PDA

View Full Version : Best weight for beginner Woman bowling ball?

The KingPin
02-09-2009, 11:26 PM
So my wife is looking to get a new ball, but not sure if buying a ball with a lower weight like 12lbs is too low and not enough weight to have decent pin action?

Any help would be great

Jord_84
02-09-2009, 11:47 PM
a lot of the women on my league use lighter balls, and they literally just bounce off the pins.
I think my first ball was a 13lb and I worked my way up to 15.

If I remember correctly, I had some decent pin action with the 13lb

ThongPrincess
02-10-2009, 01:22 AM
One test for weight is to hold the ball in one hand with the arm straight down at the side. Then without flexing the elbow cup the wrist and hold the ball for several seconds. If she can do this, then the she can handle the weight. Even though 14 lbs may hit harder and carry better, it won't if it is too heavy for her. Depending on how often she bowls, it may not take long before she is ready to move up in weight.

When I started bowling I used 12 lbs and built up to 16# over several years. I went back down to 15# in 2003.

kev3inp
02-10-2009, 04:57 AM
We've moved my wife up to 13 from 12 and it's made a big difference in pin action. Lighter than 13 and a lot of equipment seems to go to a pancake weight block or severely modified core.

The KingPin
02-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks everyone really makes sense. I just need a company that sells a decent #13 I guess to start with?

kev3inp
02-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Roto, Lane # 1, lots of companies have them. Check out their sites to find out or talk to your pro shop operator. Who do you prefer?

ThongPrincess
02-10-2009, 07:01 PM
You might also look for a 2nd hand ball. The pro shop I frequent has 2nd hand balls in good condition for a fraction of the price of a new ball, especially if you think she will be moving up fairly soon. I honestly don't know what a good entry level ball is right now. A while back I had heard the Storm Tropical Storms were good, but no personal experience.

The KingPin
02-11-2009, 11:01 PM
You might also look for a 2nd hand ball. The pro shop I frequent has 2nd hand balls in good condition for a fraction of the price of a new ball, especially if you think she will be moving up fairly soon. I honestly don't know what a good entry level ball is right now. A while back I had heard the Storm Tropical Storms were good, but no personal experience.

Ok yeah I went to a pro shop and they had some Storm balls.

We are not picky on a brand as we just want to have fun as a couple. I could lose every game just as long as my wife is my partner

ThongPrincess
02-12-2009, 03:54 AM
We are not picky on a brand as we just want to have fun as a couple. I could lose every game just as long as my wife is my partner

That is so cool! Too many spouses put pressure on their other half while bowling.

The Bowling Guru
02-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Let me tell you, women who just like to bowl for fun will most likely choose a ball based on how it looks. If you and your wife are just looking to have fun, and she isn't going to get very serious about the sport, balls such as a Tropical Storm, Tornado, a Rayzr, or my favorite, the Link, are great, inexpensive balls to try. I personally would look into the Link. It is a REALLY nice looking ball, very low price tag, and will not be too much ball.

If she is looking for something a bit more than those in terms of reaction, Hammer's Vibe series is definately something you may want to look into. I have the Cherry Vibe, and think it is definately an underrated ball for it's price tag. Actually shot 300 with it not too long ago.