PDA

View Full Version : 1 or 2 handed bowling?

2handedsniper
10-06-2016, 07:26 PM
I think two handed is better is because you get double accuracy, loft and power
Again during a recent event Belmo and Sim0nsen were in the finals. 2 finalist out of 4% of entries.
Belmo only 3 time straight player of the year. Two handers generally do not struggle with spares as much as they used to.
Two handed is especially helpful on a sport pattern.

ep1977
10-06-2016, 07:30 PM
The big question will be how will 2 handers bodies hold up when the bowlers get older. Honestly I can't see Belmo bowling in the PBA50.

bowl1820
10-06-2016, 07:50 PM

How does two handed bowling make you twice as accurate?

Why would being able to loft a ball twice as far be helpful?

More power? Yeah maybe, but there are one handed bowlers that can crank the ball just as much.

Again during a recent event Belmo and Sim0nsen were in the finals. 2 finalist out of 4% of entries.
Alright 2 bowlers out of a 4% minority made it to the finals, what did that tell us or how does that indicate two handed bowling is better?

Belmo only 3 time straight player of the year.

What Belmo only throws a straight ball?

Two handers generally do not struggle with spares as much as they used to.
So Two-handers have practiced and are better at picking up spares now. How does that indicate that two handed bowling is better than using one?

Okay, Explain why?

Note: Throwing a bowling ball like a Rugby ball spin pass is not the same thing as what Belmo and the other two-handed approach bowlers are doing.

1VegasBowler
10-06-2016, 07:59 PM
The big question will be how will 2 handers bodies hold up when the bowlers get older. Honestly I can't see Belmo bowling in the PBA50.

I agree with this.

IMO, it appears that the 2 handers put much more strain on their bodies than 1 handers/ especially when they take that hop at steps 4 & 5 (3 & 4 for some). I just looks like the knees are taking much more abuse, along with everything else.

I certainly have no data to say that any of this is true. It's just an observation.

stargell1
10-06-2016, 09:43 PM
I've watched the men's championships the last three weeks on cbs network, and all three winners were one handers.

2handedsniper
10-07-2016, 02:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms45F2hzMgw note chris Via, ABT USBC amateur chamnp of 120 entries does not always hop and power step
I do not always hop and power step and I came within 12 pins of cashing in on highway to hell.

Timmyb
10-07-2016, 05:55 AM
You need to concentrate on making your own game better, and stop trying to convince the rest of us that we should switch to two-handed bowling. Have you noticed that just about every time you make a comment on here, you get shredded?

Belmo 3-time player of the year? Ever watch a tournament where he destroys a lane for everyone else bowling? Nothing illegal about that, but I'd be unhappy if I were out there. Also, last I watched, I didn't see him doing spectacular on the animal patterns.

Tony
10-07-2016, 06:26 AM
Belmo only 3 time straight player of the year. Two handers generally do not struggle with spares as much as they used to.

In order for your opinion to have value you first must have credibility, you do not have that.

This is just a poorly constructed list of unsubstantiated comments, what information do you have to back up "double accuracy, loft and power", or "especially helpful on sport pattern", and why would "not struggling as much as they used to" be a selling point.

Since you don't use a style similar to the two handed bowlers you mention, what does this have to do with you. Maybe the question should be why should one bowl with a rugby throw instead of common two handed or single handed bowling.....show us the proof is has any value and deserves to be taken seriously.

ep1977
10-07-2016, 10:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms45F2hzMgw note chris Via, ABT USBC amateur chamnp of 120 entries does not always hop and power step
I do not always hop and power step and I came within 12 pins of cashing in on highway to hell.

Honestly I don't consider you a "2 handed" style bowler. All 2 handers have a very similar style especially at the release but your style is nothing like that.

2handedsniper
10-07-2016, 10:56 AM
having used a 10 pound ball since i was 5 i see my arms starting to go already

1VegasBowler
10-07-2016, 11:17 AM
We are still waiting to see any supported data or physical proof that back up your original statements.

Two handers generally do not struggle with spares as much as they used to.

2handedsniper
10-07-2016, 08:59 PM
some1 else posted that half of the youth leagues bowls two handed. I saw it too

ep1977
10-07-2016, 09:43 PM

Can you please explain your obsession with the 2 handed style of bowling? It's strange being that you don't use that style of bowling.

Timmyb
10-07-2016, 09:51 PM

I watched my nephew's junior league last Saturday. 36 kids from the age of 8-18, and not a single one of them threw two handed. Since I'm from a reasonably sized metropolitan area, I'd have to say that 2-handed bowling is not the new norm.

Blomer
10-07-2016, 10:09 PM
I never see anyone bowl two hands at the two center si bowl at.

1VegasBowler
10-07-2016, 10:15 PM
I've only seen 1 adult bowler and zero youth bowlers bowling 2 handed here in Vegas, but I'm guessing there are a couple more.

I also took note that nobody from age 50 & up was bowling 2 handed during the Southern Nevada USBC Senior Singles Tournament 2 weeks ago. I'll see if there are any there this weekend. Pretty sure there are not going to be any.

2handedsniper
10-07-2016, 10:21 PM
well thats why the scores are so low and the PBA is going downhill

ep1977
10-07-2016, 10:24 PM
well thats why the scores are so low and the PBA is going downhill

I'll ask the question again: Can you please explain your obsession with the 2 handed style of bowling? It's strange being that you don't use that style of bowling.

Mike White
10-07-2016, 10:25 PM
Can you please explain your obsession with the 2 handed style of bowling? It's strange being that you don't use that style of bowling.

Based on the video presented here, (and the description) he bowls two handed, what he doesn't do is bowl underhanded.

In my years of bowling, the only time I saw someone use a technique like his was from someone in the "short bus" crowd.

However I found what must be a long lost relative of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOij1prDhmI

Supposedly the video is of a person named Matt Jones... USBC# 5482-420

2handedsniper
10-07-2016, 10:25 PM
if the pros and USBC champion bowlers were trained during there youth in 80s 90s 00s two handed scores would be higher and sport would be healthier would you rather carry a heavy box one handed or two handed?

2handedsniper
10-07-2016, 10:28 PM
yes i bowl like person in the video and posted my bowling video already

ep1977
10-07-2016, 10:37 PM

Yes I've seen your video. Doing a 2 handed chest pass onto the lanes is nothing like 2 handed bowling.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-07-2016, 11:04 PM
I believe the person in the video made an illegal delivery when he shot at the 7-10

Mike White
10-07-2016, 11:05 PM
if the pros and USBC champion bowlers were trained during there youth in 80s 90s 00s two handed scores would be higher and sport would be healthier would you rather carry a heavy box one handed or two handed?

I didn't bowl during the 90s or 00s (other than 1990) but I know in the 80's, you needed more accuracy since the oil pattern was much flatter, and balls didn't remove much oil so you couldn't make your own hook area.

The equipment didn't stick to the lane like reactive resin balls, so all the extra revs you could generate 2 handed would be wasted as the ball just spun into the pit without hooking.

In the 80's, bowling well was an art form, not just run and chuck, and let the oil guide the ball.

Mike White
10-07-2016, 11:08 PM

You bowl like Matt only in the sense that you both look equally bad.

Score wise, you're nothing like Matt.

Mike White
10-07-2016, 11:21 PM
I believe the person in the video made an illegal delivery when he shot at the 7-10

It may be illegal now (I haven't looked at the recent rules for that) but it may not have been illegal at the time the video was shot.

1VegasBowler
10-07-2016, 11:51 PM
The spare shot is illegal these days.

If a person is using 2 hands to release the ball for the first shot, the second shot must be thrown the same way.

Try to remember this about the normal 2 handers. When they get the the foul line to release the ball, the front hand goes away from the ball which technically makes them a 1 hander.

Here's the link that provides the information, which is in the Equipment Specification Manual.

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net/usbcongress/bowl/equipandspecs/pdfs/ESManual.pdf

dmet225
10-07-2016, 11:58 PM
In my almost 40 years of bowling, not once have I ever seen a bowler throw the ball like that. EVER!

2handedsniper
10-08-2016, 12:40 AM
i do too so that makes 2 of us

Timmyb
10-08-2016, 06:02 AM
Try to remember this about the normal 2 handers. When they get the the foul line to release the ball, the front hand goes away from the ball which technically makes them a 1 hander.

Here's the link that provides the information, which is in the Equipment Specification Manual.

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net/usbcongress/bowl/equipandspecs/pdfs/ESManual.pdf

I don't think I've seen any "2-handed" bowlers with the extra hand on the ball at release. Good point!

Blomer
10-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Can anyone who is tech savvy post both videos together side by side? Think it would be appreciated by all and then some!

Mike White
10-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Can anyone who is tech savvy post both videos together side by side? Think it would be appreciated by all and then some!

You want a side by side video of two drunken sailor approaches?

WHY????

fordman1
10-08-2016, 03:31 PM
The 7-10 shot is not illegal. The video is old 5-6 years of so. It was on the internet before. I think it was a tournament some where in the SW. The only rule is which hand is dominate. New rules about the thumb hole being a balance hole if not used in the delivery.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-08-2016, 05:48 PM
The 7-10 shot is not illegal. The video is old 5-6 years of so. It was on the internet before. I think it was a tournament some where in the SW. The only rule is which hand is dominate. New rules about the thumb hole being a balance hole if not used in the delivery.

Currently that spare shot would be considered illegal. At the time maybe not, but since then yes it would be. Here's a reply from usbc on the subject and one of the members here also has a reply recently saying the same. Key words are "approach" and "delivery"

This is in regards to your email below.

An example of a two handed delivery is the bowler who puts one hand on one side of the ball and the other hand on opposite side of the ball and throws the ball between their legs using a rocking motion. Or, holds the ball in the middle of their chest and pushes the ball forward simultaneously with both hands. This type of delivery cannot switch back and forth between a one handed and two handed delivery.

From our observations of most bowlers who have been described as using a two handed delivery, both hands do not impart equal force or impetus to the ball. One hand or arm is putting more force or impetus to the ball. Therefore, we would not consider this a two handed delivery bowler. We would consider this a two handed approach.

This type of bowler who uses the two handed approach could alternate their release between two handed approach and one handed delivery provided the same hand is being used to impart equal force or impetus to the ball for all deliveries or vice versa. Separate averages should not be established.

USBC holds it is acceptable for a player that uses a two-handed approach to use the dominant hand for spare conversions or vice versa.

Since the youth is using a two handed approach, establishing a new average is not required.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

fordman1
10-08-2016, 08:38 PM
I have a hard time believing he guy who wrote that is a bowler.

bowl1820
10-08-2016, 09:14 PM
That's how it's defined in the rule books

USBC Equipment and Specifications Manual
Two-Handed Techniques

Two-handed Delivery
Both hands impart force on the ball to get it down the lane; normally done by swinging the ball
between one’s legs. Differing greatly from the two-handed approach, this style is most commonly
used when youth start to learn how to bowl. Individuals who deliver the ball from the chest using
both hands would be considered to be using a two-handed delivery.

Two-handed Approach
Not to be confused with the two-handed delivery, this style places both hands on the ball and
are left on the ball throughout the swing until the release. An evolution of the thumb-less technique,
this can be done with or without the thumb on the dominant hand in the ball.

It’s important as it relates to USBC rules regarding averages and drilling specifications to know
which hand is the dominant hand. This is determined by the side of the body by which the ball
swings and, if utilized by the player, the hand which is used to grip the bowling ball.

This particular style has been made popular as it enables the bowler to create additional
revolutions.