PDA

View Full Version : Lead off guy timing

Tony
10-04-2016, 11:44 AM
As a general rule when you are the lead-off guy when do you get up and bowl

As soon as the other team anchor is done.

As soon as your anchor goes up for his first ball.

Something other than these?

Amyers
10-04-2016, 11:59 AM
After my teams anchor throws his first shot.

LyalC52
10-04-2016, 12:06 PM

same here

fokai73
10-04-2016, 12:26 PM
After the first shot.

I hate slow play.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-04-2016, 12:42 PM
I'm the lead off and if the other team is complete (short a man) I will begin walking up as our last bowler is starting his first throw. If he doesn't strike, I won't go to the ball rack until he's back up and ready to throw his second shot.

zacks
10-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Is there a USBC rule on this? Someone was telling me the lead off guy can't go until his anchor has thrown his first shot.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-04-2016, 01:27 PM
Is there a USBC rule on this? Someone was telling me the lead off guy can't go until his anchor has thrown his first shot.

Mr Bowl1820 will be along shorty to answer that. I swear he's a walking rule book lol

Amyers
10-04-2016, 01:29 PM

Not that I'm aware of I've bowled against teams that just go as soon as the lane is open. The two leagues I bowl leadoff on are my Wednesday night league and the captain doesn't like to move to fast so I keep it slow in respect to him. The Sunday travel league you are bowling head to head and as a team so I keep it that way so you have the opportunity to see what your opponent does.

2handedsniper
10-04-2016, 01:35 PM
at times score doesn't read it

Amyers
10-04-2016, 01:42 PM
at times score doesn't read it

More words of wisdom of the sniper.

RobLV1
10-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Most of the leagues in which I've bowled have no set rule on when the leadoff man bowls. Last year I bowled in an almost scratch league and was told in no uncertain terms to go up when my name came up in the interest of pace of play. What I try to do now in both leagues where I am the leadoff man is to judge when to bowl by the pace of play AND how close the game is. If the game is close, then I will wait until the other anchor has bowled starting in the eighth or ninth frame.

ep1977
10-04-2016, 02:19 PM
I would love to be a lead off bowler. That position can influence pace of play a little more than the other spots. I've only bowled 3rd or 4th on 4 man teams or 2nd on doubles teams.

fordman1
10-04-2016, 02:41 PM
I think at one time there was a rule that you shouldn't bowl until your anchor had finished. I don't remember for sure but I do know it is no longer a rule. If your name comes up bowl. Leagues might be able to put in bylaws to make you wait but I don't feel like looking it up. The rule book is on bowl.com. Look it up.

zacks
10-04-2016, 03:00 PM
I think this is it. No rule against it.

Rule 106.b.2 (Order of Bowling)
When a team bowls against another team or alone, the next frame may be started prior to completion of the previous frame, unless the league rules state otherwise.

fokai73
10-04-2016, 03:34 PM
In handicap leagues I insist to being the lead off guy, I don't like being anchor unless it's in the scratch league I'm on. There are different reasons why I like to lead off, and how I do it, never was an issue. I go as soon as the lane is open and it's my turn. I'm not going to wait. A lot of times, I bowl with slow bowlers, bowlers who frequent the bar, bowlers who take smoke breaks, bowlers who mingle at the other end of the house to chit chat with friends from the other league. I don't complain, but I surely don't want to wait forever to bowl.

vdubtx
10-04-2016, 03:55 PM

No, there is no rule about timing of when lead off bowler bowls his turn. Having lead off go after your anchor is preferred by most that I have bowled with. Makes it consistent especially if you play cards where you get a card or 2 for a mark etc.

NewToBowling
10-04-2016, 04:25 PM
If the other team doesn't show up we bowl straight through. No sitting. Lead anchor will bowl on left lane and proceed immediately to other lane. Rinse and repeat. Get home early and sleep :)

foreverincamo
10-04-2016, 08:16 PM
It kills the pace when you have a leadoff bowler on the other team who refuses to go until the other leadoff bowler is also up to bowl. Just go already!!!

bowl1820
10-04-2016, 10:46 PM
I think at one time there was a rule that you shouldn't bowl until your anchor had finished. I don't remember for sure but I do know it is no longer a rule. If your name comes up bowl. Leagues might be able to put in bylaws to make you wait but I don't feel like looking it up. The rule book is on bowl.com. Look it up.

The old rule was that the teams lead off bowler couldn't go until their anchor bowler rolled his first ball.

But that rule was changed years ago to help speed up the game, Now you can go as soon as the lane is available. Unless theres a league/tournament rule stating otherwise.

classygranny
10-04-2016, 11:00 PM
As the leadoff on my three leagues, I try and bowl to keep an even pace. I hate to bowl, bowl, then wait, wait wait, then bowl - you know the feeling. I will wait until our anchor has at least thrown the first ball if both teams are full. Last night, the other team had 3 players and we had 5, so I would bowl after our 4th man was up (if the other team had finished-they lagged at times) so there was a consistent pace to the bowling. On Friday mornings, we don't usually get out of sync as everyone bowls on the slower side (mostly seniors) but I still try and pace to the other team's speed. On my other it is a flex double and we just bowl as we want - depending on if we are eating, etc. Sometimes we will bowl two frames at a time.

Tony
10-04-2016, 11:58 PM
To answer my own question since I have somehow ended up bowling lead-off on both my leagues right now, I generally will get up when my anchor gets up and lag behind him, in the 3 man morning league I always let him finish, with the other league I wait until he takes the first shot generally or if he is messing around he'll nod to me and I'll get up and throw a ball before him , between his first and second or after depending on what he's doing, this is all if my guy is there and ready to bowl. If my guy has wandered off I'll just go ahead and bowl.
I've tried ready bowling and ran a few games of stay up and bowl left then right lane but my team and I performed horribly when I tried it so I don't do that at all. So far I've not gotten any comment from the other team on what I do.

We used to have a team that had a bowler who would call you if a few seconds had passed since the guy ahead of you finished, after a short time me and one of my teammates had enough, so we stayed seated until he called us, every frame the entire night, near the end of the third game he says whats with you guys, I've never had to remind guys of their turn like you guys. We said as long as he was reminding us we didn't have to pay attention to the game, we knew you would let us know when to bowl. We still bowl with him, but he never reminds us when it's our turn anymore.

1VegasBowler
10-05-2016, 12:56 AM
I'm an anchor and the only thing I ask of our leadoff bowler is to wait until I have thrown my first ball. It helps keep a rhythm to the game.

Recently in one of my leagues, I was listening to the opponents saying to slow it down in the 10th. They were hoping it might slow our pace down as well and make me think a little more.

Well, I helped them by waiting for them to finish their 10th frame. When I was getting ready to set up, I heard them talking about praying for me to throw a gutter ball, no marks. etc. I played along by placing my ball back on the rack and started laughing while I looked at them.

X X X in the 10th for me. After the third strike I just yelled out "BANG"! Then looked directly at them and told them I love these moments, and that's why I'm the anchor!

I love being the anchor, especially in the 10th frame when it's close. I want to be there when the game is on the line because I'm not afraid of failing.

manke
10-05-2016, 10:09 AM
I agree, get up and bowl when it is your turn keep the pace moving.

fordman1
10-05-2016, 11:29 AM
Vegas
If your name is Jim I would like to see you throw 3 strikes in the 10th.

billf
10-05-2016, 04:01 PM
106b. Order of Bowling
Unless the league rules allow each game or frame to be bowled on a different pair of lanes, members
of competing teams shall successively, and in regular order, bowl one frame on one lane, and for the
next frame alternate and use the other lane until five frames are bowled on each lane of the pair.
1. No changes can be made in the order of players after the start of a game.
2. When a team bowls against another team or alone, the next frame may be started prior to
completion of the previous frame, unless the league rules state otherwise

#2 states you can start the next frame before the current frame is finished. This is for leagues. Some tournaments require the frame be complete before beginning the next frame

1VegasBowler
10-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Vegas
If your name is Jim I would like to see you throw 3 strikes in the 10th.

That is my name, but if you're looking for videos it's not happening. I don't have the time or another person to do this for me.

However, I have taken a photo of my score with 3 strikes in the 10th. Did it last night.

fordman1
10-06-2016, 10:52 AM
No I don't want to see video. Just wanted to know I looked you up and was surprised you resume wasn't much better. Any one who can just step up and strike out in the 10th. I would expect more than a 178 average and high game of 268. Especially from a coach.

fortheloveofbowling
10-06-2016, 11:06 AM
No I don't want to see video. Just wanted to know I looked you up and was surprised you resume wasn't much better. Any one who can just step up and strike out in the 10th. I would expect more than a 178 average and high game of 268. Especially from a coach.

Watch out boys and girls fordman has woken up on the wrong side of the bed or the floor. GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS!!

1VegasBowler
10-06-2016, 11:21 AM

1) I was a coach for a high school team in NC, and I'm not a certified coach. No desire to be one.

2) Considering I only returned to bowling in November of 2014 after a 25 year layoff, being at a 178 average (2015-16) isn't so bad. I've had to learn this game all over again because of the huge changes from way back when until now.

I also don't make claim to being a great bowler. But by the same token, I'm not a bad bowler and I'm still learning.

I also know a couple of coaches who do not have good averages. Being a coach does not mean a person is a great bowler either.

What I do know, is, I love to bowl and do the best that I can each and every time. Sometimes I'm the dog, sometimes I'm the fire hydrant. It happens. And what is also true, is, there aren't many people here that are members of the PBA.

You can't always judge a person by their numbers or their resume either because it doesn't always tell the story about the person.

While there is much more I would like to say, I cannot do so due to Code Of Conduct agreements that I have. And while that may not be a big deal to some, it is to me and I will certainly abide by them.

fordman1
10-06-2016, 11:37 AM
I'm an anchor and the only thing I ask of our leadoff bowler is to wait until I have thrown my first ball. It helps keep a rhythm to the game.

Recently in one of my leagues, I was listening to the opponents saying to slow it down in the 10th. They were hoping it might slow our pace down as well and make me think a little more.

Well, I helped them by waiting for them to finish their 10th frame. When I was getting ready to set up, I heard them talking about praying for me to throw a gutter ball, no marks. etc. I played along by placing my ball back on the rack and started laughing while I looked at them.

X X X in the 10th for me. After the third strike I just yelled out "BANG"! Then looked directly at them and told them I love these moments, and that's why I'm the anchor!

I love being the anchor, especially in the 10th frame when it's close. I want to be there when the game is on the line because I'm not afraid of failing.

This and some of your other post are what irritates me. Always giving advise on which ball to use. Talking about being the anchor man. Throwing your 12 ball and more.
I talked to a few people I know and they said you just stand right and fire the ball at the head pin. Yet on here you sound like an expert.
There are many bowlers on here who are experts. If you want to talk about being a board member I will listen and thank you for helping bowling. Same for anyone who does things to help bowling. Run tournaments volunteers to help local assn. etc.

fordman1
10-06-2016, 11:44 AM
I had more but some G.D. kids are on my lawn.

1VegasBowler
10-06-2016, 11:50 AM
This and some of your other post are what irritates me. Always giving advise on which ball to use. Talking about being the anchor man. Throwing your 12 ball and more.
I talked to a few people I know and they said you just stand right and fire the ball at the head pin. Yet on here you sound like an expert.
There are many bowlers on here who are experts. If you want to talk about being a board member I will listen and thank you for helping bowling. Same for anyone who does things to help bowling. Run tournaments volunteers to help local assn. etc.

Whomever you are talking to certainly does not know me, except for one person, and I do not fire the ball at the head pin by any means. So the so called people you are talking to are talking about something they know absolutely nothing about!

And as far as experts go, I have never claimed to be one. And when I talk about a subject, I talk from my own experience(s). And I will certainly express my opinion(s) as well, just like everybody else does here.

This forum contains tons of opinions from people at all levels, and while we can all agree to disagree with these opinions, we are sharing what we have done and what works best for us.

And FYI, I rarely throw my 12lb balls these days. But even if I did, it is totally irrelevant.

Amyers
10-06-2016, 12:00 PM

Ford I don't know what set you off this morning but you're out of line. I don't know Vegas personally and I've never seen him bowl but I've got somewhat similar stats my averages are somewhat higher not much and I've anchored teams plenty of times and struck out in the 10th plenty too. It's not like he has some fake average claiming he's the next Pete Webber either. I have no problem with people calling out a liar we've seen it on here before but I don't see anything in Vegas's stats or posts that represent that status. Very few of Vegas's post have ever seemed out of line to me factually or what he believes to be true of bowling balls or anything else. If you have problems with or disagree with info he posts then point it out to the community but attacking in this manor not the right way to handle it.

1VegasBowler
10-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Ford I don't know what set you off this morning but you're out of line. I don't know Vegas personally and I've never seen him bowl but I've got somewhat similar stats my averages are somewhat higher not much and I've anchored teams plenty of times and struck out in the 10th plenty too. It's not like he has some fake average claiming he's the next Pete Webber either. I have no problem with people calling out a liar we've seen it on here before but I don't see anything in Vegas's stats or posts that represent that status. Very few of Vegas's post have ever seemed out of line to me factually or what he believes to be true of bowling balls or anything else. If you have problems with or disagree with info he posts then point it out to the community but attacking in this manor not the right way to handle it.

One of the biggest issues is the fact that most of my arsenal is 12lbs. And I think the other issue he might have, is that my equipment is made in another country.

I talk about the Brunswick line because 1) It is what I use, and 2) I can't use anything other than Brunswick equipment because of a Conflict Of Interest agreement.

And as I have said before, I can no longer say what I want to say because of the Code Of Conduct agreements I have. Otherwise I would probably get banned from here. lol

NewToBowling
10-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Lets just say if there was an option of keeping either Vegas or Fordman on these boards I'd keep Vegas. He has contributed more to these boards than Fordman has. Actually all that Fordman does is **** and moan. Seems like he is always grumpy. Take that nonsense elsewhere. Not sure why you have such an agenda against Vegas.

SAbowler
10-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Getting back on topic, on my various teams, our lead off bowlers will usually only bowl ahead of our anchor to keep up the pace if our lanes have gotten behind for one reason or another.

ep1977
10-06-2016, 01:55 PM
Wow this thread was very entertaining!

manke
10-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Vegas what is your conflict of interest your talkin about?

1VegasBowler
10-06-2016, 02:11 PM
Vegas what is your conflict of interest your talkin about?

The Conflict Of Interest agreement that I have is with Brunswick.

I cannot use any bowling balls for any reason other than in the Brunswick family line. Using anything other than Brunswick, DV8 or Radical, is a breech because if were to throw anything else it conflicts on my exclusive use of Brunswick bowling balls.

Currently I can use other shoes, but that can change at any time.

And to clarify, those who have or have had agreements with other companies also have the same Conflict of Interest agreements as well. Some are explicit even to shoes, gloves, towels, etc.

bowl1820
10-06-2016, 02:16 PM
The Conflict Of Interest agreement that I have is with Brunswick.

I cannot use any bowling balls for any reason other than in the Brunswick family line. Using anything other than Brunswick, DV8 or Radical, is a breech because if were to throw anything else it conflicts on my exclusive use of Brunswick bowling balls.

Currently I can use other shoes, but that can change at any time.

In other words your a Brunswick staffer.

manke
10-06-2016, 02:18 PM
I've never heard of a staffer with a 178 average.

bowl1820
10-06-2016, 02:18 PM
And everybody lets get it back on topic please.

panbanger
10-06-2016, 02:48 PM
9 times out of 10 our lead off will wait until out anchor has thrown his first shot. If the other team has a couple blinds, he will bowl sooner and by the end of the frame it usually evens out so that both anchors are generally up at the same time.

LOUVIT
10-06-2016, 03:03 PM
OMG...my biggest issue on my league. I've posted this already. I am tired of looking for her or watching her talking or watching others shots and maybe then she will pick up the ball.... yea you hit a sore point with me! I have moved myself from anchor to third because my captain was third and he is always busy writting scores than bowling....

ep1977
10-06-2016, 03:18 PM
OMG...my biggest issue on my league. I've posted this already. I am tired of looking for her or watching her talking or watching others shots and maybe then she will pick up the ball.... yea you hit a sore point with me! I have moved myself from anchor to third because my captain was third and he is always busy writting scores than bowling....
IMO the leadoff bowler is the best person to record scores.

LOUVIT
10-06-2016, 03:26 PM
IMO the leadoff bowler is the best person to record scores.

I am hoping I stick this out and next year join a real league instead of an afternoon senior league...

ep1977
10-06-2016, 03:51 PM
I am hoping I stick this out and next year join a real league instead of an afternoon senior league...

It works well that the leadoff guy finishes his turn and then he can start recording scores. Once the last bowler finishes the scores should be recorded and the next game can begin.

LOUVIT
10-06-2016, 04:14 PM
It works well that the leadoff guy finishes his turn and then he can start recording scores. Once the last bowler finishes the scores should be recorded and the next game can begin.

that makes sense but still no matter what spot this lady bowles in she would be the same..lol.. I am not a patient person and that hurts me a lot not just in bowling.... i was from LI also and bowled in the Friday night league at Babylon bowl 30 years ago..Like this week we lost the last game by 3 pins and she's standing there when it's her turn happy the the other team made a spare. I realize this is a afternoon senior league but when I was a bowler it was very competitive and all about money. I need to realize this is for fun.

Amyers
10-06-2016, 07:15 PM
that makes sense but still no matter what spot this lady bowles in she would be the same..lol.. I am not a patient person and that hurts me a lot not just in bowling.... i was from LI also and bowled in the Friday night league at Babylon bowl 30 years ago..Like this week we lost the last game by 3 pins and she's standing there when it's her turn happy the the other team made a spare. I realize this is a afternoon senior league but when I was a bowler it was very competitive and all about money. I need to realize this is for fun.

I don't do well with "fun" leagues. I'm more patient but bowling with people that don't care if they win or lose. Nah I'll just practice instead so I can at least beat myself up. Lol

J Anderson
10-08-2016, 04:11 PM

Ditto.