PDA

View Full Version : New ball

drlawsoniii
08-24-2016, 08:59 AM
Hi guys, bowling alley destroyed my ball they're paying for half of a new one. I loved my storm marvel, but they can't get me a new one. I'm a stroker with low revs and a ball speed of 13-14 mph I'm thinking about a Roto Grip No Rules, a Hammer Black Widow Dark Legend or the Storm Alpha Crux. Which ball do you guys think would be best for me and why?

Thanks,

Rob

Amyers
08-24-2016, 09:31 AM
Generally super aggressive balls with lots of surface are not good choices for players with lower balls speeds. You mentioned also that your lower revs a little more aggressive ball can help with that some but if you go to far with it you burn what little rotation you do have to early. Some of this depends on the amount of oil currently being applied to the lanes when you bowl on them and if this is going to be your primary ball. If you're going to be using this as your primary ball I would suggest looking at something with a surface of about 3k-4k or maybe polished to help save energy on with your lower speed and maybe a little more aggressive to help with the lower rotation you have. I'm guessing by your ball choices you prefer storm and hammer brands so.

Hammer: BW Red Legend Pearl, Rebel, or either of the Arson High Flare series

Storm/Roto: Eternal Cell, Critical, Rocket Ship, one of the Phazes or Fights

All of these should offer you plenty of movement and be useful to you on what most house shots have to offer. It's tempting especially when we get a free one to go with the most expensive ball on the racks but it's way more important to get what will work best for you than getting the highest dollar ball.

drlawsoniii
08-24-2016, 09:52 AM
I'm pretty happy with the performance i got out of my Marvel which to me (a novice) the stats look pretty similar to the balls i discussed. I was able to use it for about the first game and a half to 2 of my 3 games in league and was pretty consistent. I'm a 185 bowler, and my arsenal also includes a Columbia Freeze and a Tzone for spares...by the third game I can pretty flawlessly switch from the Marvel to the Freeze. I'm looking for something like that where i dont have to change my game up.

Amyers
08-24-2016, 10:22 AM
I'm pretty happy with the performance i got out of my Marvel which to me (a novice) the stats look pretty similar to the balls i discussed. I was able to use it for about the first game and a half to 2 of my 3 games in league and was pretty consistent. I'm a 185 bowler, and my arsenal also includes a Columbia Freeze and a Tzone for spares...by the third game I can pretty flawlessly switch from the Marvel to the Freeze. I'm looking for something like that where i dont have to change my game up.

Which Marvel did you have? They have made quite a few within that family or did you actually have an original Marvel? The one most similar to the balls you listed would have been the Marvel-S. The Alpha is quite a bit more aggressive than it and the No Rules I haven't seen yet in person but I expect it would be also. The Dark Legend might be in the same ball park unless your looking at the newer Dark Legend Solid and again it would be a rather large step up in strength.

mc_runner
08-24-2016, 10:25 AM
How long did you have the marvel for? Did you often get it resurfaced/deoiled?

If you had it for awhile and didn't keep up with regular maintenance you were probably getting a way tamed down reaction out of it as the ball loses it's new OOB reaction pretty quickly (for my dull solid, it was about 50 games). If you could switch flawlessly from marvel to freeze, you'd probably want something in the mid-range of balls. If you like Storm, a Fight might be a good choice.

Edit - I was assuming you had the Marvel S as well.

drlawsoniii
08-24-2016, 10:57 AM
I had the Original Marvel http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-balls/storm/9108/marvel.html

drlawsoniii
08-24-2016, 11:01 AM
I had the Marvel since late 2012, it had 4 14 week seasons and 1 33 week season on it. It never got resurfaced til the alley tried doing it after they damaged it. (it looked like someone took an icepick to it and just beat it to hell chipping out spots all over my track. every three games i'd soak it in hot tap water with a quarter cup of simple green concentrate to draw out the oil.

Also, just for added detail. My approach starts with the inside of my left foot just to the left of the 35 board dot, and my target is the 10th board range finder.

Amyers
08-24-2016, 11:53 AM
I had the Marvel since late 2012, it had 4 14 week seasons and 1 33 week season on it. It never got resurfaced til the alley tried doing it after they damaged it. (it looked like someone took an icepick to it and just beat it to hell chipping out spots all over my track. every three games i'd soak it in hot tap water with a quarter cup of simple green concentrate to draw out the oil.

Also, just for added detail. My approach starts with the inside of my left foot just to the left of the 35 board dot, and my target is the 10th board range finder.

So the short answer to the question is all of the balls you were originally asking about are way more aggressive then the original marvel. All three have asymmetrical cores where your original marvel did not even though the core numbers are somewhat similar. The cover on all three balls of these balls is easily stronger too. If you want to try one go ahead there is nothing wrong with them they are good balls but they are made for heavy oil conditions. Just understand what you are buying. Honestly the balls I suggested are at least as aggressive or maybe more than your Marvel was when it was new out of the box

drlawsoniii
08-24-2016, 01:34 PM
I spoke with the pro shop guy and he watched me bowl a couple of frames. We decided on a snap lock, he said that i should leave a lot less 10s with it as it has more energy in the back end

1VegasBowler
08-24-2016, 03:35 PM
I'm low speed, low rev and I use the Ultimate Nirvana for a THS and some sport patterns.

If all you're interested in is bowling on a THS, you might want to look at Brunswick's Fanatic & Fanatic BTU.