PDA

View Full Version : TNBA Singles Classic turns 50

onefrombills
02-10-2009, 02:29 PM
On Feb. 14-15, The National Bowling Association will hold the 50th Annual Reed-Hawthorne Memorial TNBA Singles Classic at the Freeway Lanes of Wickliffe in Wickliffe, Ohio. The scratch tournament has divisions for singles, ladies and seniors.

Founded in 1939 by African-Americans, the TNBA is open to all bowlers and remains committed to the principles of Sportsmanship, Fellowship and Friendship within its ranks and throughout the world of bowling. A non-profit organization, TNBA has more than 70,000 members and continues to be one of the largest black-operated and black-directed organizations in the country.

Dr. Michael L. Boykins, president of the TNBA, recently was asked about TNBA, the upcoming Singles Classic and the sport of bowling.

1. The TNBA is in its 70th year. How long have you been involved with TNBA?
I have been a bowler associated with TNBA for more than 25 years. I began in the youth leagues in Cleveland, and then while in college and early adulthood I bowled in the Detroit area; however, I now have settled in Mississippi (Jackson), and for more than 10 years it has been home.

2. This is the 50th year of the Singles Classic. What has made it so successful and special?
Its success has many factors. First, above all, it's our history of great TNBA bowlers who have competed and showcased their talents at this tournament. Secondly, the bowlers love the format, and while it is an amateur event, they feel like the pros. Finally, no event across the country produces "bracket play" like the Singles Classic. And I would be remiss in not acknowledging our tournament director, Mr. Martin Rigby and his staff, for this tournament's current and future success; also our national director, Mr. Luther Moses, for his vision and long-standing commitment to this event.

3. As a bowler, what has been the highlight of your experience at the Singles Classic?
Oddly enough, it was not my great day in the light, but it was my wife Vicky's victory in the Ladies Singles Classic Championship in 2001. Here I was born and raised in Cleveland and pretty well known as a good bowler. Mr. Billy Hawthorne, early that Saturday morning, had her and I presented before the tournament as the first competitors all the way from Mississippi. We moved up the ladder of the tournament format pretty quietly and suddenly heard my family and friends creating the buzz. Vicky had become a top qualifier and later went on to win the tournament.

4. Having been around the sport for so many years, have technological advances hurt or helped the game?
It is clear to me that technological advances in any sport are inevitable, especially this sport, which has been a part of so many people's lifestyle. I feel the advances have helped the sport tremendously and once again have bowling back to the forefront. My only concern is to reach a common understanding among the bowlers and the industry as to our future and the integrity of the sport.

5. You have worked as a bowling coach. What's the best piece of advice you can give a young bowler?
The collegiate experience has been wonderful as a coach, and for our student-athletes this is a unique experience all should relish. I encourage young bowlers to pursue the collegiate experience. This requires a couple of steps by an athlete: First is to get NCAA clearance. Second, produce a DVD of your skills, and inquire to various universities across the country. Third, continue to fine-tune your game in anticipation of the greatest time of your life.