. I said I'm done, he said no your not. So I got there and the power of this reel was even more intense then the shark was, it took 100 yards of line even after i locked it up. When I pulled as hard I could, we saw the fish jump up in the air. It was a Tarpin. That thing tore me apart. I gave the reel back to Chuck and he even had a hard time - fought with that thing for 45 minutes until it ran under the pier and got stuck. He broke the line and rebaited.

I remember when we left around 9:30 - we stopped at a local bar for a drink. He was still laughing and telling everyone at the bar. It was a good time, but I recall saying, I'll stick with bowling. He made me promise to come down again this year so we can get a really big fish. How much bigger could they get. I said next time, I'll just catch the bait. :D I'm sure I'll go down again this summer, and I'm sure I'll have a reel in my hand one night.

ArtVandelay
02-10-2009, 08:13 PM
I really enjoy fishing. I worked for Bass Pro Shop once upon a time. I never got into hunting though. They don't have a shoot and release system for hunting....

ThongPrincess
02-10-2009, 10:30 PM
When I was a kid we used to go backpacking for a week or two every summer. My brother and I would race ahead of the rest of the family and as soon as we got to the lake or stream where we were stopping for the night, we'd take out the fishing poles. There's nothing like the taste of fresh trout.

We also did some ocean fishing during the winter camping adventures. I took my girls a few times, but they didn't really appreciate it. I haven't been fishing in quite a few years.

The KingPin
02-10-2009, 11:00 PM
I really enjoy fishing. I worked for Bass Pro Shop once upon a time. I never got into hunting though. They don't have a shoot and release system for hunting....

Wow Bass Pro Shop. It would be hard for many people to even have a pay check working there.

The KingPin
02-10-2009, 11:02 PM
When I was a kid we used to go backpacking for a week or two every summer. My brother and I would race ahead of the rest of the family and as soon as we got to the lake or stream where we were stopping for the night, we'd take out the fishing poles. There's nothing like the taste of fresh trout.

We also did some ocean fishing during the winter camping adventures. I took my girls a few times, but they didn't really appreciate it. I haven't been fishing in quite a few years.

Wow Ocean Fishing. I think I may get sick on something like that.

JerseyJim
02-11-2009, 12:55 AM
I do a lot of river smallmouth bass fishing, that's my passion. I fish for just about anything else on occasion.