PDA

View Full Version : Want to heat my ball to get oil out

LOUVIT
06-15-2016, 10:13 AM
I bowl at 1pm today, Is it ok if I leave my ball in the hot Florida sun for an hour before I go? Can I use it right after I have no washing stuff or anything

Amyers
06-15-2016, 10:37 AM
leaving the ball outdoors in the sun probably won't hurt it but I'm not sure how effective it really is in de-oiling a ball. There is nothing to remove the oil from the ball so at most you are removing a very small amount of oil probably most of what comes out is reabsorbed. Set one out one day then wipe it off and set it out the next day you still have a wet ball the next day and even on day 4 the balls still wet. I don't know how true it is but I've heard that a lot of what you see on the ball from this method is actually condensation from the temperature variance between the outdoor heat the ball and the core of the ball and not actually oil. I don't know how factual that is but makes some sense and explains why you never get a clean ball with this method.

Anytime you do actual oil extraction soak method or any of the other ways to de-oil you should resurface the ball afterwards for best results.

got_a_300
06-15-2016, 11:01 AM
Anytime you do actual oil extraction soak method or any of the other ways to de-oil you should resurface the ball afterwards for best results.
I always take the ball down to 180 grit with an abralon pad before
de-oiling it to open up the pores so the oil can come out easier.

Then I restore it back to the oob finish or to whatever finish that is
needed at the time.

bowl1820
06-15-2016, 11:03 AM
I bowl at 1pm today, Is it ok if I leave my ball in the hot Florida sun for an hour before I go? Can I use it right after I have no washing stuff or anything

You could set it out in the sun, I'd did it along time ago. You'd do better sitting it in a hot car, that would keep the breeze off it and the heat would be more even around the ball.

But if your going to bowl at 1pm today, it would be basically a waste of time if the ball is heavily oil soaked.

1VegasBowler
06-15-2016, 11:13 AM

Here's what I did with my Vandal & Thug Unruly in the extremely hot Las Vegas sun.

Both of them in the sun for 20 minutes, and every 10 minutes I wiped them down with That Purple Stuff. When the 20 minutes was up I kept them both in the shade for 30 minutes for cooling off. I did that routine for about 2 and a half hours. The oil that came out was just amazing.

The next day I went and practiced, and they both reacted on a THS like they just came out of the box!

When I talked to my friend in one of the pro shops here, he told me that the Brunswick/DV8 line will certainly hold up better than the rest of them in that kind of condition, but he doesn't think it's a great idea over all because you can certainly get the plasticizers to come through as well as the oil.

I'm not one to disagree with a PSO and I'm not going to disavow what he said either. Their experience in this is much better than mine is, and while he might just be advocating to have the equipment come into the shop for the money aspect, I have to default to experience here in this.

Permanently damaging a ball is not what I want to do. They are far too expensive.

I'll deal with doing what I did for the one time. From here on out, I'll let my PSO take care of it.

LOUVIT
06-15-2016, 11:18 AM
yea I think it's soaked.. I'm buying a new one today but need to use this for the last time on my afternoon league since the pro shop opens the same time the league starts. Anyway it's in the sun nowhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/louvit/Mobile%20Uploads/20160615_110731_zpswfcewfap.jpg

IHateTenPins
06-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Before reading this forum, I had no idea balls could be come soaked with oil. Good to know.

1VegasBowler
06-15-2016, 11:28 AM
Before reading this forum, I had no idea balls could be come soaked with oil. Good to know.

Reactive Resin is like a sponge and they soak up oil in a hurry.

LOUVIT
06-15-2016, 11:29 AM

lol neither did I, I also didn't know you needed a math degree to have a ball drilled

1VegasBowler
06-15-2016, 11:31 AM
lol neither did I, I also didn't know you needed a math degree to have a ball drilled

More like a Masters in engineering! LOL

LOUVIT
06-15-2016, 11:35 AM
left it in the sun for 45 minutes then ran hot water over it for 5 in my sink. feels ok and it less shinny. Pretty sure it did nothing...lol

Blomer
06-15-2016, 11:41 AM
The other day I left it in my car in the bag, not intending anything, but when I went to bowl, I had t wipe it down pretty good. Lol. I have. A friend who bakes it for me once in a while from a baker he bought a while back.

LOUVIT
06-15-2016, 03:18 PM
well that ball is history now. I bought a track heat today, will test it tomorrow. If the heat hooks too much for me I'll use the old one for corner spares....lol