PDA

View Full Version : HIGH FIVE!, fist bump who gets one?

bowl1820
06-09-2016, 05:31 PM
You see them all around high fives, hand slaps and fist bumps etc.

Do you only get a high five or hand slap when you strike or spare? and a fist bump for that miss?

Or is a high five and hand slap like everybody gets a trophy day and you get one as long as they get the ball across the foul line?

Are they only for your teammates? or do you give that guy on the other team one too?

Blomer
06-09-2016, 05:37 PM
High 5's for strikes and spares, bumps. Generally given to all, but make sure teammates get them and other team when near by.

JasonNJ
06-09-2016, 11:10 PM
My one teammate only wants high fives on strikes and spares and fist bumps for opens. I high five everyone.

jimgilmore
06-09-2016, 11:14 PM
I always think of fist bumps on opens to shake it off. High fives for all marks.

1VegasBowler
06-10-2016, 02:14 AM
I always think of fist bumps on opens to shake it off. High fives for all marks.

This is what I said in another thread and I stand behind it.

People that need the high five when they miss is like getting a trophy for finishing in last place.

This past Monday night I walked over to another league in the house to congratulate a bowler for throwing a 300 because it was absolutely the right thing to do. Recognizing an accomplishment is a well deserved reward.

Making a tough split like a 5-7, 1-2-10, 4-7-10, 6-7-10 and the like are worth recognition. They are not easy by any means.

But a high five for single pin spare? Or the bowler who wants a high five for only getting 3-5 pins on two throws? Really??

I'm from the old school, where I never root for or encourage my opponents. But I will congratulate them when appropriate.

There's far too much ego stroking and a$$ kissing these days.

1VegasBowler
06-10-2016, 02:28 AM
Here's a GEICO commercial that fits this all too well for those who need a high five for everything! LMFAO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfmVBmDKLZI

LOUVIT
06-10-2016, 08:15 AM
This is what I said in another thread and I stand behind it.

People that need the high five when they miss is like getting a trophy for finishing in last place.

This past Monday night I walked over to another league in the house to congratulate a bowler for throwing a 300 because it was absolutely the right thing to do. Recognizing an accomplishment is a well deserved reward.

Making a tough split like a 5-7, 1-2-10, 4-7-10, 6-7-10 and the like are worth recognition. They are not easy by any means.

But a high five for single pin spare? Or the bowler who wants a high five for only getting 3-5 pins on two throws? Really??

I'm from the old school, where I never root for or encourage my opponents. But I will congratulate them when appropriate.

There's far too much ego stroking and a$$ kissing these days.

as far as the single pin spare if it's a pressure situation in a close game, yes a high 5...IMO

LOUVIT
06-10-2016, 08:16 AM
lol on the commercal vegas

mc_runner
06-10-2016, 09:56 AM
high fives for strikes, or maybe a tough spare... fist bumps for opens. I would be somewhat annoyed if someone wanted a high five after open frames, as well. What's the point? What are you celebrating/congratulating? Lol.

fordman1
06-10-2016, 10:34 AM
My teams always give some kind of recognition to each other after a frame. If it is a miss tell them to shake it off. Or get them next frame. For the other team don't go out of your way to do it but if they are close go ahead. Especially if the are on a string of strides.

Funny how so many say it is just a fun league and the prize money is really low and then they make it like the other team are crazed maniac's. Some of you people would make me nervous. Probably go key my car if I beat you.

1VegasBowler
06-10-2016, 01:03 PM
as far as the single pin spare if it's a pressure situation in a close game, yes a high 5...IMO

I can live with that one :)

1VegasBowler
06-10-2016, 01:13 PM
My teams always give some kind of recognition to each other after a frame. If it is a miss tell them to shake it off. Or get them next frame. For the other team don't go out of your way to do it but if they are close go ahead. Especially if the are on a string of strides.

Funny how so many say it is just a fun league and the prize money is really low and then they make it like the other team are crazed maniac's. Some of you people would make me nervous. Probably go key my car if I beat you.

If a player who is on a string of strikes from the first frame on, I would probably leave him/her alone. The pressure of getting closer to perfection dramatically increases from each shot. It's kind of like the pitcher who's tossing a no hitter or a perfect game. His team mates leave him alone and stay away.

Once the perfection has been broken up, I would certainly congratulate him/her on their run.

When it comes to losing, we all know it sucks. But I would never take it out on somebody else or their property. I blame losses on myself and wonder what I could have done to bowl a better game. Nobody is tougher on me than myself no matter what sport I have played in. My opponents did exactly what they were supposed to do. They capitalized on mistakes and made us pay for our mistakes, and kudos to them for doing it.

bowl1820
06-10-2016, 01:20 PM
Now there's also the two hand high 5, which seems to be reserved for shooting a 300 mostly.

1VegasBowler
06-10-2016, 01:22 PM
Now there's also the two hand high 5, which seems to be reserved for shooting a 300 mostly.

That and a drink!

RobLV1
06-10-2016, 03:11 PM
Perfect timing for this thread. Last night my team bowled against a team in an almost-scratch league where the anchorman went out of his way to circle our table to make sure he got his high five after every frame. After he came around looking for a high five for a Brooklyn strike, I started just turning away. His constant need for high fives, along with the fact that his nose was in his cell phone so he was never ready to bowl, resulted in us finishing twenty minutes later than any of the other 29 teams in the league!

mc_runner
06-10-2016, 03:31 PM
If a player who is on a string of strikes from the first frame on, I would probably leave him/her alone. The pressure of getting closer to perfection dramatically increases from each shot. It's kind of like the pitcher who's tossing a no hitter or a perfect game. His team mates leave him alone and stay away.

Once the perfection has been broken up, I would certainly congratulate him/her on their run.

I only speak for myself here, but when I'm on a big string or getting closer to a 300, I want people talking to me and keeping the mood light. It helps keep me loose and takes some of the pressure off.

SAbowler
06-10-2016, 04:05 PM
High fives for marks. Fist bump and a "shake it off" for an open.

1VegasBowler
06-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Perfect timing for this thread. Last night my team bowled against a team in an almost-scratch league where the anchorman went out of his way to circle our table to make sure he got his high five after every frame. After he came around looking for a high five for a Brooklyn strike, I started just turning away. His constant need for high fives, along with the fact that his nose was in his cell phone so he was never ready to bowl, resulted in us finishing twenty minutes later than any of the other 29 teams in the league!

Surprise, surprise! lol

Huber
06-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Hand slaps for strikes and spares all around

Mike White
06-10-2016, 05:11 PM
I had to give a high 5 for an open recently.

A lady in the seniors league left a 3-6-10, and managed to pick off just the 6 pin.

fordman1
06-11-2016, 09:21 AM
That is some deflection, I know I have went between quite a few baby splits but most women would probably get it by deflection. Or maybe not..

Jaescrub
06-12-2016, 05:02 PM
Give fives for strikes and fist bumps for bad shots my team has done this for ages even back to the days of just bowling for fun. We will even give fives for good shots for the other team if they are nice.

Mike White
06-12-2016, 06:24 PM
That is some deflection, I know I have went between quite a few baby splits but most women would probably get it by deflection. Or maybe not..

No deflection, she when thru the 6 pin.

fordman1
06-13-2016, 11:39 AM
I was talking deflection away form the high five not the ball deflecting. I guess I wasn't clear enough. Sorry. Would a 12 lb. ball deflect when it went through the 3-10? :cool:

1VegasBowler
06-13-2016, 12:18 PM
I was talking deflection away form the high five not the ball deflecting. I guess I wasn't clear enough. Sorry. Would a 12 lb. ball deflect when it went through the 3-10? :cool:

A 12 pound ball does deflect unless you hit the 3 on the nose to chop it. Just like any other ball does.

Mike White
06-13-2016, 02:04 PM

I think we're having a context problem.

So to continue, if you are referring to the 3-6-10 as I was, the ball might deflect slightly going thru the 3-6-10, depending on where it makes contact with the 6 pin, and at what angle it hit. i.e. if the center of the pin is in line with the center of the path of the ball, there will be no deflection at all.

If you are now referring to just the 3-10, and the ball doesn't touch either pin as it passed thru, then there is no deflection.