PDA

View Full Version : Drinking while bowling, how does it effect your game ?

Tony
09-27-2016, 05:20 PM
Sometimes I have a drink or two while bowling and sometimes not, it seems like a drink or two might actually help my game by keeping me a little more loose, certainly too many drinks doesn't not help my game.

What are your observations on drinking while bowling ?

JaxBowlingGuy
09-27-2016, 05:26 PM
Personally I'm a beer guy, I'll have one before we start since I get there early and usually around 1 a game which really only breaks down to like 1 an hour. With or without isn't really a deal breaker either way, but seems to just knock the edge off

2handedsniper
09-27-2016, 05:47 PM
having a good dinner helps my score

zacks
09-27-2016, 06:20 PM
I usually have a few beers per night. It really just depends on how I'm feeling but I always have at least a couple. Just enough to take the edge off and keep it off for 3 games. If the pins start to get blurry I know I better stop. Some people in my leagues don't drink at all, others get tanked every night. Some of the guys that get tanked every night are really good bowlers. One night I remember one of the better bowlers in the house was on lanes 1-2 and had awful first and second games, so naturally he starts taking shots with his teammate then proceeds to bowl a 300. I don't even think he shot a 600 series.

baker
09-27-2016, 06:30 PM
I bowl better after a few drinks. Between 2-6 drinks a night I probably bowl my best, I tend to just focus on one or two things and don't let any other thoughts creep into my head. It's not ideal since a lot of tournaments start in the morning, but that's what bloody mary's are for.

This year at nationals having a few beers definitely helped loosen me up. After a so-so set in doubles (and about 4 beers) I was able to not over think everything and just focus on one release key and hitting my target. Shot just over 700 and got a nice pay check from it.

AlexNC
09-27-2016, 09:10 PM
I could go either way. From the standpoint of my physical game I probably don't bowl as well after a few drinks, but on the other hand I am less likely to overthink things.

Jaescrub
09-27-2016, 09:20 PM
If I'm bowling with the wife I don't drink she not a drinker, but with the guys we drink some beers Hi point craft beer. We don't get drunk or even buzzed I feel like I bowl the same with or with out. But I love beer in fact if any of you wanted to FedX me you best local only beer I would not fight ya over it. I have over 900 different beers long on Untappd app.

billf
09-27-2016, 09:29 PM
I drink tequila when I do drink. I've had three double shots this calendar year. I use to drink pretty heavy when I was in the service.

Our house record was broken about two weeks ago. One of the better bowlers and ex-employee came in to drink after work and ended up subbing. Shot 856 and passed out an hour later. At least he averages over 230. Saw a 168 average guy throw a 300 and could barely stand. Only time anyone has seen him consistently hit his mark. Just goes to show how much is mental.

foreverincamo
09-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Guys on my team pound beer all night. I have a Cherry Pepsi at the beginning of game two. Alcohol affects my vision quickly so I stay away when bowling.

mc_runner
09-28-2016, 08:16 AM
Usually a couple, but no more than that. Definitely no more than 1/game. There's a fine line between taking the edge off/loosening up and then being too loose or getting affected negatively.

collinwho
09-28-2016, 10:01 AM
I used to drink 1 beer per game. Then a couple of years ago I cut down to 1 beer per night. Now I basically don't drink at all anymore. I haven't really noticed a big difference in my bowling, but I am a lot healthier, now.

fordman1
09-28-2016, 10:57 AM
I have not had more than 1-2 drinks a year in the last 15 years. I used to drink a lot of beer while bowling. The Dr. said it was time to stop so I did.

It could be that the DUI laws have hurt bowling quite a bit. You now have much stricter laws and Mothers against Drunk Driving monitoring courts.
Remember the old days when the bar would be full after bowling with teams talking about what went good and what didn't, NOT ANY MORE.
Not drinking didn't make much of a difference if you factor in age. I had better scores and avg. when drinking but was also younger.

Tony
09-28-2016, 11:34 AM
I usually have a few beers per night. It really just depends on how I'm feeling but I always have at least a couple. Just enough to take the edge off and keep it off for 3 games. If the pins start to get blurry I know I better stop. Some people in my leagues don't drink at all, others get tanked every night. Some of the guys that get tanked every night are really good bowlers. One night I remember one of the better bowlers in the house was on lanes 1-2 and had awful first and second games, so naturally he starts taking shots with his teammate then proceeds to bowl a 300. I don't even think he shot a 600 series.

Wait, the pins aren't supposed to be blurry !!!
I used to bowl with a guy who would decide he needed a couple of shots when he was bowling poorly, he used to say I need to see the Nurse and get a shot ! It often helped his bowling, I assume mentally he thought it would, and so it did.

zacks
09-28-2016, 12:08 PM
Wait, the pins aren't supposed to be blurry !!!
I used to bowl with a guy who would decide he needed a couple of shots when he was bowling poorly, he used to say I need to see the Nurse and get a shot ! It often helped his bowling, I assume mentally he thought it would, and so it did.

Haha. I'm usually good about pacing myself, plus I usually drive so I behave when that's the case. I had a bad start to our sweeper in one of my leagues last season so I took advantage of that and yes the pins were blurry at the end of the night. Had to take Uber home and come back in the morning to pick up my car, but had a fun night even though I bowled awful.

dmet225
09-28-2016, 12:36 PM
I've had 3-300 games. The first 2 were my third game of the night after drinking beer during the first 2 games of the night.

I've had a 298, which was my 2nd game of the night, and I'm convinced that it was because I wasn't relaxed enough due to lack of beer.

I overcame that thought when my 3rd 300 was in my 2nd game back in June.

I limit myself, though, because I'm conscious of the drive home.

fokai73
09-28-2016, 01:29 PM
I don't drink beer!!!!! instead I drink Bourbon - woodford reserve lol

here's my story.... when I was at the stadium for a two day tourney. I struggled to shoot 600 series the first 4 squads. I was tense and my body and mind were not aligned. I also delt with elevation sickness as well. Normally I arrive a day or two early just to get my body used to it, or I pop a pill. Well, I had no pill.........

The morning squad in day two was horrible 490 something!!!! I wanted to go home and not finish the last two squads......

Then my friend passed me a mary jane, a Maui wowee, a blunt....actually it was a roach..... guess what? I shot in the 1340's the last two squads..

Goose
09-28-2016, 02:00 PM
I like Killians with a shot of tequila in it and they don't serve that at my alleys, so I have to wait to get home, probably better I don't drink and bowl or else may be throwing it down your lane.

Jconner91
09-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Usually I split a pitcher of Yuengling with my wife or a buddy on my mens league team. Doesn't really effect me much but it sure does taste great lol

Sche3067
09-28-2016, 11:54 PM
I'll have one beer but maybe I should drink more. It tends to loosen me up which is great for a free flowing swing.

manke
09-29-2016, 09:51 AM
I have a couple but try not to get out of hand.

got_a_300
09-29-2016, 11:31 AM
I don't personally drink anymore but I do know a few bowlers
that bowl better after having a few beers.

One guy I know that used to be a PBA member he bowls better
the drunker he gets so the better he bowls. I've seen a few guys
come in wanting to bowl him for money that didn't know about
him bowling better drunk so they kept buying him beers thinking
they would take his money when he got drunk boy did they get
fooled. LOL!!!!!!

Hammer
09-29-2016, 10:04 PM
When I drink my game goes down hill. I do way better sober.

dmet225
10-04-2016, 05:11 PM
Last Friday, I had games of 234 and 233. In the 3rd game, I had the first 5 strikes, and the lane broke down. Guy from the counter says that it will take 10 minutes to repair. Since he knows me, he said that he knew I wouldn't want to switch lanes. I agreed - JUST IN CASE. The 10 minutes turned into about 30 minutes. My beer had started to wear off, and the swelling in my hand took over. I continued to get the next 4 strikes. I got up in the 10th, got nervous, and the ball fell off my hand (I was using a portable fan to help with the sweating and swelling). Left the 1-2-8. Spared and struck for a 277 and 744 series. I went home and had a few more beers!

Mike White
10-04-2016, 10:02 PM
Drinking and bowling leads to this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNuCSvNCerU

1VegasBowler
10-05-2016, 01:00 AM
O'Douls is as strong as it gets for me. I stick to water and/or Gatoraid.

dmet225
10-05-2016, 01:42 PM
I watch Mike Wurme's videos all the time. They seem to have a lot of fun.

Edited to add that this was in response to the video posted above of the drunk guy.

zacks
10-05-2016, 04:04 PM
I watch Mike Wurme's videos all the time. They seem to have a lot of fun.

Edited to add that this was in response to the video posted above of the drunk guy.

I watched this video last night and found myself watching Mike Wurme videos for over an hour. Those guys are hilarious. If those guys were in my center, they would get more than just some weird looks.

Jaescrub
10-05-2016, 08:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNuCSvNCerU
I don't think so! That would not fly with me I'm not a fan of anyone getting in my face.

2handedsniper
11-05-2016, 01:25 AM
i drank and bowled 203, high game of season so far

Timmyb
11-05-2016, 09:36 AM
I don't think so! That would not fly with me I'm not a fan of anyone getting in my face.

This is not going to be the most "PC" reaction to this video.

First things first, he'd be bleeding from the head butt I'd have given him to the bridge of his nose, if he were in my face like that. It's either that, or he'd be limping because I "accidentally" dropped my bowling ball. I like to have just as much fun bowling as the next guy, but this a**hole was out of line. Scary thing is, it's not on him. If the alley actually allows this behavior, then they should be paying the price by people leaving to go elsewhere. The manager should have one, and only one, conversation with this neanderthal about his behavior. He does it again, he's got a lifetime ban. I know that seems extreme, but think of it this way. If you've got a 5-man league with sixteen teams, that leaves 79 other guys who have to deal with this douche nozzle. Would you rather lose 1 guys business, or 79?

I'm also very upset that this guy is also an NHRA fan. Guys like this give a black eye to whatever sport they back.

chrono00
11-05-2016, 11:03 AM
i drank and bowled 203, high game of season so far

Time for that pba card

foreverincamo
11-05-2016, 03:26 PM
My eyes are affected quickly. Can't focus. Guys on my team pound beers all three games and no effect. I'll stick with Pepsi.

Turkey Track Hammer
11-12-2016, 09:00 AM
I usually have one Very stiff drink before I start. Then one beer per game.

Timmyb
11-12-2016, 11:20 AM
I usually start bowling with a glass of seltzer. Then one beer per game in the second and third. Strangely, I have a tendency to bowl better the last two games......

Jaescrub
11-13-2016, 04:51 PM
I usually start bowling with a glass of seltzer. Then one beer per game in the second and third. Strangely, I have a tendency to bowl better the last two games......
Skip that seltzer that might be what's mucking up your first game ha ha.

Hammer
11-13-2016, 06:55 PM
I know that I drank too much when I start to see 20 pins instead of ten. But then the game seems easier because out of the 20 pins I know that I only need to knock down 10 of them so my chances of getting ten are better. LOL.