PDA

View Full Version : New here and I have a couple quick questions

DrewDaDrummer
02-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Hey guys, relatively new bowler here and I have a few questions. I started bowling 3 months ago and a few weeks ago I decided to buy a ball since I was consistently bowling 140-150 and could never get any higher. After some research and question asking I bought a 15lb Ebonite Tornado at my pro shop and my scores have since rose 20-40 pts for the most part. OK now that I have that outta the way here are my questions.

I went back to the shop to see about getting that ball plugged since I don't bowl with my fingers all the way in the ball and only use my finger tips. The guy in the pro shop basically refused to do it since he said I was bowling with bad form. Is that normal for someone in a pro shop to do?

My next question is how many times can a ball's holes be re-filled and re-drilled? I recently bought an Ebonite The One that only had about 30 games bowled on it and one of the holes has already been filled and re-drilled once. Can it be done a second time? I didn't really need another ball but I got it for $35 so I couldn't say no.

Last question, how exactly are people holding/gripping the ball when they say that they are using the fingertip grip?

Lots of stuff I know and I am sorry just have been nosing around here for a few weeks and finally decided to post. Hopefully I can upload some videos soon and get my form/release/etc. critiqued as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!

DrewDaDrummer
02-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Not sure about my bowling lingo so what I meant by plugged was to have grips put in the ball making it easier for me to bowl with just my fingertips.

The KingPin
02-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Hey guys, relatively new bowler here and I have a few questions. I started bowling 3 months ago and a few weeks ago I decided to buy a ball since I was consistently bowling 140-150 and could never get any higher. After some research and question asking I bought a 15lb Ebonite Tornado at my pro shop and my scores have since rose 20-40 pts for the most part. OK now that I have that outta the way here are my questions.

I went back to the shop to see about getting that ball plugged since I don't bowl with my fingers all the way in the ball and only use my finger tips. The guy in the pro shop basically refused to do it since he said I was bowling with bad form. Is that normal for someone in a pro shop to do?

My next question is how many times can a ball's holes be re-filled and re-drilled? I recently bought an Ebonite The One that only had about 30 games bowled on it and one of the holes has already been filled and re-drilled once. Can it be done a second time? I didn't really need another ball but I got it for $35 so I couldn't say no.

Last question, how exactly are people holding/gripping the ball when they say that they are using the fingertip grip?

Lots of stuff I know and I am sorry just have been nosing around here for a few weeks and finally decided to post. Hopefully I can upload some videos soon and get my form/release/etc. critiqued as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Well let me start by saying Welcome to BowlingBoards.com it is an Honor to have you here and I do hope you get the advice and help you need. Also you can give some reviews of the equipment you use in our review discussions.

This is juts me talking, but I would say if you plug and redrill a ball too many times, the weight that you are taking out will effect the balls performance. That being said, it depends on the performance your looking for. Also where the existing holes are plugged, you may find a weird reaction "Possible" if it were to hit too many plugs. But again someone in a pro shop would know the tech specs about it.

I say you got a great deal, do what you feel. If it has only a few games on it and if it gets you out bowling where you can have a great time, do it.

I am sure you will have more replies soon

bowl1820
02-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Basically there are two grip's used today Fingertip and conventional.
Fingertip is where the middle and ring finger are inserted into the ball to the first joint of each finger.
http://www.bowlingboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10&stc=1&d=1234275734

Conventional is where the middle and ring finger are inserted into the ball to the second joint of each finger. (look at the house balls they are drilled this way.)

bowl1820
02-10-2009, 09:56 AM
My next question is how many times can a ball's holes be re-filled and re-drilled? I recently bought an Ebonite The One that only had about 30 games bowled on it and one of the holes has already been filled and re-drilled once. Can it be done a second time? I didn't really need another ball but I got it for $35 so I couldn't

Now if you are just making minor grip changes like in span or hole pitches, you can plug and redrill as much as needed.Because your just going back in the same hole for the most part.

as for full plugs (all 3 holes) most stop two. Also I'd watch on a plugged ball if the new layout had a plug wind up in the track area.

The One you have sounds like a good deal.

bowl1820
02-10-2009, 10:13 AM

When you got the tornado did they drill it as a conventional grip? if so why are you holding it with just your fingertips? This maybe why the proshop didn't want to change it.

I'd go back and ask him to go into more detail about what he meant by form and why he didn't want to change it for you. A good pro shop operator would explain it to you. If another proshop is in town you can go there for a second opinion if needed.

Iceman
02-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I agree with everything thus far, asking the question WHY to everyone that suggests a certain change is the key - if they can't explain it - then get other opinions. Most pro shops from what I have come to find is strictly money business until they get to know you. Then they tend to take more time and listen better. I have a good pro shop driller now and I have experienced the one that wanted me in and out as quick as possible. Even changing my span to shorter which caused me more hand problems, without me getting an explanation on why he did that.

Plugging is by rule of thumb, 2. As previous stated, once in the trackline, it's gets weary. Surface changes are a big part of rolling well. Inconsistent surfaces on a ball adding more battle into the game.

I have only redrilled twice (going from the shorter span to the longer span, but we only had to move fingers back, I did redrill the thumb holes a few times to play with pitches, but again this was not moving it around.

If that pro shop is not willing to explain it, I would look for other options or pro shops, maybe go in at a different time when someone else is working (it may have just been a bad day for the person that refused), also you may want to talk to the local house where you bowl at and ask around about the "resident pro" - if your bowling at their house, they will tend to help you a little more. Be careful here though, not taking anything away from "the ones that think they are resident pro's" but consider the source, don't just go after the high average bowlers, look at the ones that play the game well. Attitudes and mental games are the best coaches, you don't always have to average well to be a good coach.

Good luck with it, as we all have things to improve our games - we start with bowlingboards.com - Welcome aboard!

DrewDaDrummer
02-10-2009, 03:07 PM
The span (I think thats what I am talking about, distance between thumb and other 2 finger holes?) of The one is fine all I need are the holes to be drilled a little bit bigger. Now that I think of it I guess that doesn't require filling and re-drilling at all.

And bowl1820, with my Tornado that is how I have always held it, with the two fingers just inserted to the first joint. The guy in the pro shop told me that I was using an incorrect form and need to keep the fingers in up to the second knuckle. The problem with that is that when I hold the ball like that it doesnt feel comfortable on the release but when I go to just the first joint it feels smooth and natural to me.

I think the problem is with the way my Tornado is drilled. If I only put the 2 fingers in to the first joint then at times the ball doesn't sit properly in my hand and kinda just rests on the side of my palm.

kev3inp
02-10-2009, 05:24 PM
It sounds like you have a conventional grip and you're not putting your fingers all the way in. If this is the case you need to have the holes adjusted to get your fingers to go in to the second knuckle. That's fine for most beginners, but soon you'll want to go to a fingertip grip to get more motion out of the ball. If the fit is good you won't feel like you've got to grip the hell out of it to hang on. Damn, you're in Fort Myers. The other side of the state. Go to Larry Lichstein's shop and listen to whatever he tells you.

DrewDaDrummer
02-10-2009, 06:02 PM
It sounds like you have a conventional grip and you're not putting your fingers all the way in. If this is the case you need to have the holes adjusted to get your fingers to go in to the second knuckle. That's fine for most beginners, but soon you'll want to go to a fingertip grip to get more motion out of the ball.

I am trying to use more of a fingertip grip but my fingers keep slipping or my grip gets messed up because of the way the holes are drilled in the ball. It's hard to explain I guess. :confused: I will have to try and bring a camera with me the next time I go to the alley and post some pictures/videos and see if that helps any.

Go to Larry Lichstein's shop and listen to whatever he tells you.

You mean this guy? http://www.larrysprecisionproshop.com/about.asp

If so then his shop in Cape Coral is only like 10-15 minutes away from my house and that bowling alley is only a 5-10 minute drive from the alley I bowl at now. It's crazy there are atleast 7 alleys within 20 minutes of my house and all of them offer cheap open bowling on different days!:D

But if that is the Larry Lichstein you are talking about I will have to drive to the other side of the river and have a little chat with him.

kev3inp
02-10-2009, 07:04 PM
That's the guy. He drilled balls for the PBA tour for years and years, and everybody respects him. He's been on the Phantom's show and Let's Go Bowling. You couldn't ask for a guy who knows more.

ArtVandelay
02-10-2009, 08:37 PM
hmmm... I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate here, but not to be a jerk.... Just hear me out...

The internet is a tough thing, because none of us can really see what you're doing, how you're doing it, etc. Yeah, we can answer some questions, but others, who knows. So maybe you went to the pro shop and told this guy what you wanted to do and he decided it was bad form.

That being said, for purposes of full disclosure: I have horrible form. I sustained a baseball injury on my right thumb a long time ago, and bowling with my thumb in the hole is unnatural, and gets downright painful after a couple frames. But bowling with bad form will make consistency almost impossible. I bowled a couple times, a couple leagues, and had plenty of people ridicule me for not bowling properly, and explain that until I learn to bowl properly I'd never be any good. People are weird about bowling sometimes....

So I went out and found a USBC certified coach (if you ask someone in your bowling alley, they'll either know of one, or at least be able to point you in the right direction), and took a couple lessons (prices may vary, I went on a somewhat cheap side). I got a good coach, showed him my thumb (just by visually inspecting it, you can tell it's not exactly 100% normal, although it's not freakish either....), explained my issue, and asked for solutions. He worked with me on other things. My approach, my motions, my release. We found a way for me to bowl and release it as close to perfect as anyone with "perfect" form. My average rose dramatically (before the lesson, I was always hovering around 140-145, after the lesson, I almost immediately rose to about a 150-155), and is STILL on the rise (as of last league night, I had a 180-even average).

SO... that being said. You admitted you're new to the sport. There's a better than zero chance, the guy at the pro shop was a stubborn jerk, but just for fun, maybe he knows something about bowling (not necessarily a LOT, but something). You're new. You're OBVIOUSLY interested in getting better. Would it, perhaps, benefit you in the long tun to take at least one lesson, and just see what you can learn? Proper habits from the beginning, probably can't hurt anything!!!

You take care, man, and high scores!

bowl1820
02-10-2009, 11:40 PM
If your near LARRY LICHSTEIN 'S place I'd be headed over there. I met him or at the Kegel Training center.
If you ever get a chance to go to the Kegel Training center at Sebring do it. It's a load of $$$ but worth it.

DrewDaDrummer
02-12-2009, 10:59 AM
I will head over and talk to Mr. Lichstein. Also as for the pro shop guy I really don't know what was up with him. When I bought my ball there and had him drill it he was as polite as could be but once he had my money is his hands he only seemed to care about getting me out of his shop so he could churn out another sale. It seemed to me that he was more interested in money than anything else.

I have talked to others and they said they bought from him once and never went back because of his attitude/personality. I have even talked to quite a few bowlers and was able to talk to a coach for a little while and was told that there was really nothing wrong with my form. All that I was wanting was to have my ball set up for a fingertip grip since I am more comfortable with that compared to a conventional grip.

Oh well guess on my next day off I will be taking a drive to the Cape to talk to The Man!

bowl1820
02-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Make sure let us know what happens and what larry say's.