PDA

View Full Version : Nike abandons golf equipment business

Amyers
08-04-2016, 09:46 AM
It was announced today that Nike will quit making gold equipment. They will continue to make clothing and shoes but the clubs, balls, etc. are gone. The reason was the decline in the golf business. It's not just bowling although we seem to have taken it on the chin a bit earlier you are seeing this decline across many sports.

I believe the primary factor is the modern American lifestyle. We are too busy, too chained to our work, and over responsible to family to actually live anymore. I'm unsure of the solution to the problem or even if it's fixable at this point.

JaxBowlingGuy
08-04-2016, 10:13 AM
Add in broke lol

NewToBowling
08-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Two factors:

1) Rise of Under Armour
2) Fall of Tiger Woods - he was their money machine. Now not so much. Tiger Woods drove people to watch and play golf. The top stars of today (Spieth, Rory, Day, etc) just don't have the cache that Tiger has. Unfortunately he will never be the same and neither will golf.

Maybe someone can convince Tiger to take up bowling. A few years with Belmonte or whomever and he can be on the tour. What a boost that would be :)

ep1977
08-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Bowling and golf suffer from the same problem. They are both way to expensive! Golf is out of control with the prices that they charge to play a round here in NY. Bowling too is over $5 a game for most open bowling.

collinwho
08-05-2016, 09:59 AM
I get the impression that most high level golfers were never very impressed with Nike's equipment. When Rory Mcilroy switched to Nike in 2013, there were a lot of people saying his clubs were holding him back.

Jaescrub
08-05-2016, 10:18 PM
Cost has some too do with it in both sports, over worked / addicted to technology. The decline in tiger woods and the age of Jordan has been hard on Nike. Also Under armor as said before.