PDA

View Full Version : Spare ball

Bowlingfan92
09-29-2016, 02:16 PM
I have just got back into bowling and use a rhino, 15lbs, I enjoy the long arc but to throw it somewhat straight I have to almost launch it and still have to aim a little right, what would you recommend for a spare ball.

JaxBowlingGuy
09-29-2016, 02:22 PM
Any plastic ball would work well. Columbia white dot is a pretty common one as well as the Brunswick T-Zone

Amyers
09-29-2016, 02:49 PM
A plastic ball is pretty much a plastic ball buy the shinny one with the color you like.

Bowlingfan92
09-29-2016, 03:07 PM
I have heard al little about a urethane balls? How are they?

Amyers
09-29-2016, 03:32 PM

Urethane holds up longer than plastic on spare balls. At least that's what people tell me I've had my plastic 3 years and it's still ok but I'm lower speed. If your lower speed and I'm assuming you are if your having issues with the Rhino hooking on 10 pin shots than you should go plastic. Even the weak Urethanes like the mix hook more than a plastic ball.

JasonNJ
09-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Urethane holds up longer than plastic on spare balls. At least that's what people tell me I've had my plastic 3 years and it's still ok but I'm lower speed. If your lower speed and I'm assuming you are if your having issues with the Rhino hooking on 10 pin shots than you should go plastic. Even the weak Urethanes like the mix hook more than a plastic ball.

I believe plastic\polyester balls can crack and urethane balls do not have that issue.

2handedsniper
09-29-2016, 04:26 PM
tzone does not crack if properly maintained. I've bowled over 400 games with mine, as a strike ball without a resurface and the ball does not
have any large cracks, can upload a pic upon request.

ep1977
09-29-2016, 04:51 PM
I only use my T-zone for 6, 9, & 10 pins and it cracked all around the thumb hole within 6 months. I had it filled in as a temporary fix which is working for now.

classygranny
09-29-2016, 05:22 PM
Any ball will crack, especially from the heat - and we in Phoenix know this from experience. My PSO told me that using an IT thumb in my plastic could cause it to crack, but I said it was important enough to me that I would take that risk. So far, after 3 years - no cracking around the thumb.

JaxBowlingGuy
09-29-2016, 05:51 PM
I have had my spare ball for 7+ years now. It got its first battle wound the end of last season which is just a very small chip

bowl1820
09-29-2016, 06:29 PM
A plastic (Polyester) ball is the typical low cost spare ball, as stated the C300 White Dot is about the most common in use. There is also the Maxim and T-Zone plus a few others.

As for longevity of plastic balls, I believe it all depends on use. I just replaced my white dot which is about 9 years old, I changed my grip and decided it was time to drop in weight to match my other balls (16lbs down to 15lbs).

The only "damage" it has is just a few spider cracks around the thumb hole, which have been there for years.

Most of the time when I've heard of or seen a damaged a plastic ball. It was just because the ball hit something, a stuck pin or bounced up and out of the gutter (A good reason why you don't throw your strike ball at 10 pin's) hitting the rack or whatever in the pit.

The other times are from bowlers who roll over the thumbhole alot (The main reason why they say not to put IT's in plastic balls) when they flatten out the ball.

And those that believe the story that the reason they left a 10 pin was because it was nailed down. So they threw their spare ball as hard and as fast as they can at it.

If your consistently having problems with damaging plastic balls, then yes Urethane is a option. Some opt for Urethane though because it can double as a drier condition ball when needed.

One thing to note about Urethane is they hook more than plastic (especially today's Urethane's, which are more "reacta"thane than Urethane) so you have to keep that in mind. Plus they cost more than plastic.

Bowlingfan92
09-29-2016, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the tips, being new can be so overwhelming between the many different equipment options

djp1080
09-29-2016, 08:56 PM
Previously used a very old Brunswick Black Beauty ball, hard rubber, for spares. Then got a Storm Mix. Later picked up a Columbia White Dot.
Didn't do well with the White Dot for some reason. Probably it was just me. The Mix does hook a wee bit and I've had much better results. The Mix does very well if I keep it polished up with Extra Shine. It's likely the small amount of movement at the backend keeps it from falling in the channel when going for ten pins whereas the White Dot would likely not hold.

Timmyb
09-29-2016, 09:15 PM

I have a Motiv Rebel Tank as my spare ball. Standard drill as my other balls, but my PSO polished it. A bit more expensive than a plastic ball, but If I ever get stuck a dry condition, this has a weight block to knock 'em down.

Timmyb
09-29-2016, 09:21 PM
Note on plastic balls. I used my ball I got when I was 13 (I'm 50 now), a Gemtek Gemstar, for my spare ball for one year, and that was LAST year! The ball has no cracks whatsoever, and I know I've left it out in the freezing cold many time in my youth. I think they just made things better then.

Blomer
10-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Any ball will crack, especially from the heat - and we in Phoenix know this from experience. My PSO told me that using an IT thumb in my plastic could cause it to crack, but I said it was important enough to me that I would take that risk. So far, after 3 years - no cracking around the thumb.

Going on 3 years with my plastic t zone ball Andy no issues. I wanted a slug put in it and the pso also said it would increase the chance to crack. I stayed away from a slug in it. So far so good.

2handedsniper
10-01-2016, 08:45 PM
My Ebointe's plastics cracked alot. never had a white dot.

Tony
10-02-2016, 03:18 PM
I have had one of the DV8 black plastic balls for going into the third year with no issues, I expect it's because there is a fairly low amount of use and durability of the ball in general, the pso suggested that I will bang up the thumb hole over time since I often hear it rolling over the thumb.

Blacksox1
10-02-2016, 04:19 PM
Pyramid path without IT or slug.

Amyers
10-02-2016, 11:56 PM
Going on 3 years with my plastic t zone ball Andy no issues. I wanted a slug put in it and the pso also said it would increase the chance to crack. I stayed away from a slug in it. So far so good.

I only stated that's what I've heard other people say I neither roll over my thumb or throw hard enough to damage one. It's hard to crack a ball at 13 mph.

ep1977
10-04-2016, 01:20 PM
I only use my T-zone for 6, 9, & 10 pins and it cracked all around the thumb hole within 6 months. I had it filled in as a temporary fix which is working for now.

I do have a slug in the ball since I use a mold for all my thumbs.