PDA

View Full Version : Upsetting or Neat when open bowlers stare As We hit pocket ?

2handedsniper
09-10-2016, 04:50 PM
----

LOUVIT
09-10-2016, 04:52 PM
if they are staring I like to throw light mixers with lot's of pin action...I admit I like that also....lol

ep1977
09-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Why would anyone be upset by another person admiring there bowling skills?

2handedsniper
09-10-2016, 05:25 PM
you get caught in the debate stage should i help them or no. also, not everybody knows 2 handed bowling is perfectly acceptable and may look because its weird to them because they do not watch the PBA

mc_runner
09-10-2016, 06:19 PM
If you're doing a chest-pass style release, it's going to come with the territory of people watching you do it because it's so unorthodox. Also - best not to help anyone unless they ask. Even well intentioned can come off bad or can be unappreciated and most people are just there to have fun. And, giving advice any more complex other than "look at a spot on the lane and try to hit it" can lead to bad habits or make someone worse off, since everyone's different.

Blomer
09-10-2016, 06:24 PM
I think it's great when others watch and seem in awe when seeng me throw strikes. Specially with a lot of pin action. I also don't really see the handers in a special category as you imply in some of your posts. I travel around to a few centers and see them more often n open bowl. Sure those who bowl just for fun and not so often may be intrigued, but whether a person is using one hand or two and getting a ton of strikes is fun to watch no matter what.

Blomer
09-10-2016, 06:26 PM
If you're doing a chest-pass style release, it's going to come with the territory of people watching you do it because it's so unorthodox. Also - best not to help anyone unless they ask. Even well intentioned can come off bad or can be unappreciated and most people are just there to have fun. And, giving advice any more complex other than "look at a spot on the lane and try to hit it" can lead to bad habits or make someone worse off, since everyone's different.

Totally agree. Last week a guy who is a good bowler was trying to give me tips, same guy from a post long time ago, and it messed with my head. He over heard me talking bout my should issues and thought he would be able to help.

ep1977
09-10-2016, 11:17 PM
you get caught in the debate stage should i help them or no. also, not everybody knows 2 handed bowling is perfectly acceptable and may look because its weird to them because they do not watch the PBA

So your question was really meant just for you and your 1 in a million bowling style. If I saw you bowling in my house I would stop and take a look as well because chest passing a bowling ball down the lane is nothing I've ever seen before.

Tony
09-11-2016, 04:09 PM
The most people I have ever seen watching a bowler in open bowling was last year when a 16 year kid was practicing trick shots, it even surpassed the people watching the guy who bowls backwards.

There were probably at least 50 people sitting within the area where this kid was bowling.

Of course it probably didn't hurt that he holds the all time National High school record for high average. So he's pretty good ....

He seemed pretty much unaffected by the onlookers.

I will say in the time I was there I never once saw him do a rugby throw.

2handedsniper
09-12-2016, 09:11 AM
What hints would people give if they want help or my business card?

mc_runner
09-12-2016, 09:18 AM
They would directly ask you to help.

billf
09-12-2016, 09:30 AM

What's your business card say? A well designed, well placed business card can open up some opportunities.

JaxBowlingGuy
09-12-2016, 10:18 AM

I'd probably just cross that bridge when and if that time comes.

2handedsniper
09-12-2016, 01:51 PM
My business card says 1 2 handed bowling paragraph and my contact info. I really hope to hustle people at Cosmic bowling. for money lessons. I posted a Craigslist ad.

Amyers
09-12-2016, 02:04 PM
My business card says 1 2 handed bowling paragraph and my contact info. I really hope to hustle people at Cosmic bowling. for money lessons. I posted a Craigslist ad.

Some people should be taken out and shot at an early age to prevent them from reproducing.

ep1977
09-12-2016, 02:49 PM

YOU give lessons? Do you know how to bowl but just choose not to do it yourself?

Tony
09-12-2016, 03:09 PM

What credentials do you possess that would indicate to anyone that you are qualified to be coaching bowling ?

2handedsniper
09-12-2016, 03:15 PM
Multiple 600 series, 95% head pin accuracy.

Tony
09-12-2016, 03:19 PM

That's probably true of over half the people here, why don't you go take the classes and become a certified coach if that's what you're interested in.

Tony
09-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Are you intending to teach people traditional 1 and 2 handed techniques or are you planning to teach rugby throwing ?

chrono00
09-12-2016, 03:37 PM
Does anyone else live in this area that can bowl a series against this kid just for the entertainment value

NewToBowling
09-12-2016, 03:38 PM

I hit head pin probably 98% of the time. Of course head pin does not equal pocket

ep1977
09-12-2016, 03:45 PM

2 handers hitting the head pin = splits!!!

2handedsniper
09-12-2016, 03:48 PM
to chrono, the real entertainment would you be you bowling on a shark pattern. Now wouldn't that be interesting.

chrono00
09-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Sounds like fun to me

billf
09-12-2016, 05:14 PM

This has zero to do with being able to coach. I only averaged 18something last year. ALL my clients other than the new kid average higher than me. Means nothing. They are all better bowlers than me, so what.
Real coaching is about; 1. the physical game cause and effects
2. mental game. How and what to think when. What is your athlete thinking when they bury a shot and leave the 7-10 to lose a tournament? How do you keep them from imploding after? How do you get them to keep believing in themselves? Tons more to this than most would believe
3. Strength and conditioning. Can't make them do it unless they are on your college team but have to be able to suggest, advise and help.
4. Nutrition. Obviously goes well with #3

If all I could teach them was to roll 600s I would be in real trouble as a few average over 230. This includes three from members of the Urbana University mens bowling team that won a National title a few years ago.

panbanger
09-12-2016, 05:41 PM
Hmmmm is it kosher here to post somebody's name if they haven't offered it up themselves? I could be mistaken and maybe he's given this information already.

mc_runner
09-12-2016, 05:56 PM
This is exactly why Rob always says find a certified coach, not just a coach. Ugh.

NewToBowling
09-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Hmmmm is it kosher here to post somebody's name if they haven't offered it up themselves? I could be mistaken and maybe he's given this information already.

I agree with this sentiment

AlexNC
09-12-2016, 06:18 PM

I think it was on one of his videos but I deleted my post anyways. It was not my intention to reveal his name, happened to be on the page that was linked. Probably for the better.

fortheloveofbowling
09-12-2016, 06:33 PM
Keep in mind this kid may be mentally challenged. He did mention the Special Olympics once which is a fine organization.

Tony
09-12-2016, 06:57 PM
Keep in mind this kid may be mentally challenged. He did mention the Special Olympics once which is a fine organization.

That would certainly explain some of the content. Special Olympics does a wonderful job providing a much needed community service.

IHateTenPins
09-12-2016, 08:19 PM
I don't post much but this kid is annoying. I saw his video and I wonder if that is really him because that kid looks mentally handicapped but then that would explain a lot too.

JaxBowlingGuy
09-12-2016, 09:49 PM
Just giving constructive criticism, I feel you have a ways to go in regards to coaching. Not saying to give up, but keep working. Do the coaching courses, attended the seminars. Looks like you just started sanctioned bowling this past season, so my advice would be to seek a mentor (coach, good bowler, whoever) and work with them. If you're goal this season is to average 200, you'll have to work with someone to achieve it. Looks like you're about 44 pins away. Not that it can't be done, but it'll take some work to make that large of a jump. If your goal is to coach the special Olympics, you'll have to refer back to the earlier part on coaching. I'm sure that will take at minimum silver level certification for something like an assistant position.

Timmyb
09-12-2016, 10:46 PM

I'm not sure how long you've been bowling , so here's a little wake up call for you. Last year, I averaged 201.63. 18 of those 32 weeks, I was above 600. I managed that, considering I hadn't bowled in a league since 2008, and that was a bi-weekly league (I posted 214 in that one). Prior to that, my last full league was in 2004 or 2005. I've been bowling since I was 8 years old. I literally can't remember the last time I missed the pocket in league. I have more 600 series than most people will ever see, and I've hit 700 over a dozen times. I will never be heard of or seen in the professional ranks. I'm not sure what you've got going on, and I hate to be anyone to judge, but it seems to me you've got a hell of a lot farther to go than me. If you are handicapped, I commend you on your progress. Not many with physical, mental or other issues can do what I've seen you do (from one video). That being said, if you are actually trolling here, quit. You're not getting many bites.

mc_runner
09-13-2016, 10:26 AM
One other note on the coaching as well, before actually coaching anyone - much less charging for coaching - to Bill's and Tim's points, having a couple of good games or series does NOT make one a good coach. What do you know about working on individuals' styles? Are you going to be able to help a one-hander who bowls straight and doesn't want to go to 2 hands? How about a kid who's just picking up the game and needs basic advice without getting frustrated? What would you teach them? I'm at a 212 sanctioned average, and wouldn't dream of giving much less charging for lessons because I don't have the "teaching" background and what works for me DOES NOT work for everyone. Nor do I have the background of what someone "should" do first, how to work with their level of experience, etc.

In my opinion offering, and especially charging for lessons RIGHT NOW is a slap in the face to coaches who have put in the time, money, and effort to go through the certification program. However, there are a lot of great resources out there that would allow you to go through and become a coach with the proper education and knowledge that will come with those programs. Visit the USBC site and find out about coaching clinics - even a couple people on this site have done them with no prior coaching experience. You have to put in that effort first to have any type of perception of being competent. Without that, you're giving coaches a bad name and bad reputation, and hurting the game... doing exactly the opposite of what you'd intend. Good luck.

1VegasBowler
09-13-2016, 01:50 PM

Hustling people for money makes you a disgrace to the bowling community!

JaxBowlingGuy
09-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Hustling people for money makes you a disgrace to the bowling community!

Nothing wrong with bowling people for money.

mc_runner
09-13-2016, 04:11 PM

Agreed... action bowling is part of the game. If someone wants to put money on the line so be it!

JaxBowlingGuy
09-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Agreed... action bowling is part of the game. If someone wants to put money on the line so be it!

If it wasn't for money I'd probably not bowl nearly as much as I do lol

LOUVIT
09-13-2016, 05:36 PM
40 years ago I didn't pick up a ball unless it was for money, I didn't even bowl on dates...lol. as far as watching, I went this Sunday with my son and grandson and the guy next to me was amazing. The revs on his ball were unreal, he shot 285 his first game. I went and shook his hand and then he looked up to the score. He was with a friend and just BS'ing the whole time, seemed he wasn't even paying attention. All his strikes were buried no light or Brooklyn hits.

Tony
09-13-2016, 09:51 PM

I took the comment as reacting to the OP hustling people for rugby like bowling LESSONS, not bowling for money, we know that goes way back and is perfectly acceptable.

1VegasBowler
09-13-2016, 10:00 PM
I took the comment as reacting to the OP hustling people for rugby like bowling LESSONS, not bowling for money, we know that goes way back and is perfectly acceptable.

That is exactly correct.

JaxBowlingGuy
09-13-2016, 10:18 PM
After reading his post again see that. I just read hustle people at cosmic bowling lol

1VegasBowler
09-13-2016, 10:31 PM
After reading his post again see that. I just read hustle people at cosmic bowling lol

Someday, hopefully soon, he'll get hustled on the lanes and wipe his bank account clean.

As far as his "coaching career" goes, I don't see it. He's too much into preaching his own style. And from his previous posts throughout, I can actually see him trying to hustle people on lessons.

Timmyb
09-13-2016, 11:24 PM

Hell no! I took $25 of other people's money tonight in brackets. Didn't bother me in the least!

stargell1
09-14-2016, 11:00 PM
40 years ago I didn't pick up a ball unless it was for money, I didn't even bowl on dates...lol. as far as watching, I went this Sunday with my son and grandson and the guy next to me was amazing. The revs on his ball were unreal, he shot 285 his first game. I went and shook his hand and then he looked up to the score. He was with a friend and just BS'ing the whole time, seemed he wasn't even paying attention. All his strikes were buried no light or Brooklyn hits.

Lol.

JaxBowlingGuy
09-14-2016, 11:42 PM
Hell no! I took $25 of other people's money tonight in brackets. Didn't bother me in the least!

Cleared $250 tonight myself in brackets and side pots lol