PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever hear of an old PBA member named Carlise?

LOUVIT
06-08-2016, 04:21 PM
he must be in his 60's now, I met him today in my senior league. he said he owned a pro shop and was a PBA member way back. he has leg issues now but still throws a nice ball. he is or was also an instructor. His son bowls at oakfield lanes in brandon Fl and averages like 240 he said. The reason I'm asking is because he is giving me advice on how my new ball should be drilled next week. he said pin down and right gives you better options with the hook. that is actually the way my old ball is drilled now but my ball is too old and doesn't work on new surfaces.

thanks
Lou

Mike White
06-08-2016, 05:56 PM
he must be in his 60's now, I met him today in my senior league. he said he owned a pro shop and was a PBA member way back. he has leg issues now but still throws a nice ball. he is or was also an instructor. His son bowls at oakfield lanes in brandon Fl and averages like 240 he said. The reason I'm asking is because he is giving me advice on how my new ball should be drilled next week. he said pin down and right gives you better options with the hook. that is actually the way my old ball is drilled now but my ball is too old and doesn't work on new surfaces.

thanks
Lou

If he uses terms like pin down, and right to describe how the ball is to be drilled, ya gotta question how up to date he is on drilling practices.

LOUVIT
06-08-2016, 06:05 PM
he actually said pin at 2 o'clock and most pro shops just like to put in at 12.

Mike White
06-08-2016, 06:22 PM
he actually said pin at 2 o'clock and most pro shops just like to put in at 12.

The problem is that description does not position the core based on how you roll the ball.

Putting the pin at 2 o'clock is a location relative to the center of your grip.

How you roll the ball (your PAP) is different for each person.

How far the pin is from your PAP changes how much flare you can expect.

If the Pin is at 2 o'clock, your probably going to end up with a short pin to pap distance, which means you end up with a low flaring ball.

Low flaring means the ball tracks over the oil on the surface of the ball multiple times, and results in less hook.

Its like trying to run on ice, but the ice gets attached to your shoes, so even when you're no longer on an ice surface, there is still ice between your shoes and the ground.

A flaring ball acts like you have windshield wipers on the bottom of your shoes. After each step, the ice is wiped off, so once you get past the iced area, you have good shoe to ground contact.

fortheloveofbowling
06-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Lou, let me ask a couple questions. Are you right handed and did you get this ball used from a left hander?

LOUVIT
06-08-2016, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=fortheloveofbowling;144231]Lou, let me ask a couple questions. Are you right handed and did you get this ball used from a left hander?[/QUOTE

dam your good, yes I did. he was a lefty, I know I had something plugged and drilled to fit but it may have been only the thumb. It was like 7-8 years ago I bought it used from a lefty but never really used it. Now I'm ready to get serious again.

my current ball bought from lefty, that will not hook a board and I used to be a cranker...(I'm a righty}

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/louvit/NVS%20pin_zpsf6l5gbgc.jpg

fortheloveofbowling
06-08-2016, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=fortheloveofbowling;144231]Lou, let me ask a couple questions. Are you right handed and did you get this ball used from a left hander?[/QUOTE

dam your good, yes I did. he was a lefty, I know I had something plugged and drilled to fit but it may have been only the thumb. It was like 7-8 years ago I bought it used from a lefty but never really used it. Now I'm ready to get serious again.

I am very surprised that a few guys on here did not point out the mass bias markings location. That is the mark to the left of your thumb hole. The drilling angle as dictated by the white pin marker to your pap and the mass bias affects how long the ball stays in the skid phase. With that massive angle that ball will have a hell of a time picking up for anyone. If you have shown that ball to a pro shop and they didn't help you, don't go back.

fortheloveofbowling
06-08-2016, 07:18 PM
Yeah, that ball would roll ALOT EARLIER for a lefty. Of course i have not seen you throw the ball so even with todays equipment you still have to put a little something on it. Not much but just above kicking it.

LOUVIT
06-08-2016, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=LOUVIT;144233]

I am very surprised that a few guys on here did not point out the mass bias markings location. That is the mark to the left of your thumb hole. The drilling angle as dictated by the white pin marker to your pap and the mass bias affects how long the ball stays in the skid phase. With that massive angle that ball will have a hell of a time picking up for anyone. If you have shown that ball to a pro shop and they didn't help you, don't go back.

ok this ball is going to be gone except maybe for spares. I'm looking into the storm hyroad or the hammer scandal. at 14 or 15#. I am a senior with back issues.

fortheloveofbowling
06-08-2016, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=fortheloveofbowling;144234]

ok this ball is going to be gone except maybe for spares. I'm looking into the storm hyroad or the hammer scandal. at 14 or 15#. I am a senior with back issues.

Do yourself a favor and check around for a good ball driller since you are just getting back into it. Good luck to you.

LOUVIT
06-08-2016, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=LOUVIT;144237]

Do yourself a favor and check around for a good ball driller since you are just getting back into it. Good luck to you.

my pro shop owner is Tom Daughtery and there's a guy named Hal that is a coach. Hal said the ball was drilled wrong, Tom just said quickly that ball won't work. Hal is Hollywoodhal47 on youtube, I think he tests balls for companies or something. I cna tell you I do not get under the ball alot or cup it. So I need a ball that will do the work for me.

fortheloveofbowling
06-08-2016, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=fortheloveofbowling;144238]

my pro shop owner is Tom Daughtery and there's a guy named Hal that is a coach. Hal said the ball was drilled wrong, Tom just said quickly that ball won't work. Hal is Hollywoodhal47 on youtube, I think he tests balls for companies or something.

You definitely found out he was right about not working huh? It would be a challenge to get that to read the lane for sure. I'm sure Mr. Daugherty will do a great job on your new ball.

LOUVIT
06-08-2016, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=LOUVIT;144239]

You definitely found out he was right about not working huh? It would be a challenge to get that to read the lane for sure. I'm sure Mr. Daugherty will do a great job on your new ball.

thanks so much, you cleared up alot for me! I hope Tom gives me more attention than he did when I walked in a few weeks ago. I am going to ask him to watch me throw a few frames and help me with ball choice and drill pattern. So in you
opinion where should the pin be when drilling at 2 o'clock or 12?

fortheloveofbowling
06-08-2016, 07:49 PM
I have not watched you bowl so i won't guess as to what you need. Tom daugherty is more than capable of giving you a good fit for your game.

LOUVIT
06-08-2016, 07:56 PM
I have not watched you bowl so i won't guess as to what you need. Tom daugherty is more than capable of giving you a good fit for your game.

I hope Tom steers me in the right direction I'm not the guy who will have 3-6 balls. I just want one good one that will hook. I can handle a hooking ball I think. 14 or 15# ball at 13 mph, well I throw 13 mph with my 16# maybe I'll pick up on MPH with a lighter ball

Amyers
06-09-2016, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=LOUVIT;144233]

Good catch FTLOB that thing is so far left I didn't even see it. Wow

Amyers
06-09-2016, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=fortheloveofbowling;144242]

thanks so much, you cleared up alot for me! I hope Tom gives me more attention than he did when I walked in a few weeks ago. I am going to ask him to watch me throw a few frames and help me with ball choice and drill pattern. So in you
opinion where should the pin be when drilling at 2 o'clock or 12?

I'm sure that Tom is capable of fixing a good layout for you. Do make sure he watches you throw before deciding on the ball and layout. In my opinion terms of pin at 2 or 12 are antiquated at best. Dual angle layouts are the way to go. The reaction as far as drilling is based off of your PAP more than anything else and different people have their PAP in different places so the effect of a pin at 2:00 will be different for me than it is for you. Hope that makes sense.

Mike White
06-09-2016, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=LOUVIT;144233]

He posted the picture at 4:07, and 7 minutes later you're very surprised that people didn't point out the mass bias in messages that occurred before he posted the picture?

Amyers
06-09-2016, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=fortheloveofbowling;144234]

He posted the picture at 4:07, and 7 minutes later you're very surprised that people didn't point out the mass bias in messages that occurred before he posted the picture?

He had posted the picture earlier in another thread I believe

fortheloveofbowling
06-09-2016, 02:37 PM
The picture was posted june 5th in the improving on my 20 year comeback thread..... Mike

LOUVIT
06-10-2016, 08:07 AM
In any case who seen the picture and who didn't, thanks for that awesome detail. I'm sure that is screwing me up alot, but I didn't waste 3 months so far anyway, I got my approach and timing back and worked on various realeases I'm averaging about 150-160 with a left handed ball....lol..

Can I ask where that little white circle should be for a righty

Amyers
06-10-2016, 09:48 AM
In any case who seen the picture and who didn't, thanks for that awesome detail. I'm sure that is screwing me up alot, but I didn't waste 3 months so far anyway, I got my approach and timing back and worked on various realeases I'm averaging about 150-160 with a left handed ball....lol..

Can I ask where that little white circle should be for a righty

Should be is a hard question. It depends on how you roll the ball and what you intend for the layout to be where it shouldn't be is easy where it is at now!! lol. Of my Asymmetrical cored balls I have one in a unusual spot slightly to the left of the thumb hole my other is to the right of the thumb. In general it will be to the right of the thumb hole for a righty.