PDA

View Full Version : Are sports stuck in the guild system

jimgilmore
06-01-2016, 08:57 PM
The more learn about sports I sometimes wonder if we are still living in the guild system. I repeatedly see videos that spend 10 or minutes but tell you absolutely nothing useful. A good example is the one saying why you leave a ringing ten vs a weak 10 base on each you need to make the appropriate move ? and that move is ???? not even discussed in the video.
after working with the PSO I have 2 balls 1 a 10 pounds and the other an 11 pounds. The 10 pound ball is supposed to be my spare ball but does hook some at the back end. I went to the 11 pounder hoping I may be able to work up to at least a 12 pound ball in the future but no clue when that will be. The Pso does not seem to have any interest in creating an arsenal since he does not think a ball without a weight block will do anything different . So I really have to wonder where that leaves bowlers at the low end of the ball weight range?
As for finding a different pso there does not seem to be one any where close.

billf
06-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Is there a reason you are using such a light weight? Your PSO is saving you money and his time in not helping to create an arsenal at this weight. Best way to change reaction at this weight is to change ball surface.
Easiest way to increase your carry is to get your form to where you can move up in weight.

The videos I've seen about flat and ringing ten pins said what the issue was, too little and too high entry angle respectively. How you choose to adjust the entry angle depends on ability and personal preference.

fordman1
06-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Bill in his profile it says he has a disability. Maybe that is all the weight he can handle.

billf
06-05-2016, 11:39 AM
That would suck.
The only manufacturer I can think of off the top of my head that makes cores for balls under 12 lbs is Motiv. Still the cheapest way would be to buy 2 or 3 of the same inexpensive ball and put different surfaces on them.

jimgilmore
06-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Yes, I am disabled.Right now I wear a soft knee brace on my rt knee. A full wrap around brace on the left knee with rom limits on it. i have a slide on wrist brace that i wear on my right wrist to help limit the pain the plate on my right ulnar causes me and and elbow wrap to help with the tendonitis i have had in the right elbow. I have pain in both shoulder and take meds for the pain. I'm trying to see if I can move up in weight but so far it is doubtful. I bowled 5 practice games today but My average ball speed does not seem to be going up any time soom and thats with an 11 # ball. I know of max out at 12.4 for ball speed with the 10 # ball.

billf
06-07-2016, 04:17 PM
Weight versus speed has a point of diminishing returns. Either way your health and quality of life the hours after bowling are far more important.
Just understand and accept you will get more deflection with either being lower than ideal even of seemingly good shots. Work more on accuracy which will really help with spares. Don't be afraid to write down feet and target for each. Think outside the box a bit to allow the extra deflection to help in these instances.

For instance the 5-7 split. Move 4 left with your feet (right handed), same target and see what happens and adjust from there. Bowler variables (tilt, rotation, etc.) will determine when and how much your ball will move compared to another.
5-10 try moving way left and angling the ball to hit the left side of the 5 pin so probably around 5th arrow.

Being consistent and (fairly) accurate are hard enough but when combining differing intensities of chronic pain adds a whole new variable some just can't comprehend. Each day is different so just keep doing the best you can. At the end of the day it's still just a game in a sport we love.

Mike White
06-08-2016, 03:47 AM
Is there a reason you are using such a light weight? Your PSO is saving you money and his time in not helping to create an arsenal at this weight. Best way to change reaction at this weight is to change ball surface.
Easiest way to increase your carry is to get your form to where you can move up in weight.

The videos I've seen about flat and ringing ten pins said what the issue was, too little and too high entry angle respectively. How you choose to adjust the entry angle depends on ability and personal preference.

These videos you've seen are most likely wrong.

A ringing 10 pin can be cause by too little entry angle, while a flat ten is caused by hitting too light in the pocket.