PDA

View Full Version : What happened to ASLAN

Tony
09-25-2016, 11:41 AM
Back in spring before the summer break when I didn't bowl or visit the web site much, He used to post often, now don't see anything ?

got_a_300
09-25-2016, 05:59 PM
Aslan is still around unless he got lost in his closet with all of
those bowling balls and the balls kidnapped him. LOL!!!!!

JaxBowlingGuy
09-25-2016, 06:05 PM
He just posted his scores the other day

Tony
09-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Maybe he moved to Iowa or Idaho and only has internet access an hour a day or something .......

classygranny
09-25-2016, 10:55 PM
Maybe he found a female and is distracted from bowling and bowling forums :)

Amyers
09-26-2016, 10:01 AM
His posts are down from before but he is still posting some. I think it has to do with a few things mostly that he was considering moving so he didn't want to join new leagues when he may have to leave. He's been subbing so his overall bowling is probably less. As a frequent poster on here I can say at times I get fed up with my game personally and just don't feel like talking about it which can lead to less posts for me personally. Not that is his situation. we had a long conversation about his arsenal last week.

Amyers
09-26-2016, 10:02 AM

I doubt it especially not over the long term. lol

Tony
09-26-2016, 10:35 AM

I am guessing if she didn't bowl it might be trouble, seems to be a shortage of women that don't mind if their guy is gone bowling most nights and needs a bedroom dedicated to bowling ball storage ! lol

Amyers
09-26-2016, 10:56 AM
I am guessing if she didn't bowl it might be trouble, seems to be a shortage of women that don't mind if their guy is gone bowling most nights and needs a bedroom dedicated to bowling ball storage ! lol

Why do I feel like it's only downhill from here on this post about Aslan

Tony
09-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Why do I feel like it's only downhill from here on this post about Aslan

Correct, he had been such a prolific poster, I was just curious if he was still around, I certainly can understand disappearing from the site for a time as I will typically do in the summer break.
I'm sure he will be back whenever he's ready.

JaxBowlingGuy
09-26-2016, 12:13 PM
I was gone for like 4-5 years from posting lol still deleted spam from time to time when I got the emails of reported posts though.

Amyers
09-26-2016, 12:24 PM
I was gone for like 4-5 years from posting lol still deleted spam from time to time when I got the emails of reported posts though.

I've been on here for 2 1/2 years but at times I've just gotten burned out usually it goes along with my personal bowling. When I go into long slumps I tend to post less I'm sure everyone hits those points where your just sick of even thinking about the game. I usually don't want to put my negative thoughts onto others so I tend to post less during those times. I don't ever completely leave but instead of a 2-3 times a day thing it goes to a once twice a week thing.

Most of the time it makes me happy to be able to pass along knowledge about things I know and to learn from some of the others here who know more than I do. A lot of the regulars on here even though I don't know them personally I like to think of as friends.

JaxBowlingGuy
09-26-2016, 12:35 PM
That's always been one thing about this page vs some others is that it's more of a "friendly" group. In the early days we had a meet and greet at one of the centers in central FL and the owner at the time covered most of the expenses. I know I have met a few members from here at tournaments in the Orlando area when I used to go down monthly to bowl. I have tried getting people to link up down there since I have been back with no success though :-(

Amyers
09-26-2016, 12:44 PM
That's always been one thing about this page vs some others is that it's more of a "friendly" group. In the early days we had a meet and greet at one of the centers in central FL and the owner at the time covered most of the expenses. I know I have met a few members from here at tournaments in the Orlando area when I used to go down monthly to bowl. I have tried getting people to link up down there since I have been back with no success though :-(

Same here on getting others to join. Sad thing is when I bring one of the balls in that I've won from this site they all ask about it but I never see any of them on here. The vibe of this site is way different from any of the others I'm a member on and I rarely post on those sites. A lot more negativity and much less toleration of newbies on the other sites compared to this one. This site is a lot more freeform than the others also which seem to all have some ethos they are trying to get across.

Aslan
04-09-2017, 05:10 PM
A thread about me?

And I missed it?

Shame on me.

My disappearance is probably most what Amyers guessed. Amyers used to post quite a bit...then started to just post his scores. I posted a great deal...still tend to drop a huge, multi-faceted thread in from time to time...but generally I just post in my scores thread.

Reasons:
1) I lost my sparring partners
Iceman and I used to go at it quite a bit...then he got butt hurt over the combination of not being able to get people to fly to Kansas to bowl in a barn, not believing in magical elixers, and doubting alien abduction stories. MWhite and I used to go at it...but he was banned for becoming a stalker....or something like that. I used to spar with RobM from time to time...but I would characterize Rob as "mild-mannered" and "debate-averse"...which are fancy ways of saying he doesn't really enjoy "debates".

2) Many people complained early on that I was "dominanting" the forum...especially when it was Iceman and I...posting 45 times a day.
While there are also many that enjoy my posts and find my threads interesting...I guess I thought it was time for some "new blood" to steer the conversations.

3) My bowling is at a crucial stage.
When I was just starting out, just starting to take lessons, etc...; I was anxious to talk about bowling as much as possible...anxious to learn about the sport, techniques, technology, etc... My average steadily improved from the high 160s to the high 170s. Recently, my game has gotten to a 'higher level' in the 180-200 range and I'm now one of the better bowlers in the leagues I participate in. This has required a great deal more focus...so I am now more focused on my actual 'game'....than 'talking about my game'. There's also a lot less "questions" now. Many of my bowling questions have been answered and, while I am far from an 'expert'...there's a limit to what more I can learn in the forums. Since RobM has somewhat disappeared, the forum has lost it's 'technical expert'...and the technology side of the game is really the only side that I still struggle to fully grasp.

4) I am 'temporarily retired'.
The difference between 'retired' and 'temporarily retired' is that I have devoted a great deal of time since 8/2016 trying to find a job, in my field, in the Midwest. Three weeks ago I did 4 phone interviews, two weeks ago 2 interviews, last week 2 interviews...etc... The job search has taken up almost as much time as having a job used to take up.

5) Temporary Retirement has led to new challenges.
When I resigned my position in August, I decided to focus my free time on writing and comedy (and bowling). I figured I wasn't going to waste this 'opportunity' and just sit around, smoke pot, and play video games. So, I picked up some of my writing projects and started doing stand-up comedy. So, when I'm not bowling and not looking for a 'real job'...I've been doing stand-up once a week, done a couple podcasts, have written 3 tv episodes for a series I'm working on, and have worked on 4 book projects.

But...I am not gone...God willing and the creek don't rise. I still post my scores in my scores thread...religiously...and try to poke my head into some of the discussions from time to time.

Amyers
04-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Nice to see it only took you 7 months to catch up to this thread. LOL

Aslan
04-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Nice to see it only took you 7 months to catch up to this thread. LOL

Exactly.

How'd you guys sneak this in without me seeing it? Conspiracy? I dunno. But if Iceman were here...he'd probably agree with me, that it seems fishy and there possibly is alien involvement.

MICHAEL
04-11-2017, 12:29 AM
Don't think for a minute that Aliens are not here, and bowling many times in a lane right next to YOU! I have friends that work for the Post Office, and they concur! They have been here for over 5.3 million years. Bowling is one of their main recreational activities, besides drinking beer, and chasing earth women! (maybe the reason Aslan finds such a shortage of women in his quest!) Aslan, are you moving to the Midwest? You do know that the Garden of Eden was located in my state! Hey, don't take my word for it, ask any Mormon!! I actually think I know where its at! Remember that 6 lane all wood bowling alley that the farm boys own!!!!

Tony
04-11-2017, 01:41 AM
Exactly.

How'd you guys sneak this in without me seeing it? Conspiracy? I dunno. But if Iceman were here...he'd probably agree with me, that it seems fishy and there possibly is alien involvement.

Iceman was here, and he didn't agree with you. You knew he wouldn't, he rarely does. No doubt he will assert aliens are part of the reason you overlooked this thread, and who can argue with that logic.

Tony
04-11-2017, 01:52 AM
Don't think for a minute that Aliens are not here, and bowling many times in a lane right next to YOU! I have friends that work for the Post Office, and they concur! They have been here for over 5.3 million years. Bowling is one of their main recreational activities, besides drinking beer, and chasing earth women! (maybe the reason Aslan finds such a shortage of women in his quest!) Aslan, are you moving to the Midwest? You do know that the Garden of Eden was located in my state! Hey, don't take my word for it, ask any Mormon!! I actually think I know where its at! Remember that 6 lane all wood bowling alley that the farm boys own!!!!

http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/gardenofeden.htm

I'm not sure, but somewhere in one of those reference books, they say something about the scrap wood leftover from building the ARK was used to build 6 bowling lanes somewhere nearby .........

MICHAEL
04-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Tony, Its actually in Plattsburg Missouri! When you walk into that 6 lane alley, you get the sense, and smell of God! Its hard to put into words, but it hits you and changes your life for ever! I really think that if I had not bowled two winters at those sacred lanes, I would not have rolled those back to back 300 games. Bowling at those lanes, just a few miles from the Heart of the original Garden of Eden, is life changing bowling event. One of the reasons I wanted to have that Surfers vs Bikers event there, was I really thought it would be a good thing for all those Godless Surfer Types like Aslan! Aslan just needs one thing, and it came to me in a vision not long after I "almost rolled a 300 on The Sacred Wood Lanes of Plattsburg Missouri last year. 276! There has never been in the history of those sacred lanes a league 300! God will not allow it because of what happened with Eve! Sure 300, and even 900 on other Godless lanes happen daily, but not on HIS LANES! I am thankful and were it not for the distance, would still be bowing there myself. Its about 35 miles from my house. The two great guys that are running the place are looking for someone else to take it over! They actually ask me! That's a long story, but in a nut shell it would cost me 300 a month to rent the place, and I would only be responsible for the utilities and keeping it in working order. The two curreint guys running the place are 81, "Chris", and "Lee", 88! ITs getting to be too much for them! The lanes are actually owned by a long time Plattsburg guy that owns half of the town. He doesn't even care about the sacred wood lanes, but does give Chris and Lee a good deal on the rent. HE WILL NOT SELL the lanes, but does rent it out for 300 bucks a month. So Lee, and Chris only pay 150.00 a month plus all expenses in regards to running it. It does have a newer reconditioned oil machine, and they have kept up with all the reconditioning of the lanes as required by the ABA! It's tempting to take it over, but I would have to move, and then get some training on how to do minor repairs on the Brunswick older equipment... GREAT IDEA! Aslan: HOW about you and Rob taking over the rent, and keeping this holy place going till the End Time?
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00437_zps599fd44a.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00437_zps599fd44a.jpg.html)

Tony
04-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Seems like if you, or anyone else takes it over, that it might be a wise idea to install automatic scoring ! Maybe it's the lack of addition skills that's prevented a 300 from being bowled there.

MICHAEL
04-11-2017, 10:49 AM
No some Damn good bowlers that bowl there! Everyone has a 10 to 20 pin or lower average at these well kept conditioned wood lanes! Wood is wood,,,, synthetic are synthetic! Real men bowl the wood. You want a challenge,,,, come on out Tony,,,, I will meet you there! Even have a fresh oil pattern placed on our lanes! Some of those farm boys have 200 plus averages on the synthetic lanes! What might be the clue to doing better on the wood might just be a urethane ball. (hum,, never thought of that, or maybe I did but forgot) LOL

MICHAEL
04-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Seems like if you, or anyone else takes it over, that it might be a wise idea to install automatic scoring ! Maybe it's the lack of addition skills that's prevented a 300 from being bowled there.

Tony,,,, Tony,,, its old school! That's all part of the nostalgia! HELLO!! LOL. I would not change a thing!!! NOTHING! I am hoping Aslan, and Bob take it over, I might even go in to a 3 way partnership..... Lets see 300 divined by 3 equals 100 bucks a month, plus utilites! Not bad for running your own bowling lanes, in the garden of Eden! I think Aslan could open up a Dating service on the side to supplement his income! Bob could give coaching lessons! What does Vegas, and California have that Plattsburg doesn't??? I can see a new name for the lanes.... "The 3 Amigo's Sacred Eden Lanes"

Aslan
04-11-2017, 05:19 PM
I have no problems with the old school scoring...I wish automatic scoring would go away so people would actually learn how to score.

BUT...in order for wood lanes to be viable, equipment manufacturers need to change their marketing...which they will never do. The equipment nowadays is meant for slick, synthetic, heavy-oil lanes...which don't actually exist virtually anywhere outside of the rare sport shot league. So, you end up struggling, as MWhite did when I defeated him in the "Aslan vs. MWhite Scratch Game Bowling Challenge". If you have any revs...you can't find equipment that is weak enough to compete. You end up trying to throw urethane and very weak, entry-level equipment...and you can find the pocket...but it won't carry consistently.

If I was an "investor" in those lanes...I'd put in synthetics and make it a "sport shot house". I bet it could pull in top-level talent from the surrounding areas...enough to at least keep the doors open and the lights on...by offering something that many of the houses in the area won't offer...a sanctioned sport shot. You could do a "WTBA Wednesday League", a "PBA Animal Pattern Tuesday League", etc...

But for this center to be "viable"...it has to be:

1) Sanctioned.

2) Synthetic Lanes.

In that order. I'd bowl on wood lanes...I'd have to find weak balls to make it doable...but I'd consider it. I've bowled on wood lanes before. But I won't bowl in a non-sanctioned house out of respect for the USBC and the sport. And while I'm almost as "old school" as Iceman...wood lanes are a relic of the past...and all they do these days is present problems...because technology (bowling balls) has passed them by.

Tony
04-11-2017, 11:01 PM
No some Damn good bowlers that bowl there! Everyone has a 10 to 20 pin or lower average at these well kept conditioned wood lanes! Wood is wood,,,, synthetic are synthetic! Real men bowl the wood. You want a challenge,,,, come on out Tony,,,, I will meet you there! Even have a fresh oil pattern placed on our lanes! Some of those farm boys have 200 plus averages on the synthetic lanes! What might be the clue to doing better on the wood might just be a urethane ball. (hum,, never thought of that, or maybe I did but forgot) LOL

I bowled on wood for years, until all the wood lanes around here were replaced, that was a while ago. I would need a Burgundy hammer, hands down the top scoring ball back on the wood lanes around me.

Tony
04-11-2017, 11:11 PM
Tony,,,, Tony,,, its old school! That's all part of the nostalgia! HELLO!! LOL. I would not change a thing!!! NOTHING! I am hoping Aslan, and Bob take it over, I might even go in to a 3 way partnership..... Lets see 300 divined by 3 equals 100 bucks a month, plus utilites! Not bad for running your own bowling lanes, in the garden of Eden! I think Aslan could open up a Dating service on the side to supplement his income! Bob could give coaching lessons! What does Vegas, and California have that Plattsburg doesn't??? I can see a new name for the lanes.... "The 3 Amigo's Sacred Eden Lanes"

Old school is not everything, I don't want a car I have to hand crank to start, I have an extensive CD collection and some great audio equipment but no records or even a turntable.....so you see where I stand on "old school" ........I think you might have entered a dream state, getting those guys to go into the bowling alley / dating business.....I think the women will get suspicious when every date is with Aslan ! What time do they come around with your meds, stop hiding them and spitting them out, they have you on them for a reason, being in a delusional state is not healthy ! :cool:

Tony
04-11-2017, 11:22 PM
I have no problems with the old school scoring...I wish automatic scoring would go away so people would actually learn how to score.

BUT...in order for wood lanes to be viable, equipment manufacturers need to change their marketing...which they will never do. The equipment nowadays is meant for slick, synthetic, heavy-oil lanes...which don't actually exist virtually anywhere outside of the rare sport shot league. So, you end up struggling, as MWhite did when I defeated him in the "Aslan vs. MWhite Scratch Game Bowling Challenge". If you have any revs...you can't find equipment that is weak enough to compete. You end up trying to throw urethane and very weak, entry-level equipment...and you can find the pocket...but it won't carry consistently.

If I was an "investor" in those lanes...I'd put in synthetics and make it a "sport shot house". I bet it could pull in top-level talent from the surrounding areas...enough to at least keep the doors open and the lights on...by offering something that many of the houses in the area won't offer...a sanctioned sport shot. You could do a "WTBA Wednesday League", a "PBA Animal Pattern Tuesday League", etc...

But for this center to be "viable"...it has to be:

1) Sanctioned.

2) Synthetic Lanes.

In that order. I'd bowl on wood lanes...I'd have to find weak balls to make it doable...but I'd consider it. I've bowled on wood lanes before. But I won't bowl in a non-sanctioned house out of respect for the USBC and the sport. And while I'm almost as "old school" as Iceman...wood lanes are a relic of the past...and all they do these days is present problems...because technology (bowling balls) has passed them by.

You might have a shot, with a metro area population of 2 million, the support of a high end competitive bowling center is possible, but as you suggest, the wood would have to go, and probably the old scoring system, it would become a reason for the younger super star players to avoid the place......I'm amazed at how many of those 'kids" can't figure the score without the computer scoring. Of course you could try it and see what happens, congratulations on your impending move to Missouri ! Perhaps Ice can find you a good deal on a clean trailer rental !

Aslan
04-12-2017, 03:15 PM
I bowled on wood for years, until all the wood lanes around here were replaced, that was a while ago. I would need a Burgundy hammer, hands down the top scoring ball back on the wood lanes around me.

Back when the wood lanes were in place, there were a ton of Brunswick Slingshots, Storm Tropical Breezes, and Ebonite Cyclones. When Hammer re-released their Burgandy Hammer...that was a big hit as well. Also, a lot of older 90s releases. Once in awhile someone would show up with a Storm Sync or something like that...and they'd be 'quite upset' and curse the lane conditions.

got_a_300
04-12-2017, 06:33 PM
I would 10 times rather bowl on wood lanes than the
synthetic lanes we have now days.

I wish I could do it I'd be more than happy to take
over the bowling alley for $300.00 a month that is
a steal of a deal.

I would have to make the move over there to Mo.
which is just not feasible at the moment but would
do it in a minute if I could.

MICHAEL
04-13-2017, 11:59 AM
They ask me if I wanted to partnership with them, but its a 35 mile drive, and I would have to be there to be the mechanic when the machines jam up, or need pins set!
ITs a lot of work, when your bowling as the current Renters do, bowling on a league and going back and forth doing fixes,, on the pin setting machines,,, some night it might be several trips. The two that rent it now Chris, and Lee, are getting up there in age!! This alley is not for profit, that's how they run it. To pay expenses, oil, and maintained. Not sure it would make it if someone wanted to make a huge profit off of it. Example: most leagues are at most 8 bucks, and believe it or not they have a small prize check at the end of the season, minus expenses. Everyone brings their own drinks, beer, mixed drinks,,, etc. Many times a farm boy will bring in a huge butchered 1/4 hog smoked, to share with fellow bowlers. It's a unique place! The owner has it for an investment, likes that the community enjoys it! The owner doesn't even like bowling, nor does he bowl at his alley.
It is well maintained and sanded when its supposed be I believe every few years.
Its a great deal, but not a money maker, but think of all the fun it would be running your own bowling lanes! It has leagues Monday thr Friday, no open bowling at this time except on Fri/Sat,,, 6 to 9pm or when ever the last bowlers leave.

MICHAEL
04-13-2017, 12:08 PM
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00444_zps604050f5.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00444_zps604050f5.jpg.html)

Tony
04-19-2017, 08:40 AM
They ask me if I wanted to partnership with them, but its a 35 mile drive, and I would have to be there to be the mechanic when the machines jam up, or need pins set!
ITs a lot of work, when your bowling as the current Renters do, bowling on a league and going back and forth doing fixes,, on the pin setting machines,,, some night it might be several trips. The two that rent it now Chris, and Lee, are getting up there in age!! This alley is not for profit, that's how they run it. To pay expenses, oil, and maintained. Not sure it would make it if someone wanted to make a huge profit off of it. Example: most leagues are at most 8 bucks, and believe it or not they have a small prize check at the end of the season, minus expenses. Everyone brings their own drinks, beer, mixed drinks,,, etc. Many times a farm boy will bring in a huge butchered 1/4 hog smoked, to share with fellow bowlers. It's a unique place! The owner has it for an investment, likes that the community enjoys it! The owner doesn't even like bowling, nor does he bowl at his alley.
It is well maintained and sanded when its supposed be I believe every few years.
Its a great deal, but not a money maker, but think of all the fun it would be running your own bowling lanes! It has leagues Monday thr Friday, no open bowling at this time except on Fri/Sat,,, 6 to 9pm or when ever the last bowlers leave.

I would think with your love of the lanes that you would want to be there for Fri / Sat league night anyway, you could put a cot in the office so you can take a nap if the 5 to 10 pm shift gets a little overwhelming, getting their an hour early to oil and staying an hour lane to clean up should be enough time. Think of all the practice time you would have available, you , Aslan, Rob, and the farm boys can have a King Of The Hill Tournament every Sunday after church !

Tony
04-19-2017, 08:54 AM
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/imagine686868/DSC00444_zps604050f5.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00444_zps604050f5.jpg.html)

Maybe with the proximity to the Missouri "Garden o Eden" you can get it declared a historical landmark, then you can put a couple of extra water spigots into the hall by the bathroom and you can let people fill a mason jar full of " Holy Water" for a buck, that would add a new revenue stream !

MICHAEL
04-24-2017, 05:57 PM
The original Lanes where Adam and Eve bowled!! Might change the name form Plattsburg Bowl, to "The Forbidden Ten Pin"...... LOL