PDA

View Full Version : different weight for spare balls?

2handedsniper
09-09-2016, 01:40 PM
I struggle with alternating to the next strike ball

LOUVIT
09-09-2016, 01:43 PM
I was looking at getting a 13 or 14 lb ball for right side spares only.. I am fine with all other spares and then I think is it worth it? I see lot's of people throwing their normal ball at 10 pins and some how making them. I have a 3 ball bag and 2 balls, my issue is I do not want to carry 3 balls up 2 sets of stairs to get them into my second floor condo.....lol

bowl1820
09-09-2016, 01:47 PM
I struggle with alternating to the next strike ball

Your strike ball and spare ball should weight the same, then theres no problem.

LOUVIT
09-09-2016, 01:53 PM
why do some people with strong balls not need a spare ball? When I was practicing yesterday they guy next to me was throwing a hell of a ball and still made all his 10 pins with the same ball. I asked him and he said he doesn't know why people need 2 balls. I asked his average and he said 203. I am against spare balls, never used one but also that was 25 years ago. These day's it's a hard decision. I'll wait until I figure out my first shot before worrying about the second.....lol

Jessiewoodard57
09-09-2016, 02:13 PM
I switched a while back from 13# to 14# equipment since the 13# usually means a generic weight block. When I switched I still had my 13# Hammer Taboo spare ball which I was also using as a strike ball on very dry lanes. Since it was 13# it did not have the gas mask core nor did it have the hitting power of the heavier balls. I looked all over for a 14# taboo spare but was not willing to pay $199 plus shipping for a NIB retired ball. I am glad I held out Hammer just released the Widow Spare which is identical in specs to the Taboo Spare and for $89 plus drilling. Hammer calls it their performance polyester spare. on the dry it has a really nice backend when I come off the side of the ball BUT if I come straight up the back of the ball it is a perfect corner pin spare ball. It rolls as straight as an arrow.

bowl1820
09-09-2016, 02:22 PM
One of the main ideas behind having a spare ball is you don't really have to change your release to have it go straight and it takes the lane conditions out of play.

While yes you can use your strike ball, you have to make changes to your release typically to have it go straight. Plus you run the risk of the ball reacting unexpectantly to the lane conditions.

Also having a spare ball saves a lot of wear and tear on your typically more expensive strike ball.

collinwho
09-09-2016, 02:49 PM
I used to have a 14lb spare ball even though everything else I throw is 15. I couldn't keep my arm swing the same with it. I always ended up muscling the ball down the lane. When I switched to a 15lb spare ball, my single pin spare percentage went way up.

ep1977
09-09-2016, 09:03 PM
With a plastic spare ball it doesn't matter how much oil is on the lanes. You throw it the same and it goes it straight. I only use the plastic for 6,9,10 pins and the combos of those pins. I can make the 10 pin at the same percentage with my Hectic but if the lanes get really dry in the back end it wants to hook just past it.

1VegasBowler
09-10-2016, 03:18 AM
My T Zone is a #12 and depending on what I'm shooting at depends on how I throw it. It can be as straight as an arrow, or I can get some lift on it to hang by the gutter for the 10 pin.

I much prefer the plastic ball for spares because I know the reaction is minimal at best, especially if I create any accidental lift.

billf
09-10-2016, 07:51 AM
Using different weight balls is a recipe for disaster. Most end up with timing and/or muscling issues. There are exceptions but they are few and far between.

Plastic for spares depends on how well you can throw the ball straight and go back to your normal release without a hitch. In the end most bowlers just find it easier to use plastic and not have to alter their release. Myself, I go through stretches where I couldn't throw a ball straight to save my life. In tournaments I wouldn't dream of taking the chance.

LOUVIT
09-10-2016, 03:45 PM
so many time I thought I had made the 10 pin and it seems the last 6''s the ball hooks away...like it's scared of hitting it. I also do not want to spend 150 or so for a drilled 10 pin ball. I can get to almost all other spares, even the 6-10 with my strike ball. On 10 pins it either drops in the channel or hooks away by inches. honestly since I've been throwing my Storm Phaze I have moved to the inside line from the outside line and haven't been leaving a lot of 10 pins. Probably all in my mind but sure seems that way.

bowl1820
09-10-2016, 04:28 PM
I also do not want to spend 150 or so for a drilled 10 pin ball.

You don't have too!

A good polyester (Plastic) spare ball can be had for less than a hundred dollars. Those $150-$199 dollar spare balls are not regular spare balls, they have dynamic cores and are more for use as dry lane strike balls.

I just got a new C300 Whitedot (which is one of the most widely used plastic balls) for $85 that's drilled plus finger & thumb inserts.

LOUVIT
09-10-2016, 04:53 PM
You don't have too!

A good polyester (Plastic) spare ball can be had for less than a hundred dollars. Those $150-$199 dollar spare balls are not regular spare balls, they have dynamic cores and are more for use as dry lane strike balls.

I just got a new C300 Whitedot (which is one of the most widely used plastic balls) for $85 that's drilled plus finger & thumb inserts.

yes but it's 50 to have it drilled in with my PSO

bowl1820
09-10-2016, 05:40 PM
yes but it's 50 to have it drilled in with my PSO

Most Proshops if you buy the ball there include the price of drilling in the price of the ball and most standard plastic balls run way less than a $100. So you should be able to be out the door for less than $100 on plastic ball. (Maybe down around Brandon the prices have gone up, still shouldn't be no 150. if so just shop it around theres plenty of proshops around the Tampa area)

Now if your talking about drilling a ball that you bought online and brought in, then a proshop would charge about $40-$50 to drill it.

But the price of say a whitedot online is only about $50, so $50 for drilling would still only be about $100.

JasonNJ
09-11-2016, 01:03 AM
I bought a Tzone spare ball for about $80 at my local pro shop a few years back and just switched to a Storm Mix which I got for $99 drilled with custom thumb slugs and grips.

Tony
09-11-2016, 01:46 AM
why do some people with strong balls not need a spare ball? When I was practicing yesterday they guy next to me was throwing a hell of a ball and still made all his 10 pins with the same ball. I asked him and he said he doesn't know why people need 2 balls. I asked his average and he said 203. I am against spare balls, never used one but also that was 25 years ago. These day's it's a hard decision. I'll wait until I figure out my first shot before worrying about the second.....lol

I've watched this exact issue a lot over the past couple of years, I got a new ball with tons more surface than anything I've ever had and watched the ball hook away from 10 pins way too much, so I did get a spare ball. When I'm hitting my mark I get the spare every time, but I still missed some.
I've watched more than a few 230 plus average guys throw their strike ball at everything and others that always use the plastic ball. It appears that the guys who use the strike ball and average 230 plus don't miss many 10 pins.
Seems like the percentages should be higher with a plastic ball, but some of those guys have it down really well hitting with their strike ball.
This year I started using my strike ball IQ 30th anniversary and have hit a pretty high percentage of 10 pins, however I know if I change to a different ball I would have to possibly start using the spare ball again.

1VegasBowler
09-11-2016, 02:50 AM
I looked back at my last 3 series to see how many single 10 pins I have left. There were 7 of them and all were converted.

For me, if I use anything other than my plastic for spares, the chances for missing is far too much. Balls with symmetrical and asymmetrical cores don't need much to make them hook, and it's not worth the risk.

Remember the old saying....Strikes for show, spares for dough.

This holds very true when you're playing on any sport pattern.

Wherearemyballs
09-11-2016, 07:57 PM
You don't have too!

Got the Rhino for a Dry Lane Strike Ball, that I can shoot spares with. A simple broken wrist adjustment to reduce lift should work fine. Just use a different mentality for each shot.

I have used a Gold Dot as a spare ball , and have put some of my best series up on dry lanes with it.

If I only knew where it went?

billf
09-12-2016, 10:06 AM
For the season so far, three leagues 5 of 7 on ten pins. I have used my strike ball, straight and fast.

Polyester balls, new in box, can be found on ebay for $32-40. They may be closeouts but does that really matter?

Amyers
09-12-2016, 10:55 AM
so many time I thought I had made the 10 pin and it seems the last 6''s the ball hooks away...like it's scared of hitting it. I also do not want to spend 150 or so for a drilled 10 pin ball. I can get to almost all other spares, even the 6-10 with my strike ball. On 10 pins it either drops in the channel or hooks away by inches. honestly since I've been throwing my Storm Phaze I have moved to the inside line from the outside line and haven't been leaving a lot of 10 pins. Probably all in my mind but sure seems that way.

Shop around if your proshop is charging $150 for a drilled white dot somethings wrong. I can get a white dot or really any of the cheep spare balls drilled with grips and slugs for less than $80. Probably if I'm willing to take whatever plastic he can get a deal on $60. If it eliminates one miss a night it's worth it over the likely two or three seasons the ball will last.

Amyers
09-12-2016, 11:02 AM
I've watched this exact issue a lot over the past couple of years, I got a new ball with tons more surface than anything I've ever had and watched the ball hook away from 10 pins way too much, so I did get a spare ball. When I'm hitting my mark I get the spare every time, but I still missed some.
I've watched more than a few 230 plus average guys throw their strike ball at everything and others that always use the plastic ball. It appears that the guys who use the strike ball and average 230 plus don't miss many 10 pins.
Seems like the percentages should be higher with a plastic ball, but some of those guys have it down really well hitting with their strike ball.
This year I started using my strike ball IQ 30th anniversary and have hit a pretty high percentage of 10 pins, however I know if I change to a different ball I would have to possibly start using the spare ball again.

I know some truly great house bowlers who do this too. I bowl a scratch travel league and there are two wood houses on that league that are just beat up outside 10. I laugh and laugh watching them miss multiple 10's in those houses every year. There are 6-8 guys on that league that can generate the 18-19 mph that it takes to keep a reactive ball from hooking in those houses, the rest of them I hope they know how to throw a backup ball because other wise they are toast. Sad thing about it most of the ones that try this do it every year and I see them outside cursing the alley, lanes, and the guy who put the pattern down because they just lost way more in brackets than a new spare ball would ever cost.

stargell1
09-14-2016, 11:31 PM
I use a ten pound plastic ball for corner pins. Works out nice. I save wear and tear on my expensive 14 pound resin ball, and wear and tear on my body.

okfoz
09-23-2016, 03:08 PM

IT depends on your gifts.. Personally I cannot throw my strike ball consistently at the 10 pin because I have to use a wrist brace that helps my ball hook. I can throw it as a reversed "Left to Right hook" AKA backup ball, but it hurts too much (broke my wrist in 1990). If you can flatten the roll of the ball, you can hit the 10 pin without any problem, but why put the extra strokes on your primary ball?

The thing is about using a spare ball IE Polyester, you can use it to pick up any spare, on virtually any lane condition, and not have to change as much as if you use a strike ball for say the dreaded 10 pin. Not only that they are usually cheap, under $100...

:2cents:

John