PDA

View Full Version : Brand Loyal or a Little Bit of Everything

Blomer
07-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Just curious, are you loyal to a certain brand of balls or do you have a mix of balls?
As for me, I'm STORM and Roto Grip guy. But I'm thinking about getting the DV8 Grudge Hybrid.

JaxBowlingGuy
07-14-2016, 03:55 PM
I have been throwing Storm since the Trauma line which was 99ish I think. I have had a few others here and there (Brunswick and Columbia) but have always reverted back to Storm. In the coming months I'll be picking up a new company but it's not going to be exclusive unless it works.

LyalC52
07-14-2016, 05:05 PM
I have my favs. but until someone pays me to throw a certain line, Im open to everything

billf
07-14-2016, 05:15 PM
I own a little of everything but I won't buy a new 900RotorStorm due to customer service issues a few years back.

Let's see, ten balls a year at an average cost of $150 for eight years means not standing behind what they say cost them $12,000 from me so far.

RobLV1
07-14-2016, 05:37 PM
For a few years I threw balls from the Brunswick/DV8/Radical family. The balls read the oil very well, but I felt there was something lacking in terms of the reaction to the friction. Since I had thrown Storm/Roto balls prior to the Brunswick balls, I knew that Storm balls give me the read from the friction that I look for on certain conditions. My current arsenal consists of: Radical Ridiculous, Storm Snap Lock, Brunswick LT 48, and Storm Fight. I'm pretty happy with this mix as it gives me the most options on the most lane conditions with surface adjustments, of course.

bowl1820
07-14-2016, 06:36 PM
Well back in the day, for me it was Hammer or Track/Columbia.

Hammer had this real nice motion, the 3D Offset cores balls were awesome and the Faball Burgundy Hammer was top of the line for urethane. (still have it and the 3D Tour hammer.)

Track/Columbia if you needed a ball for oil.

Today it's a toss up, most of the companies have great balls. But I was mainly Rotogrip, they had the best bang for buck most of the time.

The last few balls I've had mostly Brunswick/DV8 & a Hammer. But I'm going for a Motiv here shortly.

Timmyb
07-14-2016, 10:07 PM
10 Years ago, I wouldn't have bought anything but Columbia. I'm real partial to Storm. I lean towards companies that keep their work here in America.

mc_runner
07-15-2016, 08:37 AM
I've thrown Hammer and Brunswick in the past but generally like the storm/roto products now. I'd be open to trying others but with the cost of purchasing a new ball I don't just go out and buy them unless I know it's something I'll be comfortable with.

manke
07-15-2016, 10:44 AM
I'm not loyal to any one brand, if a ball looks like a good fit I will try it.

RobLV1
07-15-2016, 11:25 AM
I'm not loyal to any one brand, if a ball looks like a good fit I will try it.

Without first hand knowledge of the characteristics of a brand's coverstock characteristics, how do you know if it's a good fit?

Stormed1
07-15-2016, 11:34 AM
Currently my arsenal is primarily 900 Global and Motiv. When the dr allows me to return to bowling I will be trying some Brunswick/GV8/Radical bells

stargell1
07-15-2016, 04:19 PM
I started out purchasing Storm, but found out from a bowling proprietor that storm balls are just specialty balls. I now use Hammer balls and happy I made the switch.

vdubtx
07-15-2016, 05:11 PM
I am primarily Roto Grip. They just match up to my game really well.

Aslan
07-15-2016, 05:54 PM
I have my favs. but until someone pays me to throw a certain line, Im open to everything
AGREED.

I own a little of everything but I won't buy a new 900RotorStorm due to customer service issues a few years back.

Let's see, ten balls a year at an average cost of $150 for eight years means not standing behind what they say cost them $12,000 from me so far.

Also Agreed. I'll never throw Motiv until they respond to the letter I sent them. Normally I don't "boycott" companies...but after what Motiv did, I'd actually be embarrassed to throw that equipment. Many people probably disagree...just like people that are still Tom Brady fans and wear Tom Brady jerseys...but there has to be some consequence to encourage the desired behavior.

I've thrown Storm, Hammer, Columbia, 900Global, Brunswick, and Rotogrip...and:

- Storm seemed like good performance...but I had problems with chipping and cracking.
- Hammer and 900Global (pre-Storm) were good.
- Columbia and Rotogrip sucked. Just very little movement/performance/carry.
- Brunswick...all 4 balls I've thrown...even the $57 Slingshot performed great.

I think part of that type of assessment is game related though. I've seen a LOT of good bowlers throwing Rotogrip and having success....and I've seen people throwing Columbia having success...so just because thus far they haven't worked for me...doesn't mean they won't work great for someone else.

stargell1
07-15-2016, 06:35 PM
- Storm seemed like good performance...but I had problems with chipping and cracking.

Same here.

foreverincamo
07-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Mostly DV8 for myself with a little Brunswick thrown in. I have used Columbia before. I do have one Hammer Black Widow Hybrid I love though. It just has a shape unlike my other balls. When I have to go around an area that's burned up, that ball shines.

got_a_300
07-15-2016, 10:26 PM
I'm not loyal to any specific brand but I use mostly Storm
or Hammer equipment but I do have a couple of DV8 balls
laying around that I've put into retirement.

LOUVIT
07-16-2016, 04:13 PM
all I have now is a 10 year old NVS which is useless and a new Track Heat. I am waiting on the Storm Phaze I won here. The Track of course puts the 10 year old ball to shame I can't wait to throw the Storm

Blomer
07-16-2016, 06:11 PM
Well...today I bought my fist non Storm/Roto Grip ball, beside my Brunswick spare ball. I bought a Grudge Hybrid from DV8. Threw it at the ball demo and had to get one.

Genius
07-18-2016, 06:37 PM
As a low income, penny pinching bowler, I've been buying 50-10 yr old used balls for 30 bucks since I started bowling.First was a columbia 300 momentum, a couple of nondescript urethanes, and a brunswick revolver. I'm hoping for the day where I can get my a set of balls that I love brand new.

Briantime
07-19-2016, 09:34 AM
I have "only" purchased three balls since getting back into bowling but I have covered a pretty good range. Roto Grip, Columbia, Ebonite and a Storm.

Dialing into one manufacturer would be nice, but it takes away so many cool options...

Jaescrub
07-19-2016, 11:01 AM
I use mostly storm, but have two C300 balls I love. An old wrath xp and a crazy antics, my wife uses storm and hammer, Damon uses roto grip and hammer and chopper uses storm and roto grip. We all feel like you should just use balls that fit your game, any brand can work it's all about how you bowl, lane conditions, and drilling.

SAbowler
07-21-2016, 09:39 PM
A bit of everything for me. I've never had any Columbia or Brunswick balls though.

1VegasBowler
08-04-2016, 10:09 PM
I'm partial to the Brunswick/DV8 line, #TeamBrunswick

Kells
08-11-2016, 02:23 PM
I've always been a big fan of Storm/RG. I still want to try Motiv, even with all the bad press

panbanger
08-11-2016, 03:39 PM
I've only purchased 5 since getting back in to bowling. Started out with DV8 Misfit which I liked, moved up to a Storm Reign of Power which seemed very unforgiving to me. Tried a Storm Rocket, same story. Only worked well for maybe one and a half games out of a set, and demanded extreme accuracy. Lately I have a DV8 Rude Dude and an Outcast that I go to if the lanes get extra dry. I find they have a little more wiggle room compared to the Storm balls I've used.

foreverincamo
08-14-2016, 08:22 PM
9 balls drilled , 8 are Brunswick/DV8. One is Hammer Black Widow Legend.

foreverincamo
08-14-2016, 09:22 PM
Supposed to be a Motiv demo where I bowl league in a few weeks. May pick one up if I like something.

AlexNC
08-15-2016, 09:56 AM
The balls that have worked the best for me are ones that I purchased on the recommendation of my PSO - and its a mix of brands. So I suppose I don't care about the manufacturer. On the other hand, there is a PSO I used to frequent who was also a rep for a particular brand - and that is the only stuff he would ever recommend 🤑

dmet225
08-21-2016, 02:08 PM
Since getting back into bowling after a nearly 20 year layoff, I've bought the following:

Hammer Nail Smoke & Fire
Storm Byte
Storm Crux
Roto Grip Menace
Ebonite Maxim spare

1VegasBowler
08-21-2016, 03:55 PM
As soon as my budget allows for it, I will be adding the Brunswick Fanatic BTU. This ball will complete my arsenal and be as formidable as any out there.

SSG
08-23-2016, 10:43 PM
I used to throw only storm. I made a switch to hammer 5 to 6 years ago and loved the stuff they have put out. Always seemed to be a great fit for my game.

1VegasBowler
08-23-2016, 11:04 PM
I used to throw only storm. I made a switch to hammer 5 to 6 years ago and loved the stuff they have put out. Always seemed to be a great fit for my game.

A concept that too many people don't realize.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. All of the companies tend to market the newest equipment with the top bowlers so that we can buy it because they use it.

While I like what #TeamBrunswick has done, I don't like some of what is out there because it doesn't fit my game. While the original Nirvana, Absolute Nirvana, the DV8 Grudge, Diva XOXO are excellent balls, I prefer the Ultimate Nirvana, Vintage Danger Zone, Vandal, Thug Unruly and the Fanatic BTU.

Some of the blame has to be on the PSO's as well, because they like to push what they like and maybe what's not best for the individual.

Since I love the Brunswick family and my PSO is a Brunswick Staffer, we can talk about what we like & don't like about what Brunswick has, and we are pretty much on the same page.

Just because a PSO has a business, it doesn't necessarily mean they are going to look out for you, because their first interest (in most cases) is their bottom line.