PDA

View Full Version : special Olympic bowling?

2handedsniper
10-08-2016, 10:22 AM
forms? challenges? scores? any coaches or athletes?

chrono00
10-08-2016, 05:51 PM
What about it now?

drlawsoniii
10-08-2016, 08:27 PM
forms? challenges? scores? any coaches or athletes?

Are you looking for where to apply to become a Special Olympic athlete? Cause I have no idea...

2handedsniper
10-10-2016, 08:32 AM
the average is only 110. Do you think uniform 2hd bowling would be better or fitted holes in 8 pounds. Most use house ball. Maybe a cored ball?

ep1977
10-10-2016, 08:36 AM
the average is only 110. Do you think uniform 2hd bowling would be better or fitted holes in 8 pounds. Most use house ball. Maybe a cored ball?

Just use what ever ball and style you normally use when you compete in the special Olympics and good luck to. Nice to see mentally challenged adults competing in organized sports which makes the special Olympics such a great organization.

2handedsniper
10-10-2016, 08:39 AM
is not an athlete in special Olympics and is proud of my 156 average.

2handedsniper
10-10-2016, 08:44 AM
does anyone have suggestions on how to help these athletes score better without analyzing if i should bowl for them or not

baker
10-10-2016, 09:47 AM
I'll post my experience for anyone interested in coaching or volunteering. I've volunteered coaching a group and a more serious bowler for special Olympics.

In a larger group it's purely about support and having fun. Answer any questions anyone has, but don't necessarily try to coach the bowlers unless you know their interest and ability level.

For more serious athletes you can get into more one on one coaching. In my experience the bowler would ask questions and I would help guide them on where to play the lane and minor physical adjustments. Reinforcing good shots and building confidence was key, no different than any other coaching.

When I left he was averaging 165 in a house that was not easy. He had his own equipment drill finger tip and threw 14 pounds. Really good bowler and great kid.

ep1977
10-10-2016, 09:52 AM
I'll post my experience for anyone interested in coaching or volunteering. I've volunteered coaching a group and a more serious bowler for special Olympics.

In a larger group it's purely about support and having fun. Answer any questions anyone has, but don't necessarily try to coach the bowlers unless you know their interest and ability level.

For more serious athletes you can get into more one on one coaching. In my experience the bowler would ask questions and I would help guide them on where to play the lane and minor physical adjustments. Reinforcing good shots and building confidence was key, no different than any other coaching.

When I left he was averaging 165 in a house that was not easy. He had his own equipment drill finger tip and threw 14 pounds. Really good bowler and great kid.

Is it safe to say you would have to have some knowledge about bowling to "coach" a special Olympic athlete?

J Anderson
10-10-2016, 09:59 AM
does anyone have suggestions on how to help these athletes score better without analyzing if i should bowl for them or not

While I am a USBC certified coach, I have no experience with Special Olympics. I do work with some kids in youth league who have been diagnosed as either ADD/HD or autistic.

My advice would be:
1. Start with what they can do and try to improve it.
2. Keep things positive. This means both praising what they do right and and making sure that your coaching suggestions are phrased so that you're asking them to do something as opposed to telling them not to do something.
3. Keep it simple. No matter how many things you think are wrong with an athlete's technique, limit your self by picking no more than three things that would have the biggest effect. and then work on them one at a time.

drlawsoniii
10-10-2016, 10:02 AM
While I am a USBC certified coach, I have no experience with Special Olympics. I do work with some kids in youth league who have been diagnosed as either ADD/HD or autistic.

My advice would be:
1. Start with what they can do and try to improve it.
2. Keep things positive. This means both praising what they do right and and making sure that your coaching suggestions are phrased so that you're asking them to do something as opposed to telling them not to do something.
3. Keep it simple. No matter how many things you think are wrong with an athlete's technique, limit your self by picking no more than three things that would have the biggest effect. and then work on them one at a time.

This kid should not be trying to help anyone, what he does is not bowling it's recklessly chucking a 10lb ball down the lane as hard as he can. He's going to hurt someone or himself sooner or later.

1VegasBowler
10-10-2016, 10:46 AM
This kid should not be trying to help anyone, what he does is not bowling it's recklessly chucking a 10lb ball down the lane as hard as he can. He's going to hurt someone or himself sooner or later.

Isn't this the truth!

He thinks, that, 2 handed bowling needs to be taught to all youths and is quite the trend these days.

His stories about what his average is have been all over the place, especially early on when he said he was going to get his PBA card.

There is absolutely no sense of reality here.

baker
10-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Is it safe to say you would have to have some knowledge about bowling to "coach" a special Olympic athlete?

I get where you are going with this, but in all honesty when I was coaching the larger group very few "coaches" had prior bowling experience. It was all about having fun and being supportive of the athletes; the best coaches were engaging and excited to be there.

For the OP, I would treat it like league; don't offer unsolicited advice, and don't try to change anyone's form. Best way you can help them improve is a high five and say "Nice shot!"

ep1977
10-10-2016, 12:53 PM
I get where you are going with this, but in all honesty when I was coaching the larger group very few "coaches" had prior bowling experience. It was all about having fun and being supportive of the athletes; the best coaches were engaging and excited to be there.

For the OP, I would treat it like league; don't offer unsolicited advice, and don't try to change anyone's form. Best way you can help them improve is a high five and say "Nice shot!"

So we agree someone that is obsessed with a 2 handed style of bowling that he himself doesn't actually use shouldn't be given the opportunity to force his warped opinions about the game on special athletes.

1VegasBowler
10-10-2016, 12:58 PM
So we agree someone that is obsessed with a 2 handed style of bowling that he himself doesn't actually use shouldn't be given the opportunity to force his warped opinions about the game on special athletes.

Not just special athletes my friend. He shouldn't be coaching anybody about bowling.

AlexNC
10-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Re: Volunteering as a Coach, they do have standards and requirements that must be met:

"We encourage everyone officiating Special Olympics competitions to become certified in their sport and provide an opportunity for anyone interested, including Special Olympics athletes, to become a certified Special Olympics sport-specific official.

The Special Olympics Officials Training and Certification process consists of three parts.

Officials with a National Governing Body (NGB) officials' certification and/or an International Sport Federations (ISF) officials certification should participate in Part 1, which provides an introduction to Special Olympics, officiating Special Olympics events and any necessary rules and sport equipment modifications, and Part 3, which entails officiating 10 hours or five Special Olympics sport-specific competitions under the observance of an experienced Special Olympics official and/or competition staff member.

Those individuals with neither a NGB nor an ISF officials certification must also complete Part 2 of the process, which focuses on the competition venue, games management and the various officiating positions of the sport.

When participants in the training process have completed all the requirements, they must complete the Special Olympics Sports Training Certification form; have a local Program staff member sign off on the completion requirements; and send the completed form to the Program office"

Additionally, in the U.S. the programs are managed at a local level (usually state) and have differing requirements as well as opportunities.

AlexNC
10-10-2016, 01:03 PM
If interested, there is also a bowling specific page here with coaching guidelines and resources...

http://www.specialolympics.org/Sections/Sports-and-Games/Coaching_Guides/Bowling.aspx

I think bigger picture - my opinion - is not so much about being qualified to give informed information and feedback specifically about bowling, but being prepared and able to work with such a unique group of athletes and give them the experience they deserve.

2handedsniper
10-11-2016, 06:53 AM
should i ask the director to fit the fingers to the bowlers (buy new balls or borrow mine) or will it not help the bowlers. they use house balls

JaxBowlingGuy
10-11-2016, 08:14 AM
should i ask the director to fit the fingers to the bowlers (buy new balls or borrow mine) or will it not help the bowlers. they use house balls

Thought you have said before that you didn't use fingers. Won't be any difference from your plastic ball and a house ball. Plus they probably throw heavier than 10lbs

bowl1820
10-11-2016, 09:01 AM

You shouldn't have to ask the director to fit the fingers to the bowlers. Most bowlers come with fingers already attached to their hands.