PDA

View Full Version : League Point System

2handedsniper
10-02-2016, 07:26 PM
what type of l;league awards 7 points please?

Timmyb
10-02-2016, 09:54 PM

Just about every handicapped league on the planet. Two points per game, one for total.

2handedsniper
10-02-2016, 10:59 PM
mine is one a gm

JaxBowlingGuy
10-02-2016, 11:24 PM
In youth we used a 4 and 5 point.. Adults I have only used a 7 and 21 (scratch league)

bowl1820
10-02-2016, 11:40 PM

Most leagues use what is called the Team versus Team system.

This is where your team plays another team in head to head competition, on the same pair of lanes.

The team with the highest score (including Handicap if used) each game, wins the points for that game. Also the team with the highest series receives points for the series win.

The number of points used can vary from league to league, Two common point systems used are the 4 point system and the 7 point system.

(Assuming a 3 game series)
In a 4 point system the team would get 1 points per game win and 1 point for series. For a total of 4 points.

In a 7 point system the team would get 2 points per game win and 1 point for series. For a total of 7 points.

To read more about point systems in bowling, read this thread:

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/9188-Point-Systems-in-Bowling

foreverincamo
10-02-2016, 11:51 PM
I've only seen one league where it was 5 points for a team win per game, plus one point for head-to-head play. Meaning the lead off player for each team were playing against each other, and so on down the line. You could win 35 points because total was 5 points as well.

Tony
10-03-2016, 12:23 AM
I am in a league that does a 50 point system 3 man teams , 4 game series.
2 pts H2H per game and 2pts series, 4 points per game team, 4 points team series.

That gives us 10pts for H2H (X3)and 20 points team per week.

Now sure when or how they came up with this scoring system.

RobLV1
10-03-2016, 06:23 AM
I bowl in an "almost scratch" league where we bowl the same team for four games: two games on one pair, then another two moving one pair to the left. There are two points per game, plus three for total pins for a total of eleven points. I believe that the three point total pin award was a concession for the higher average bowlers who really tried to get the handicaps based on 80% of the team difference between averages rather than the 90% that we currently use. The more points that are awarded for total pins, the more it favors the higher average teams.

ep1977
10-03-2016, 08:08 AM
My league uses a 30 point system. Head to head is 1 point per game.

Jconner91
10-03-2016, 01:54 PM
My summer league had a 4 person 12 point per week. first game singles (1 pt each), second game doubles (2 pts each), and 3rd game team total (4 pts). My Mens league that just started has a 28 point system.

fordman1
10-03-2016, 07:44 PM
The fairest league system is 7 points.

Doghouse Reilly
10-04-2016, 09:45 AM
Most use 7 point system here.

The 4 point system is okay, but it seems to produce a lot of ties in the overall standings.

NewToBowling
10-04-2016, 10:50 AM
Most use 7 point system here.

The 4 point system is okay, but it seems to produce a lot of ties in the overall standings.

I also prefer 7 point system because you don't have all these 1/2 scores due to ties.

bowl1820
10-04-2016, 11:29 AM
I also prefer 7 point system because you don't have all these 1/2 scores due to ties.

You can still have half point scores with 4 point system when you tie games. Example 2.5 wins 1.5 loss.

Though like Dog said, 4 point or even number systems can tend at times to produce a lot of ties in the standings.

We used 4 points here several times and there always seemed to be a lot of teams tied in the standings. With 2-3-4 even 5 way ties.

With Odd number points system ties were reduced and when they did happen it seemed to happen to only a few teams with only a 2 way tie.

NewToBowling
10-04-2016, 11:43 AM
You can still have half point scores with 4 point system when you tie games. Example 2.5 wins 1.5 loss.

Though like Dog said, 4 point or even number systems can tend at times to produce a lot of ties in the standings.

We used 4 points here several times and there always seemed to be a lot of teams tied in the standings. With 2-3-4 even 5 way ties.

With Odd number points system ties were reduced and when they did happen it seemed to happen to only a few teams with only a 2 way tie.

I think you just explained why I like 7 (or odd) point systems. Getting rid of the 1/2 points. If you tie each team gets 1 point. The only 1/2 points would come from total pinfall ties

SAbowler
10-04-2016, 01:13 PM
My Tuesday league is a 7 point per game scoring system. Head to head matches (4 man teams) get 1 point per win and the team gets 3 points per win for a total of 28 possible points.

The other three leagues I bowl in are team points only (no head to head). Each game is one point per team win and 1 point for totals. All for 4 possible points per set.

fordman1
10-04-2016, 02:31 PM
The reason I like the 7 point sys. is that if you win two of the three games you get more points. If you bowl a higher average team and you squeak out the first two games and they wake up and come back the third you still come out on top. In the 4 point sys. the big shooters only have to show up for one game and still bury you and split.
To me it is like at the end of the year when you have a playoff and it is total pins rather than 2 out of 3 games.

bowl1820
10-04-2016, 04:17 PM
The reason I like the 7 point sys. is that if you win two of the three games you get more points. If you bowl a higher average team and you squeak out the first two games and they wake up and come back the third you still come out on top.

hehe, That's funny.

Several years back on the big mens league here that reasoning was used to say 7 points was unfair one year and fair the next.

The captain of one of the top 2-3 teams every year, at the org. meeting one season. Stood up and said we needed to change the point system because 7 points wasn't fair. That the better team should get the most points.

Okay, who was the better team? The team that shot the most pins for the night.

A team that just squeaks out the first two games, then loses one and wood isn't the better team. (which I take is what happened to them the year before, they had a bunch nights where they just barely lost 2 games, but got one and wood.)

So it got changed to a 9 point system (2 a game, 3 for wood).

THEN VERY NEXT YEAR!

The same captain, at the org. meeting for that season. Stood up and said we needed to change the point system because 12 points wasn't fair. That the better team should get the most points.

Okay, who was the better team now? The team that won two games is the better team.

A team that just gets hot 1 game wins and takes wood and loses two games isn't the better team.

So it got changed back to a 7 point system .