PDA

View Full Version : Draft Letter to USBC

Aslan
07-10-2016, 05:42 PM
No, this is not another letter to the USBC about the Motiv scandal. I've resigned to the fact that bowling is just not important enough in the big scheme of things for enough of the general public to care if cheating exists or not.

But, after trying to practice this afternoon and finding the conditions so dry and pointless...I decided I need to reach out to the USBC and at least make my voice heard. They likely will not be able to do anything, given the state of the sport and the relationships with ball manufacturers and the BPAA...but I'm fed up at this point and considering just quitting and finding another hobby.

To Whom it May Concern-

I am writing this letter to ask that the USBC consult the BPAA and propose the USBC add a section to their rule book that mandates centers to oil their lanes for league conditions before and after every league, event, and tournament.

The reason for this request is that the remaining "sport" bowlers (bowlers that consider bowling a sport, not just a drunken bar activity) are unable to "practice". Given that modern bowling has become more about lane conditions and ball technology than actual skill; the lane conditions are a vital part of the sport of bowling. How is a bowler supposed to practice if the conditions they face on league night differ so greatly from that which we have access to during practice sessions?

Today, like many other times, I tried to practice. I wasn't overly concerned with scores, but could never find a line that any of my 3 resin balls could stay right of the pocket. I finally realized there was no sense in practicing my strike shot as every ball in my arsenal was going Brooklyn or worse. I decided to spend the remaining two games just shooting at corner pins with my spare ball...but on two 10-pin attempts...the plastic spare ball hooked left of the pin.

In order to "practice", I am forced to participate in a $20 weekly tournament. If I can't make it...then I can't practice. And realize, I am not a thumbless bowler, a palm bowler, nor a 2-handed bowler. I'm a stroker/tweener with a moderate amount of speed.

How can we call bowling a sport and ask the Olympics to recognize it as such...when you can't even practice the sport?! Most bowlers only can "practice" in the 5-15 minutes before league play.

So, my proposal is simple;
1) A center MUST apply a fresh pattern before league play. That pattern cannot be altered by open bowlers prior to league play.
2) Once the last team has completed their games, the center is required to apply a fresh pattern again. This will allow players to practice on a fresh or fairly fresh pattern.
3) Before the next league starts, the center must apply a fresh oil pattern again (unless there was no bowling on the lanes since the post-league oil was applied).
4) As with #2, once the league is completed, a fresh pattern is applied.
5) This continues throughout the day. A center with 3 leagues and 2 tournaments on a given day, may have to oil their lanes 5-10 times.

Someday, I'm sure the technology will exist so that a bowler can come to a pair of lanes and enter in a specific oil pattern...and the lane would oil itself according to the request. Bowlers could practice on a wide variety of patterns. But until that technology exists, if the USBC truly believes in the sport of bowling and that bowling isn't just something drunk young adults do while out for a night of partying, I strongly urge the USBC to take a stand and work with the BPAA to push back against entities such as Bowlmor that has no interest in sport bowling.

Perhaps some centers will decided their lanes will remain unsanctioned and they will use oil scarcely and at their own discretion. That is their choice. Many Bowlmor centers are canceling leagues and turning their establishments into family entertainment centers with arcades and lazer tag and glow bowling. I think that development is troubling, but it's their choice. And it is my choice not to reward those centers with my patronage. But there must be some way to ensure sport bowlers can practice on AT LEAST a fresh or semi-fresh house shot. And I feel that the USBC is the organization that must push for this. If bowlers can't practice, then bowling isn't a sport. If it's not a sport, then it doesn't need the USBC.

The PBA has no interest in stamping out cheating (such as the Motiv scandal). Centers are being bought up by Bowlmor and ruined; and ultimately sold off for their land value. And the ball manufacturers continue to sell more powerful equipment that requires heavier oil and wider/longer patterns. So, reluctantly, this falls in the lap of the USBC. If the USBC cannot work with the BPAA to ensure the sport's survival by realistically allowing bowling athletes to practice on fresh conditions, then the USBC is conceding the death of bowling as a sport.

Thank You in advance and Kind Regards,

bowl1820
07-10-2016, 06:23 PM
LOL Yep, that's not going happen.

"Someday, I'm sure the technology will exist so that a bowler can come to a pair of lanes and enter in a specific oil pattern"

That would be like the scoring consoles with the little thermal printer on them, so the bowler could printout their games.

Every time you tried them they were out of paper, the house stopped refilling them because people used them up like toilet paper.

You'd have to have a tanker truck of oil with a fire hose connected to the building pumping the oil in.

"Hey i don't like this pattern, let's change it. I don't like this one either change it again................."

Blomer
07-10-2016, 06:38 PM
I agree with the points of fresh oil on leagues, but I don't think they can force the owners to have fresh oil for practice. Would be nice, but don't see it. Centers that do, will get the business from the ones who don't.

RobLV1
07-10-2016, 06:59 PM
A few weeks ago, one of the centers where I bowl league bought a new oil machine. Within the first week, something broke on the machine and, while it ran down the lanes, it didn't put down a drop of oil. The center not only apologized, but they refunded our lineage for the day (adding it to our prize fund). Bowling went on, and while the lines were certainly different, it was the same for everyone, and everyone realized it. I averaged 196 for four games, using a plastic spare ball exclusively for three of the four, and a reactive ball on one side only in the final game. The point is that practicing on used lanes is not only useful, it sometimes becomes a big advantage for those of us who will do it on a regular basis.

JaxBowlingGuy
07-10-2016, 08:31 PM
As for oiling before league, that's somethimg that can be voted on before the league start. Although I have never bowled anywhere that doesn't give the league a fresh shot. I bowl a few centers that fill the whole house and shut down open play like an hour before league to dress the lanes and then don't allow anyone on them until the league starts. As for oiling after, that's not gonna happen. Keep in mind that bowling on different and difficult conditions will only make you better. Larger tournaments don't oil between squads/blocks. The U.S. Open has you bowl one of your squads on "double burn" which would have 16 games then multiplied by however many bowlers were on a set before you even step on the approach. So if they have 6 bowlers to a set, the set of lanes would have 96 games on them before you start your 8 games. Chances are a very high majority throwing resin balls.

If you want a center that keeps oil on the lanes, I'd suggest finding a different center. Chances are there's another center in town unless you're in a small town. I know we have 8 and some places like orlando seem to have them on every corner.

fortheloveofbowling
07-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Take that opportunity to learn to be a shotmaker. Many times when i practice i will get lined up and try to score for a few games only. Then i will pick a ball and line that i know will require all aspects of my game to be almost perfect in order to strike. In a sense try to out bowl my bad ball reaction. I was talking with a guy one day that won the abc masters in the 60's. He said during one of the days of qualifying he had to play 5th arrow. Go out and try that with a black diamond. That would be the definition of shotmaking there.

billf
07-10-2016, 10:28 PM
As of now the it's up to each league to negotiate the who and when of oiling. We had one women's league that said they didn't need it the first year. After that they sure did. All the players with reactive balls complained ad naseum about the lack of oil and how they were paying for it. Eventually I got tired of hearing it and told them their league officers were given a price to rent our lanes for a specific day and start time for three games and we were told they didn't need nor want it. This league's officers used plastic, throw straight(ish) and knew this would be a huge advantage for them.

Have you discussed this issue with any of the center manager's? Not sure why so many don't get it but if you oil they will come.

Aslan
07-10-2016, 10:40 PM
Okay, a couple things.

1) When I stated that someday the technology would exist for people to make their own pattern choice...I envision it as part of the scoring system...far simpler than what Bowl1820 envisioned.

Each time the person purchases a few games or the lanes for an hour or so, they would have a ONE TIME option of selecting a pattern. They would be able to choose from every pattern ever used in the history of the game. When they select it, and confirm their selection...the pin deck tilts back and the pins fall into the back and the oil machine comes out from under the pin deck....moves to the foul line, then back to the pin deck and under the pin deck. The pins are then reset. Each lane would have it's own machine under the pin deck. The center could oil all lanes or pick and choose which ones from the control desk. But, during open play, bowlers could choose a pattern if they wish.

It would likely cost an additional amount. I predict the scoring machines will offer a great many options in the future...your own lane music, lighting, and even oil pattern. You would slide a credit card and pay for certain things you'd like. Maybe having your own lighting costs $1 per game, your own music costs $2 per game, and choosing your own oil pattern costs a one time fee of $25. Or, maybe, all those options would be free...just like newer centers with newer scoring equipment offer you choices on monitor backgrounds and animation.

Next...yes, I know there is value in getting exposed to different patterns. This isn't an old league bowler whining because one house shot is harder than another. I've already been there and done that. This is NOT a harder condition or harder pattern. If it was up to me, every sanctioned house would be forced to select the USBC Red, White, or Blue pattern for all sanctioned leagues and events. One of the stupidest things the USBC ever did was allow centers to "do their own thing" with patterns. If anyone thinks this is whining, I'd be perfectly happy if my next league voted to do sport shots, PBA animal patterns, or USBC masters patterns. I DON'T CARE how hard the pattern is. I will figure it out.

NOT oiling the lanes is NOT a "tougher pattern". It's a center taking advantage of the sport's decline by cheating their customers out of any ability to practice on a pattern.

I threw the Dark Encounter standing 25 and targeting 12...it hooked brooklyn and left the 1-2-8. I tried to move left...altered my axis tilt...finally balled down to the Lethal Revolver...pretty much the same. Finally I was standing about 30 and targeting 15-17...with the Loaded Revolver...still going Brooklyn. I tried to practice the 10-pin...both times the shot looked on line and the plastic Ebonite Maxim hooked away from the 10-pin. I finally started using my plastic ball as a strike ball...it also hooked Brooklyn when I was standing 25 and targeting 16-17.

This isn't about "learning to adjust" or preparing for adversity. This is a center that oiled those lanes at 7:15PM on Saturday....is open 24 hours...and when I decided to go practice at noon Sunday...they hadn't been oiled for roughly 17 hours. The lanes on the other side were oiled at about 6:30AM for an event that morning...but even so, these lanes are very old and they are known to transition a great deal over the course of a series. The odds that after 3 games of bowling...those lanes were still semi-fresh...possible, maybe...probably not.

The bottom line and point of the letter is simple. IF bowling is a SPORT...athletes that want to get better need to practice. I'd also suggest they research and take lessons. But every person that has ever played a sport has had to practice. I can't think of any sport or even hobby...where someone gets to be great at it...but says, "I don't ever practice and never have. Runners don't get "15 minutes of practice" prior to a marathon....and the rest of the year they just sit around. If bowling is a sport...and right now there are probably more arguements that it IS NOT than there are that it IS....if bowling is a sport, athletes must be able to practice.

The game and the bodies that govern it, in their infinite stupidity and partially because of the decline in the game...have decided that bowling is just matching up equipment to lane conditions. The game has become SO dependent on technology and patterns...that it's on the border of losing it's "sport" element. And when that finally happens...I think bowling will be about as popular as curling. The ball manufacturers will all dry up...a product of their own doing. And centers will try to hold on...but bowling alleys are rather expensive to build and operate. Might be more economical to build a bar with some video games or one of those elevated shuffleboard tables...maybe some air hockey or darts...something other than bowling to entertain drunk idiots. Thats what bowling has become. Something for drunk people to do when there isn't kareoke available.

The USBC keeps trying to fix things...but one thing we can all agree on...is they will only go so far. The shot over the bow at Motiv was surprising...but their hands were forced. I'm sure they'd have loved to NOT have gotten that box of Jackals with the note on it. They had to go after a significant sponsor...in some little spat between sponsors. The USBC keeps trying to revive the game that was once almost as dominant as baseball. But they only take 1/4 measures. They issue rules and standards...but largely rely on centers and ball manufacturers to police themselves. They try to get the youth involved...but not by really getting involved with the schools or partnering with the industry...they just give em a discount during the summer...which the centers get back by charging the parents more for their bowling and for food.

The letter is simply a request for the USBC to address practice conditions. They likely will respond...they were the only ones to respond to my Motiv letter. I give them credit for that...they recognize that I'm a member, I pay dues, and I at the least deserve a response. More than I can say for DV8, the cowards at the PBA, and the dishonest folks at Motiv. But, thats old news.

billf
07-10-2016, 10:56 PM
How odd, I've always had my questions answered by DV8

JJKinGA
07-11-2016, 08:41 AM
While the letter makes some good points it also has a few tangential thoughts, like referencing the Motiv scandal and PBA - Neither are a large concern of the USBC. I think you would have a better chance lobbying you local association reps. They know the bureaucracy of the USBC and how to possibly position this for an actual vote. Honestly, even if this was compelling, an open letter won't get far enough to ever be discussed as a potential rule change.

Amyers
07-11-2016, 12:05 PM
Okay, a couple things.

1) When I stated that someday the technology would exist for people to make their own pattern choice...I envision it as part of the scoring system...far simpler than what Bowl1820 envisioned.

Each time the person purchases a few games or the lanes for an hour or so, they would have a ONE TIME option of selecting a pattern. They would be able to choose from every pattern ever used in the history of the game. When they select it, and confirm their selection...the pin deck tilts back and the pins fall into the back and the oil machine comes out from under the pin deck....moves to the foul line, then back to the pin deck and under the pin deck. The pins are then reset. Each lane would have it's own machine under the pin deck. The center could oil all lanes or pick and choose which ones from the control desk. But, during open play, bowlers could choose a pattern if they wish.

It would likely cost an additional amount. I predict the scoring machines will offer a great many options in the future...your own lane music, lighting, and even oil pattern. You would slide a credit card and pay for certain things you'd like. Maybe having your own lighting costs $1 per game, your own music costs $2 per game, and choosing your own oil pattern costs a one time fee of $25. Or, maybe, all those options would be free...just like newer centers with newer scoring equipment offer you choices on monitor backgrounds and animation.

Next...yes, I know there is value in getting exposed to different patterns. This isn't an old league bowler whining because one house shot is harder than another. I've already been there and done that. This is NOT a harder condition or harder pattern. If it was up to me, every sanctioned house would be forced to select the USBC Red, White, or Blue pattern for all sanctioned leagues and events. One of the stupidest things the USBC ever did was allow centers to "do their own thing" with patterns. If anyone thinks this is whining, I'd be perfectly happy if my next league voted to do sport shots, PBA animal patterns, or USBC masters patterns. I DON'T CARE how hard the pattern is. I will figure it out.

NOT oiling the lanes is NOT a "tougher pattern". It's a center taking advantage of the sport's decline by cheating their customers out of any ability to practice on a pattern.

I threw the Dark Encounter standing 25 and targeting 12...it hooked brooklyn and left the 1-2-8. I tried to move left...altered my axis tilt...finally balled down to the Lethal Revolver...pretty much the same. Finally I was standing about 30 and targeting 15-17...with the Loaded Revolver...still going Brooklyn. I tried to practice the 10-pin...both times the shot looked on line and the plastic Ebonite Maxim hooked away from the 10-pin. I finally started using my plastic ball as a strike ball...it also hooked Brooklyn when I was standing 25 and targeting 16-17.

This isn't about "learning to adjust" or preparing for adversity. This is a center that oiled those lanes at 7:15PM on Saturday....is open 24 hours...and when I decided to go practice at noon Sunday...they hadn't been oiled for roughly 17 hours. The lanes on the other side were oiled at about 6:30AM for an event that morning...but even so, these lanes are very old and they are known to transition a great deal over the course of a series. The odds that after 3 games of bowling...those lanes were still semi-fresh...possible, maybe...probably not.

The bottom line and point of the letter is simple. IF bowling is a SPORT...athletes that want to get better need to practice. I'd also suggest they research and take lessons. But every person that has ever played a sport has had to practice. I can't think of any sport or even hobby...where someone gets to be great at it...but says, "I don't ever practice and never have. Runners don't get "15 minutes of practice" prior to a marathon....and the rest of the year they just sit around. If bowling is a sport...and right now there are probably more arguements that it IS NOT than there are that it IS....if bowling is a sport, athletes must be able to practice.

The game and the bodies that govern it, in their infinite stupidity and partially because of the decline in the game...have decided that bowling is just matching up equipment to lane conditions. The game has become SO dependent on technology and patterns...that it's on the border of losing it's "sport" element. And when that finally happens...I think bowling will be about as popular as curling. The ball manufacturers will all dry up...a product of their own doing. And centers will try to hold on...but bowling alleys are rather expensive to build and operate. Might be more economical to build a bar with some video games or one of those elevated shuffleboard tables...maybe some air hockey or darts...something other than bowling to entertain drunk idiots. Thats what bowling has become. Something for drunk people to do when there isn't kareoke available.

The USBC keeps trying to fix things...but one thing we can all agree on...is they will only go so far. The shot over the bow at Motiv was surprising...but their hands were forced. I'm sure they'd have loved to NOT have gotten that box of Jackals with the note on it. They had to go after a significant sponsor...in some little spat between sponsors. The USBC keeps trying to revive the game that was once almost as dominant as baseball. But they only take 1/4 measures. They issue rules and standards...but largely rely on centers and ball manufacturers to police themselves. They try to get the youth involved...but not by really getting involved with the schools or partnering with the industry...they just give em a discount during the summer...which the centers get back by charging the parents more for their bowling and for food.

The letter is simply a request for the USBC to address practice conditions. They likely will respond...they were the only ones to respond to my Motiv letter. I give them credit for that...they recognize that I'm a member, I pay dues, and I at the least deserve a response. More than I can say for DV8, the cowards at the PBA, and the dishonest folks at Motiv. But, thats old news.

I understand what your getting at here. One of the houses I bowl in has older wooden lanes and even though they put a veritable puddle in the middle if your trying to play outside of 15 the next day your just out of luck and if they haven't oiled in more than 24 hours you might as well just pack it up and go home. If you can move into 20 they stay playable longer but not everyone can do that. I've learned what days they oil so I know what days I can go there and practice. One of the other houses here has some of the slickest synthetics I've ever seen honestly not sure I've ever had to play inside of 15 on them regardless of when they've been oiled. If I know it's not an oiling day at my other house I just go there. You've got way more choices of where to bowl than I do figure out where they have oil at the hours you want to practice.

Aslan
07-11-2016, 04:21 PM
You've got way more choices of where to bowl than I do figure out where they have oil at the hours you want to practice.
But what point is there in that?

If I bowl in 2-3 leagues at one center (which resides a 1.5 minute walk from my apartment)...and I want to be the best league bowler I can be...why would I practice at centers that are completely different?

As a "Rob Deciple (no idea how to spell that)"...surely you know that the current state of the sport is immensely dependent on oil patterns. And how those patterns affect ball movement vary from center to center and even lane to lane. So, if I practice on a random lane at the center I bowl 2-3 leagues at...as long as the pattern is the same...I probably can get a 'decent' feel for whats going on. There's NO guarantee that other pairs of lanes will behave slightly different...but at least you're not adding the variable of a different center.

Case in Point:
I took lessons at Tustin Lanes and Fountain Bowl. These are two of the easier houses in Orange County. They have a significant volume of oil in the middle, and very dry "bounce area" at the breakpoint. As my speed lowered and rev rate increased...I found it harder and harder to find my line at these houses.

Tustin Lanes closed and now I take lessons at Fountain Bowl and AMF Carter...AMF Carter being probably the EASIEST house in Orange County. Just to prove that point...I averaged 169 at Concourse while averaging 190 at AMF Carter. The season before last I averaged 170 at Linbrook and 192 at AMF Carter. Finally, I had to change my approach...because the higher speed approach that was working on the easy conditions at Carter was killing me everywhere else. Once I slowed things down...suddenly my Carter average fell a few pins and my average elsewhere increased by 3-10 pins.

So, the point in all that is; practicing on easy conditions...or in random centers...doesn't make you a better bowler. And if you practice at one center and bowl league at another...your practice is essentially worthless. Sure, you can fork on the physical game and spare shooting...but whats the point in ironing out a strike line...when it's not going to be even CLOSE to the strike line in the house you bowl leagues at??

COULD I find a center with fresh oil when I want to practice? Maybe. As you eluded to, I am blessed with about 15 centers within 25 miles. I could call them one by one and figure out when they oil and maybe find a place with oil on the lanes. Maybe. Not certain...because most places only oil prior to leagues on the lanes used by the league...so I'd have to try and reserve a pair that the center had oiled...but nobody used...that's kinda difficult. But more possible than if I lived in Pettycoat Junction and only had 2 centers within 60 miles of me.

And like I said...I spend $20 to enter a weekly tournament...which is a lot more than I'd pay for 3 games of practice during open bowling...so that I can practice on fresh oil. In essence, I pay $13.25 extra to bowl 3 games on fresh oil...with 3-8 other people also bowling on that pair. That's the premium I pay so I can actually practice. And that gets back to the letter...how can the USBC claim bowling is a "sport"...if athletes have to pay extra 200% just to practice on oiled lanes...and still, I have to contend with other bowlers messing up the pattern...but no biggee...that's gonna happen on league night.

One thing I've thought about is the next time I go over to practice...before I rent the lanes...telling the person at the desk I want the freshly oiled with the league THS pattern. If they say they can't do that (which they almost 99% certain they will), I will offer them $10 in addition to my $2.25/game for their troubles. That way, I'm happy and the oil guy gets about 45 minutes worth of pay to simply let the oil machine run up and down a pair of lanes. Who knows? Maybe that would work. Worth a try I guess. Logically it makes sense. I'm willing to pay $2.25/game and buy 6 games...and give them an additional $10 for their trouble. That's $23.50 for 6 games of bowling. If they decline...they get $0 and I go home.

One question I have for bowling proprietors is, "How much does the lane oil cost and how much is used to oil a pair of lanes?" According to my research, about 3785 mL (gallon) costs roughly $65. From what I read, each lane uses about 25mL of oil (depending). So if I am using 50mL of volume at $65/gallon...I'm actually using about $0.86 cents worth of oil on the pair. By this math, it doesn't seem like oiling the lanes is really that expensive in terms of material. But my math is a guess based on poking around the internet. A center proprietor might know more about this cost.

As to why I don't bring it up directly with the center....right now I sub almost every night. To re-phrase, I go over to the alley almost every night to sub...most of the time I just have a couple over-priced beers and go back home. BUT...the counter staff is CRUCIAL to the subbing process. If they announce subs are available and maybe announce it a couple times...much more likely to get a chance to sub. So, in summary, I don't want to make the center staff mad at me...or I may never get to sub.

How odd, I've always had my questions answered by DV8
Ask them if they sent the Motiv balls to the USBC. Might be the first time you don't get a response.

billf
07-12-2016, 09:00 AM
disciple....now you know lol

If people are suppose to use a dictionary to check spelling and meaning of words, why is dictionary so hard to spell?

Amyers
07-12-2016, 09:24 AM
I regularly bowl in three different centers here and I bowl a travel league that goes all over the state and hits an additional 7 centers so I'm confused as to why bowling in one particular center is so much more vital to practice time than another. I do realize the shots put out do vary from center to center and in my case some of these centers are wood and some are synthetic. Crap even among the synthetics I don't think there are two in the state that are of the same type they are all different. I don't base my practice time around trying to develop a particular line for a particular lane pattern though. Practice is when I work on my physical game and hitting my targets. I can make nuanced adjustments for the particular shot during warm-ups.

Part of this depends on what your calling burnt conditions. If you mean the lanes haven't been oiled in a week and the heads are gone then I get what you are talking about and yes it sucks and go practice somewhere else. If you just mean the shots not fresh and they've bowled league on them then man up move 4-2 left and go bowl. Seems like to me if you are there every night to sub you should have access to the lanes right after league is finished.

Aslan
07-12-2016, 02:05 PM
Practice is when I work on my physical game and hitting my targets. I can make nuanced adjustments for the particular shot during warm-ups.
Okay, case in point. You go in, the lanes haven't been oiled since the night before...you work on your physical game...hitting targets...you move well inside (16 boards with your feet and 5 boards left with your target...and your ball consistently hits Brooklyn. You're telling me you just keep throwing that ball and hitting that target...and the effect the ball has downlane doesn't matter?

Then you throw your plastic ball at corner pins and it hooks into the gutter (7-pin) or hooks away from the 10-pin and you just keep throwing because, "hey...it probably would have picked up the pin if conditions were fresh?

If you just mean the shots not fresh and they've bowled league on them then man up move 4-2 left and go bowl.
No...that's different.

But, to sort of agree with Rob here...some houses...especially newer houses or houses where the lanes have been recently replaced...or even houses that have wider USBC type house patterns or longer, heavier volume patterns...sure. There will be enough oil left after a 3-game league series to continue working on your game with some minor moves left. You might even get 5-6 games in. But on older lanes or lanes where the oil pattern is narrow, short, and/or lower volume...by Game 3...you are almost always going to be throwing your (looking at your arsenal)...

...it's tough because I don't have my spreadsheet with me...but high level view...I'd say the Mastermind Einstein would be too much ball to ever be able to use even on fresh at this house. Probably the same goes for the VG. But, even if the VG is usable on fresh conditions...you'd be down to either the Arson Low Flare or the Danger Zone by Game 2 or certainly Game 3.

You have some really weak equipment in your arsenal...especially the Avalanche...so you could probably practice 9-12 games right after league by just using the Arson LF, DZ, and Avalanche. I don't really have any equipment that weak. I have a 14lb Urethane Columbia Blue Knight and a Hammer urethane ball (16lb)...I keep both in my trunk of my car in case I stop at a random center somewhere...but I don't routinely throw those.

Seems like to me if you are there every night to sub you should have access to the lanes right after league is finished.
Most nights, I suppose I could. But, 3 games of league bowling in the high pressure environment of subbing...I don't have much left to then go and practice 6-9 games.

Subbing is nerve racking because:
1) You have to hope somebody picks you up.
2) You have to hope that you reward them by doing better than their absent bowler minus 10 pins.
3) The whole time, you are bowling with people you don't know...so it's not as relaxed.
and
4) If I bowl badly, that team will likely never want me to sub for them again....and if I bowl well, there is always 1-2 people asking me if I want to join their team full time...and then I gotta repeat the same friggin story again and again...that I'm subbing because I might be moving soon and I can't commit till the end of the season. To which, they always respond, "Well, our league is short and ends in September" as if I don't know that...and as if that suddenly would change my mind that maybe I should join a league and possibly 3-6 weeks later have to abruptly quit due to circumstances. Ughhh...

So, subbing is hard...mentally even more than physically. I'm usually mentally spent by the end of 3-4 games.

Mike White
07-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Okay, case in point. You go in, the lanes haven't been oiled since the night before...you work on your physical game...hitting targets...you move well inside (16 boards with your feet and 5 boards left with your target...and your ball consistently hits Brooklyn. You're telling me you just keep throwing that ball and hitting that target...and the effect the ball has downlane doesn't matter?

Then you throw your plastic ball at corner pins and it hooks into the gutter (7-pin) or hooks away from the 10-pin and you just keep throwing because, "hey...it probably would have picked up the pin if conditions were fresh?

We used to practice without pins, so the effect the ball has downline doesn't matter.

As for shooting at a 7 pin, you throw the ball just as straight as if you were shooting at a 5 pin, the difference is, you're standing in a different location, and looking at a different location.

Once you let go of the ball, you either executed, or you didn't, and you should be able to tell which is which in the first 15 feet.

Aslan
07-12-2016, 02:45 PM
We used to practice without pins, so the effect the ball has downline doesn't matter.

As for shooting at a 7 pin, you throw the ball just as straight as if you were shooting at a 5 pin, the difference is, you're standing in a different location, and looking at a different location.

Once you let go of the ball, you either executed, or you didn't, and you should be able to tell which is which in the first 15 feet.

Good points...the only problem is this:

How do we know whether we threw a good ball?

1) We hit our target.
2) We have decent axis tilt and axis rotation.
3) We hit the pocket
4) The ball exits the pin deck between the 8-pin and 9-pin.
5) We carry.

Now...no need for pins...or scoring...or even a pair of lanes for that matter for #1 and #2. You're essentially just testing your horseshoe skills and release. #3 only requires pins to the extent that you'd like to know the ball is hitting the pocket. #4 and #5 require pins.

So, in a nutshell...if your weakness is you can't seem to hit a 1.5" target at 15ft...or your release is wildly inconsistent...then I agree...just throw, work on your form and release...dry lanes, wet lanes, oily lanes, no lanes...doesn't matter. But to truly evaluate your ability...and fix a lot of problems...you need to know how to hold pocket...you need to understand if there's something you're doing or not doing that is negatively impacting carry. And you really need to see how the ball goes through the pins. None of those last 3 can be done well on lanes that are trashed.

Does anyone know (center folks) how much oil is used when oiling a pair of lanes? My 85 cent estimate seems low. But it seems like, unless it takes more than a pint of lane oil/conditioner per pair...my idea of giving them $10 extra should more than compensate the house for their materials. Any thoughts?

Mike White
07-12-2016, 07:32 PM

1) We hit our target.
3) We hit the pocket
5) We carry.

Now...no need for pins...or scoring...or even a pair of lanes for that matter for #1 and #2. You're essentially just testing your horseshoe skills and release. #3 only requires pins to the extent that you'd like to know the ball is hitting the pocket. #4 and #5 require pins.

So, in a nutshell...if your weakness is you can't seem to hit a 1.5" target at 15ft...or your release is wildly inconsistent...then I agree...just throw, work on your form and release...dry lanes, wet lanes, oily lanes, no lanes...doesn't matter. But to truly evaluate your ability...and fix a lot of problems...you need to know how to hold pocket...you need to understand if there's something you're doing or not doing that is negatively impacting carry. And you really need to see how the ball goes through the pins. None of those last 3 can be done well on lanes that are trashed.

Does anyone know (center folks) how much oil is used when oiling a pair of lanes? My 85 cent estimate seems low. But it seems like, unless it takes more than a pint of lane oil/conditioner per pair...my idea of giving them $10 extra should more than compensate the house for their materials. Any thoughts?

Materials:

Lane Oil,
Lane Cleaner,
Machine Cleaner.

Labor:

Diluting Lane cleaner.
Oiling lanes.
Cleaning Machine before putting back in storage.

The labor to oil one pair at a time, is not 1/16 of when oiling whole 32 lane center at once.

billf
07-12-2016, 09:55 PM
One container of oil will do 24 lanes at 44' with 28ml. Cost of this container is $450. Now add labor, electricity, etc. as Mike pointed out and it's a lot more than most people think. I didn't include the stripper because I haven't had to order that yet so I'm not certain of the cost.

bowl1820
07-12-2016, 10:47 PM
One container of oil will do 24 lanes at 44' with 28ml. Cost of this container is $450. Now add labor, electricity, etc. as Mike pointed out and it's a lot more than most people think. I didn't include the stripper because I haven't had to order that yet so I'm not certain of the cost.

Say what? $450 for a container of oil to do 24 lanes?

Just looked in my jayhawk catalog 5 Gallons of Kegel Fire Lane Conditioner is only $245.

Just a estimate but
28ml per lane thats 672ml which is 22.723 ounces, 5 gallons oiling 24 lanes once a day would last approx. 28 days.

that's about $8.75 for one days oil.

a old post

It costs just a few bucks to oil a pair of lanes. Most the time we don't oil a specific pair for people, but some of the tournament bowlers will have me oil a sport pattern out. I charge about $10 bucks a pair for that. Most centers probably won't do that though.

JaxBowlingGuy
07-12-2016, 11:31 PM
If you want a true shot, you should also "burn" a set as well.

bowl1820
07-12-2016, 11:39 PM
If you want a true shot, you should also "burn" a set as well.

Yep, you got to prime the machine.

Amyers
07-13-2016, 10:24 AM

1) We hit our target.
3) We hit the pocket
5) We carry.

As long as you can perform 1 and 2 consistently 3 should happen. If you have 1,2, and 3 down 4 and 5 are a simple adjustment.

So, in a nutshell...if your weakness is you can't seem to hit a 1.5" target at 15ft...or your release is wildly inconsistent...then I agree...just throw, work on your form and release...dry lanes, wet lanes, oily lanes, no lanes...doesn't matter.

And there is the problem for 90% of bowlers the inability to hit a target at 15ft and even worse to understand where the ball will be at 40ft. If you can hit your target +- 1.5 at 15ft you will be a decent bowler pretty much regardless of anything else. If you can control your target +- 3 at 40ft you have the ability to be a good tournament bowler. Do the above and control your speed +- .5 mph and your revs within 50 RPM and your on the tour. I don't see the PBA or WPBA giving up on practice because they don't have a CATS machine with them.

bowl1820
07-13-2016, 11:02 AM
The question is what to do when you go to practice and find the lanes not to your liking?

Do you complain about it and go home and bemoan the state of bowling or do you try to make the best of it?

If the lanes are too dry, then you work on your approach, your form, the things leading up to the release. Nobody's form is so perfect they don't need to practice it.

Your plastic ball is hooking and missing a 10 pin or a 7 pin because the lanes are so dry, good!! that shows you need to work on straightening the ball out, taking that little bit turn off the ball that's causing it to hook.

Practice is not always about how the ball reacts down the lane.

So, the point in all that is; practicing on easy conditions...or in random centers...doesn't make you a better bowler. And if you practice at one center and bowl league at another...your practice is essentially worthless. Sure, you can fork on the physical game and spare shooting...but whats the point in ironing out a strike line...when it's not going to be even CLOSE to the strike line in the house you bowl leagues at??

The practice is not worthless, you don't practice on varying conditions and in other houses to find one strike line that works everywhere. Your practicing and trying to learn the ability to find the strike line wherever you bowl.

Amyers
07-13-2016, 11:09 AM
The practice is not worthless, you don't practice on varying conditions and in other houses to find one strike line that works everywhere. Your practicing and trying to learn the ability to find the strike line wherever you bowl.

Well said Bowl

Aslan
07-13-2016, 07:18 PM
First, props to my good friend Bowl1820 for answering my question and digging up that old post.

The question is what to do when you go to practice and find the lanes not to your liking?

Do you complain about it and go home and bemoan the state of bowling or do you try to make the best of it?
First, I go home and google what bemoan means.

Then, I just sit angrily in my computer chair and usually type something hateful about it on bowlingboards.com.

Reason: Because who do you complain to? The guy or gal at the counter making $10/hour who think lane oil is just to make the lanes shiny?

Now, sometimes there's a manager there...and I'm gonna try next time to offer $10 to have the THS pattern applied to a pair...as long as they're not too busy....see what they say. Worth a shot I guess.

If the lanes are too dry, then you work on your approach, your form, the things leading up to the release. Nobody's form is so perfect they don't need to practice it.
But...that type of practice can be done anywhere. You could go in your backyard, put a quarter 15ft away, and just take 4 steps and 'bingo'....approach practice...target practice...and it costs $0 (unless you lose the quarter...then it costs a quarter).

Your plastic ball is hooking and missing a 10 pin or a 7 pin because the lanes are so dry, good!! that shows you need to work on straightening the ball out, taking that little bit turn off the ball that's causing it to hook.
100% Disagree. I was one of the holdouts...that claimed I didn't need a spare ball...that it was just an extra thing to carry around. Nearly everyone (minus Iceman), did the whole spiel about Norm Duke being the only one and you GOTTA get a spare ball. And the major selling point for a plastic spare ball...is you DON'T have to change your release to pick up corner pins. IF I have to change my release to pick up corner pins...then I no longer NEED a plastic ball...I just learn to flatten my wrist to pick up spares...especially throwing a resin ball with a symmetric core (and yes....I know they become asymmetric when they're drilled...but you know what I mean).

Yes....if you are a bowler that bowls at multiple centers. If not, why would you care?

As we've discussed in other topics...85%??? Is it 85% of bowlers ONLY bowl ONE house. Why in the WORLD would they want to practice somewhere else? They never leave their home center. It's like practicing for a Cello concert by practicing the piano.

So, of the other 15%....yeah, I think bowling in multiple centers and learning how to adjust to different conditions is absolutely important. Travel leagues, sport shot leagues, USBC events, tournaments...I've done em all. I've bowled in more DIFFERENT centers than probably anyone on this site over the past 3 years. I specifically tried to make the rules of the VBT (Virtual Bowling Tour) so that it FORCED players to get out of their comfort zone and bowl at different centers (which made them all whine and threaten to quit of course). But if you are in that 15% that bowls at more than one house for league...which is probably 6% of that 15%...you really just need practice at the house you have the lowest average in. And you only need practice on fresh conditions....league conditions.

BUT...if you're in that last 9%...then yes. If I knew I was staying in California...and could actually find a travel league...I'd LOVE that. I'd prefer that to the sport shot league. And remember, I was IN a sport shot league that changed patterns ever 3 weeks.

Again, it's not about not wanting to practice on varying conditions. I LOVE practicing on varying conditions and testing myself on varying patterns. BUT....a dried up, 17hr bowled on, mess of oil soaked out of the right side of the lane and oil carrydown to the pins from 14hrs of open bowling...and evaporation of the oil in the middle...THAT...is NOT..a PATTERN. It's garbage! It's like telling a football player to practice on an ice rink because, "Hey...ya never know...maybe you play in January and it rained the day before...flooded the field...and then got really cold and froze the field?? Could happen. But that's NOT a pattern.

Like I told the pro shop owner at my last home center...I told him I was leaving (mostly because I moved my residence and am now a 1.5 minute walk from a center), but also because I got sick of the owner of my old center making random decisions that he was going to oil or not oil pre-league....which I complained about twice...and it apparently had no effect. When I told the pro shop owner where I was going to bowl at...he said, "you're going from here to there and you think you'll do better there!?"

And I responded, "It's not about doing better...it's about bowling on a CONSISTENT pattern. If the center wants to put out an easy THS...I'll bowl on that. If the center wants to use the USBC Blue pattern...I'll bowl on that. If the center wants to put out my favorite pattern...the PBA Dick Weber pattern....I'll gladly bowl on that. If the center wants to make MWhite unhappy be deciding to oil a reverse-block pattern...I'll bowl on that. I don't care. I had a 149 average in a sport shot league...my ego is far more sturdy than most bowlers...I don't care if I do badly...as long as I'm bowling and getting better.

But practicing on "garbage"...on beat up, dry, dirty, damaged, uneven...."nonsense"?? That doesn't make me a better bowler...it makes me mad. And again...as I stated in the letter and since...I WANT bowling to be a popular sport again. I really do. BUT...how can I get better without practice? And if I can't practice on oiled lanes.....which mimic the conditions I'm likely to face "when it counts"...then whats the point? I can practice hitting a target 15ft away in my backyard. I can practice my approach in my kitchen (and often do). And I'm getting kind've tired of going to league night and bowling a 140-155 Game 1...because I can't work my line out...because when I last practiced I was standing 5/10 left and missing Brooklyn...now I'm standing 2/4 left and missing the pocket right on fresh conditions. Can I adjust? Sure. After I poo away Game 1...then I'm back to being dialed in...just in time for the lanes to start transitioning. :( :(