PDA

View Full Version : Most unusual league rule.

Tony
10-03-2016, 12:28 AM
I bowl in a league that actually has this rule listed in the official rules.

Late bowlers are allowed until completion of the 4th frame, or whenever Gene shows up.

2handedsniper
10-03-2016, 12:54 AM
At my league they complained over a 10 or 15 minute smoke brake to the point of meetings tears and threats.

stargell1
10-03-2016, 03:48 AM
At my league they complained over a 10 or 15 minute smoke brake to the point of meetings tears and threats.

Can't say I blame them. If people can't wait 2 hrs to smoke then maybe they shouldn't smoke at all.

2handedsniper
10-03-2016, 06:16 AM
I always get 8 or 9 pins so our league takes 3 hours. Also, I am an air venter.

RobLV1
10-03-2016, 06:17 AM
Can't say I blame them. If people can't wait 2 hrs to smoke then maybe they shouldn't smoke at all.

Amen to that!

billf
10-03-2016, 08:47 AM
I smoke but nobody has ever had to wait on me. Have some respect for others, take a few hits and get back in. We wait longer for people to get back from the bar and lottery

bowl1820
10-03-2016, 09:21 AM
I bowl in a league that actually has this rule listed in the official rules.

Late bowlers are allowed until completion of the 4th frame, or whenever Gene shows up.

Since everyone else is talking about smoking breaks, I'll ask the pertinent question.

Who is Gene?

JasonNJ
10-03-2016, 09:43 AM
This wasn't my league but a friend bowls in a Vacation League and they have a rule, people not bowling are not allowed in the bowling pit area. I was trying to talk to my friend and someone chased me out. My friend explained the reason for the rule, one of the bowlers has this terror of a kid, runs around the lanes, grabs all the bowling balls and just a monster. So instead of singling that person out, they created a rule no non bowlers allowed.

NewToBowling
10-03-2016, 09:46 AM
This wasn't my league but a friend bowls in a Vacation League and they have a rule, people not bowling are not allowed in the bowling pit area. I was trying to talk to my friend and someone chased me out. My friend explained the reason for the rule, one of the bowlers has this terror of a kid, runs around the lanes, grabs all the bowling balls and just a monster. So instead of singling that person out, they created a rule no non bowlers allowed.

Wow, talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. I wouldn't bowl in a league with that rule.

billf
10-03-2016, 10:31 AM
My scractch league HAD a rule of no music played over the center's system during competition. I didn't realize how much I liked that until the guy that they passed it for had to miss a season. Some leagues the music is so loud you can't talk to the person next to you.

Had a league come from another center. Their rules stated exactly where bowlers were allowed to go when they went out for a smoke. The looks of horror when I was working and told them they all lost their points and had to take zero's for the night as they just violated their league rules. We don't have a shelter nevermind one in the southwest side of the building. They changed that rule real quick.

Tony
10-03-2016, 10:49 AM
Since everyone else is talking about smoking breaks, I'll ask the pertinent question.

Who is Gene?

He's one of the long time bowlers in the league and is notorious for being late, he is also on the team with the league president .... Since everyone knows him and they are both big Bull Sheiters I think it's just a joke and not observed as a rule.

bowl1820
10-03-2016, 10:52 AM
This wasn't my league but a friend bowls in a Vacation League and they have a rule, people not bowling are not allowed in the bowling pit area. ..............So instead of singling that person out, they created a rule no non bowlers allowed.

Wow, talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. I wouldn't bowl in a league with that rule.

Actually that's not a uncommon rule, it's part of the bowling etiquette list that only bowlers are allowed in the bowlers circle (settee area).

You use to be able to find the Bowling Etiquette list in the back of the old ABC/USBC rule books. So a lot of leagues included that list with their league rules.

Here's a example from the USBC 2016-17 Open rules:

"Rule 30. SETTEE
Only Open Championships tournament competitors and staff assigned to the squad in progress will be permitted in the bowlers’ settee area after the start of competition. "

Tony
10-03-2016, 10:54 AM
I smoke but nobody has ever had to wait on me. Have some respect for others, take a few hits and get back in. We wait longer for people to get back from the bar and lottery

I don't smoke but we do have a number of smokers in the league and with a couple of exceptions they all run for the door, grab a few puffs and run back for the next game. We don't generally wait around for them, when the scores are recorded we start back up.

billf
10-04-2016, 08:52 AM
I've seen leadoff bowlers wait until the team is done before going out to smoke. Actually booted a guy from my team for it when he refused to go out as soon as he was done.
We only have a door at one end so when on my trio league if we are on the opposite end I don't even bother. I know there is no way to get outside and back before it would be my turn. The two other guys on my team don't smoke and have repeatedly told me not to rush when the other team smokes because we end up just sitting there waiting for them to get back inside. But to me it's as much respect for my teammates as well as the other team to be ready when it's my turn no matter how many are not there at the time.

foreverincamo
10-04-2016, 08:02 PM
The only reason I was allowed in the bowler's circle in my Dad's league when I was a kid was I would keep score for both teams and all the adults could talk and drink more.

foreverincamo
10-04-2016, 08:03 PM
And we have a few teams that vanish for 10 minutes after the end of games one and two and hold things up. Guess they don't want to go home.

LOUVIT
10-09-2016, 09:41 PM
I am a smoker and just do not even think about it for the 3 hours I bowl. I have never ran out for a smoke. And before my comeback smoking was still allowed in the house... Also I do not want people (non bowlers) in street shoes in the pit area either. i don't even like people changing shoes there. I change my shoes outside the bowling area.

1VegasBowler
10-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Here in Vegas, you can smoke in the lounges and I have been fortunate enough where they aren't far apart. I keep my eyes on my people and when the person in front of me is ready to bowl, I make my way back. Nobody ever has to wait for me to get there.

Also, USBC rules say once the third frame has been completed, you may not participate in that game. It happened today in a tournament. We completed the third frame, people showed up late because they lost track of time and could not participate until the second game started.

bowl1820
10-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Also, USBC rules say once the third frame has been completed, you may not participate in that game.

I believe that third frame requirement is set by the League or Tournament not the USBC. (It's commonly used on leagues here for players coming in late, no player here to my knowledge though has missed 3 frames because they were out smoking.)

Legal lineup and Tardy players are covered under USBC Rule 109 – Lineup Which says

A team has until the end of the 1st frame of any game of a series to have a legal lineup, Unless otherwise provided by league/tournament rule.

Tardy players who arrive late may be permitted to bowl after a game has started under certain conditions (see 109c. Tardy Players), Unless otherwise provided by league/tournament rule.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-09-2016, 11:25 PM
One of my leagues allows up to the completion of the 5th frame for late bowlers. The others are 3rd frame

chrono00
10-10-2016, 12:22 AM
One of my leagues allows up to the completion of the 5th frame for late bowlers. The others are 3rd frame

Yea I don't think that was a usbc rule. Oust leagues I've seen around here allow up to the 5th frame before having to take a blind score for a late Player

Mike White
10-10-2016, 12:47 AM
I believe that third frame requirement is set by the League or Tournament not the USBC. (It's commonly used on leagues here for players coming in late, no player here to my knowledge though has missed 3 frames because they were out smoking.)

Legal lineup and Tardy players are covered under USBC Rule 109 – Lineup Which says

A team has until the end of the 1st frame of any game of a series to have a legal lineup, Unless otherwise provided by league/tournament rule.

Tardy players who arrive late may be permitted to bowl after a game has started under certain conditions (see 109c. Tardy Players), Unless otherwise provided by league/tournament rule.

Years ago a guy on my team was constantly late for a 6:15 league. He would get there during the 3rd frame week after week.

Along comes day light saving time, and he's there very early.

Practice starts and he's nowhere to be seen.

We start, and around the 3rd frame he shows up...

He had been out in the parking lot talking.