PDA

View Full Version : Ball release at foul line.

Hawk
09-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Hello, I got another one.. How close is to close to the foul line to release the ball. I see some release far away and some really close..
Hawk.

Sche3067
09-01-2016, 01:47 PM
i guess once you go over or hit the foul lie then its to close.

Hawk
09-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Hello I should try to explain myself more, the Ball is what I have in question of how close is to close to the foul line to release the ball..
Hawk.

Sche3067
09-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Hello I should try to explain myself more, the Ball is what I have in question of how close is to close to the foul line to release the ball..
Hawk.

there is really no right answer because it depends how the lanes are reacting and what your trying to do. Some people release before, right on top, and even after the foul line. It really depends on what your approach looks like and what you feel most comfortable upon having a correct release. Thee is a really good USBC academy video about this sort of thing. I would suggest getting a month subscription there for the videos. PM i might be able to find it in my archives

got_a_300
09-01-2016, 04:28 PM
there is really no right answer because it depends how the lanes are reacting and what your trying to do. Some people release before, right on top, and even after the foul line. It really depends on what your approach looks like and what you feel most comfortable upon having a correct release. Thee is a really good USBC academy video about this sort of thing. I would suggest getting a month subscription there for the videos. PM i might be able to find it in my archives

Sche3067 is correct there is no set rule as to where to let the ball go on the lane as it
all depends on lane conditions example.... how oily or how dry the heads are and where
the shot tells you to play at.

If the heads/mids are fried then you'll need a little more loft and if they are too oily then
you need to try and get the ball into a roll earlier by setting it shorter on the lane to try
and get it to pick up and read the mids.

Hawk
09-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Hello, Thank you everybody I totally appreciate all the help. I'm glad I decided To keep going to the lanes. I Like this Sport, It is a personal challenge which is what I like no challenge No fun!
Hawk.

Amyers
09-01-2016, 06:30 PM
Hello, I got another one.. How close is to close to the foul line to release the ball. I see some release far away and some really close..
Hawk.

When I was in juniors the coach would put down a towel lengthwise across the lane just on the opposite side of the foul line. The object was to get the ball over the towel without touching it but to just get it to the other side.

Ideas may have changed on this as I see more modern players release just to the other side of the line almost touching the floor.

Sche3067
09-01-2016, 07:20 PM
I sent u a pm with a video that might help you

1VegasBowler
09-01-2016, 07:34 PM
When I was in juniors the coach would put down a towel lengthwise across the lane just on the opposite side of the foul line. The object was to get the ball over the towel without touching it but to just get it to the other side.

Ideas may have changed on this as I see more modern players release just to the other side of the line almost touching the floor.

My release is just beyond the foul line, but I attribute that to my approach. I'm bent over at the waist and stay that way until I release the ball (similar to Marshall Holman). But I also stay forward as well and I use the dots at the foul line.

Doesn't matter if I'm playing straight up the 10 or going 15 to 10, or whatever the case may be.

billf
09-02-2016, 05:17 PM

This was taught due to wood lanes combined with minimal oil. Those few inches were believed to be needed to "clear the heads" lol. Once real scientific studies started being done that went away. The only people teaching that now are our age and haven't kept up with the changes or understand the how's/why's

foreverincamo
09-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Depends on the conditions. I can lay it down by the foul line or hoist it to the arrows if needed.

Amyers
09-06-2016, 10:39 AM
This was taught due to wood lanes combined with minimal oil. Those few inches were believed to be needed to "clear the heads" lol. Once real scientific studies started being done that went away. The only people teaching that now are our age and haven't kept up with the changes or understand the how's/why's

Thanks Bilf I kind of figured that info was from the past but wasn't sure. I haven't really heard anyone talk much about this since I've come back to bowling. I've personally reduced my loft quite a bit but it's still present in my game.