PDA

View Full Version : Two-Handed Full Roller

DaHammer
08-12-2016, 03:11 AM
Hey guys. I've finally gotten a lot of my mechanics worked out, so now I feel a bit more comfortable doing this. I struggled a lot early on with release and such, but I think I've found a happy medium at this point. So here goes...

I'm a lefty two-hander. I'm a full-roller (no one knows how I manage to full-roll two-handed, but I do). I currently use two Hammer Faballs (the old school ones). I mainly use a Burgundy Hammer as my strike ball, but I'll go to my Blue Hammer if the lanes really dry out or if I want to go shallower with my line. I usually play the Blue Hammer from center to a dot right of center, then get it out to the 3-6 board and let it snap back. The Burgundy Hammer plays about 5-7 boards farther right for me (so, deeper). I got them both used, and haven't re-drilled them. As such, they're both technically drilled for righties, but since the core is fairly simple (and since I don't use my thumb), I figured that it wouldn't make that much of a difference. They're both really consistent for me (or, as consistent as my skill level allows), but sometimes they lack entry angle, leaving me with those damn 7 pins.

I'd love to get something with a bit more snap to it, but ever since I bought a new Match Pearl, I've been afraid to go out on a limb again. The Match Pearl over-hooked so badly that my mechanics kinda went out the window just trying to keep the ball on the lane. As a result I bought the Hammer balls and haven't picked up the Match Pearl since. I have about two weeks until my fall league starts, so I might drag it back out one night and see if it works better for me now. But outside of that possibility, I'd love an opinion or two on something that would get me a little more backend, but not over-hook something awful. I throw about 15-16 mph at the heads, and my rev rate is about 350. I average about 160 at this point, and have been mainly working on spare pick-ups over the last month.

I don't have a video of my bowling (I might fix that today if I have time). Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Hammer

JaxBowlingGuy
08-12-2016, 10:01 AM
If the Match moves too much you're almost out of options with Storm. The tropical storm is a little less ball. May want to look into urethane to smooth out the reaction

Jaescrub
08-12-2016, 10:42 AM
My first thought was how the F can a two hand bowler be a full roller. If you want a storm ball the pitch black might be your only option.

DaHammer
08-12-2016, 05:53 PM
My first thought was how the F can a two hand bowler be a full roller. If you want a storm ball the pitch black might be your only option.

Is there anything outside of Storm that would be worth taking a look at?

Jaescrub
08-12-2016, 08:56 PM
Is there anything outside of Storm that would be worth taking a look at?
Lots but if your having balls like the match move too much for you I'm not the guy to suggest anything out side of the equipment I have seen/used.

JasonNJ
08-12-2016, 09:15 PM
I think if the Match is hooking too much then you need to increase your speed. Try quicken your tempo to the foul line and see if that smoothens out the reaction for you.

If you insist on trying to get another ball, then any of the Urethane balls. Pitch Black, Pitch Blue from Storm, Blue Hammer from Hammer, BTU Fanatic from Brunswick or the Rebel Tank from Motiv are the ones I can think of.

bowl1820
08-12-2016, 09:27 PM
I'd love to get something with a bit more snap to it, but ever since I bought a new Match Pearl, I've been afraid to go out on a limb again. The Match Pearl over-hooked so badly that my mechanics kinda went out the window just trying to keep the ball on the lane.

If you haven't tried it yet, you could try adding texture to the surface of the Match. That should even out the reaction some and give you more control. Maybe around 500grit and see how it reacts.

DaHammer
08-12-2016, 10:48 PM
I haven't tried messing with the surface yet. I'll look into it. Also, I've been working on speed a lot, but I have an iffy knee and an old pulled rotator cuff muscle. So unfortunately, I think the 16 mph I get at the heads is about the best I'm going to get.

2handedsniper
08-17-2016, 09:05 AM
I'm a two handed Two-Handed Full Roller but I need a better entry angle for the ball to exit at 20.

billf
08-20-2016, 07:22 PM
I'm a two handed Two-Handed Full Roller but I need a better entry angle for the ball to exit at 20.

Try this again but worded in a way that makes sense.

1VegasBowler
08-21-2016, 04:07 PM
Take a look at the Brunswick Fanatic BTU. Why? Because it's Better Than Urethane.

Check out the video on it from Lane Side Reviews - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSJvyj-EgDM