PDA

View Full Version : Cant Hook Yet.

Hawk
09-27-2016, 09:33 PM
Hello, I have a question would it be wise to go get my first ball drilled even though, I cant throw a hook yet. The balls at my local lanes do not fit properly and the few reactive balls they do have are a worse fit then the plastic ones would I look lame going to get it drill already.

billf
09-27-2016, 09:38 PM
In my opinion, get it done. A properly fitted ball will help in learning all the fundamentals. Comfort is huge in this sport. Definitely get a fingertip grip as that aides in being able to throw a proper hook. Don't squeeze the ball and just let it roll off your finger tips.

panbanger
09-28-2016, 12:09 AM
Yes, get a fingertip grip drilled. After a few games you'll love it and never look back!

fordman1
09-28-2016, 11:04 AM
Might help if we knew if you were 12 or 62? Do you have any handicaps?
Now if you plan on bowling for a while get a new ball. The Pro shop will help with weight and grip. Shoes and bag might be needed also.
Now don't worry about the ball hooking that will come when you learn how to grip and throw the ball. Practice is when it all comes together.

Hawk
09-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Hello' I'm 46 and I guess you mean my score. my handicap is never no lower then 140 between 140 -160 is my highest to date. This is where I'm gonna get kicked around, I bought a Hammer rebel, thought that would be best to get a mid performance ball, did I make a boo boo.. I can take a bit of criticism just a bit though!

Amyers
09-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Hello' I'm 46 and I guess you mean my score. my handicap is never no lower then 140 between 140 -160 is my highest to date. This is where I'm gonna get kicked around, I bought a Hammer rebel, thought that would be best to get a mid performance ball, did I make a boo boo.. I can take a bit of criticism just a bit though!

Nothing wrong with the Hammer Rebel. Should be a good choice for THS patterns. My daughters favorite ball was the Arson High Flare Pearl which has a lot of the same characteristics. The Rebel has a little stronger cover.

fordman1
09-28-2016, 02:09 PM
No actually Hawk I wanted to know if you had any thing wrong with you. You profile says absolutely nothing. Just wanted to know if you had both legs and arms. Maybe you were blind and only imagined your bowl wasn't hooking. People always come on sites and ask questions and get long detailed answers then you find out they are 89 or 9 years old.

Hawk
09-28-2016, 03:01 PM
Nah,I'm as boring as they come, a little crazy but in Today's world aren't we all.

ytlas
09-28-2016, 04:06 PM
Anyway, since it's been pointed out that you have your own custom fit ball, and physically able to find the bowling center and bowl, it's just a matter of getting games under your belt and if you still can't hook the ball, consider getting some instruction

Blomer
09-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Yes, get a finger tip drilled ball. Being your first ball, don't go to wild and get a high price ball. These balls are made to hook. After practicing, you will learn what you will need to do to hit your mark and hit the pocket. Good luck and keep rolling!

Hot_pocket
09-29-2016, 04:11 AM
you made a good choice. People who normally have a ball with no fingertip grips hook the ball too much, so they opt-out of the grips for less hook. You should be fine and When you're ready to learn, check out the forums and youtube. The USBC website also has some practice tips. Just make sure you focus on one thing at a time.

Hammer
09-30-2016, 09:35 AM
The hardest thing to get right to make the ball hook is to keep your hand behind the ball until your thumb comes out and then your fingers rotate an inch or two and come out last. Don't squeeze the ball tightly with your thumb either. Your thumb should stay flat inside the thumbhole and hold on lightly. You have to do this so the thumb comes out quickly at the release. A fingertip ball with finger grips is a good idea also. Good luck.

LOUVIT
09-30-2016, 05:23 PM
check out youtube on how to hook a ball and yes you really need a fingertip...My .02

larry mc
10-02-2016, 09:43 PM
good ball , as has been said get it finger tip drilled with gripa , and get a lesson or 2 ,, and keep a positive attitude ,, most important have fun

billf
10-03-2016, 09:12 AM
you made a good choice. People who normally have a ball with no fingertip grips hook the ball too much, so they opt-out of the grips for less hook. You should be fine and When you're ready to learn, check out the forums and youtube. The USBC website also has some practice tips. Just make sure you focus on one thing at a time.

Interesting. The reason I went to no grip finger tip as well as Graham Fach and Sean Rash wasn't to cut hook put to keep from gripping. Comfort I can see being a reason but I still rip the ball just as hard or maybe harder than when I had grips