PDA

View Full Version : Approach is killing me... Noob warning

Edy13
08-09-2016, 07:10 PM
Having a terrible time with my approach. I know it is "simply" walking 4 steps, but walking with the ball swinging is not clicking. I usually end up stutter stepping- ending with three steps versus four and muscling / pushing the ball instead of the desired pendulum. A lot of overthinking going on.

Any tips are welcome..

Thanks..

RobLV1
08-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Like in any other sport, the best time to get some coaching is when you are first starting out. Starting correctly saves a whole lot of time and money spent on trying to break bad habits later. Find a qualified coach in your area and start out right!

1VegasBowler
08-09-2016, 11:14 PM
Like in any other sport, the best time to get some coaching is when you are first starting out. Starting correctly saves a whole lot of time and money spent on trying to break bad habits later. Find a qualified coach in your area and start out right!

I totally agree here.

I'm bowling in a coached league for another couple of weeks and it was one of the best things I have done.

My steps, arm swing and timing are so much better now, and it's showing in my scores.

collinwho
08-10-2016, 10:40 AM
Coaching would definitely help.

One thing that might help is to start from the release and work backwards. So do some drills where you stand at the line and just focus on having a really free arm swing and release. Then add a 1 step approach to that. Once that is comfortable, move it back to a 2 or 3 step approach. Then try expanding to your full approach.

vdubtx
08-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Take it in slow motion until you get a feel for it and can then move to regular speed.

4 Step:

1. Push ball away and move right foot same distance
2. 2nd step your ball is moving backwards in the swing
3. ball is at the top of your swing
4. Slide and ball as it comes down gets delivered.

Chris Barnes does a better job at explaining and most importantly showing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TkbVLkzlps

Edy13
08-10-2016, 03:36 PM
Great.. Thank you for the assistance..

vdubtx
08-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Any time. I refer back to this video quite often when having timing issues.

Chamiso
08-10-2016, 05:03 PM
One thing that helps me stay consistent with my approach is through controlling my breathing. I find that as long as I always breath out and in at the same part of my approach and release I get alot more consistency than if I don't breathe at a determined pace and timing. If I'm breathing in as I starty release I almost always pull the ball or fail to keep my arm straight.