PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble figuring out new lanes.

prezidentelect
10-10-2016, 01:53 PM
I've been out of bowling for about 14 years. The last ball I threw was an Ebonite Timberwolf if anyone remembers those. I got asked to sub and we all know how that turns out. So I went ahead an bought all new equipment, I bought a Columbia Crazy Antics, Hammer High Arson Flare Pearl and a Hammer Everclear spare ball. These balls work great for me at the lanes I got asked to bowl on. Well I've been asked to sub at another house and I cant keep the bowl right of the headpin. So I went and bought another ball this time I went with a Motiv Ascent the green and pink one. I figured with the 5000 abralon finish and the smaller rating on The Perfect Scale it would work but it doesn't, it still hooks too much. So I asked the owner what oil pattern he uses and he tells me that he oils to 26ft and buffs to 40. Im thinking of buying a urethane ball maybe a Pitch Black or a Blue hammer not sure if these will help or not so that is why I am here. I need some input or any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

RobLV1
10-10-2016, 02:30 PM
Try the Brunswick Fanatic BTU (Better Than Urethane). It has a urethane-like motion but doesn't carry oil down, and it has a pretty high rg (2.61) to help you to get it down the lane. Many urethane balls actually have early-rolling cores which can be counter-productive on very dry lanes.

bowl1820
10-10-2016, 02:57 PM
So I asked the owner what oil pattern he uses and he tells me that he oils to 26ft and buffs to 40.
So others can get a better idea.
If known, What kind of speed, rev do you have?

On this shot how are you playing the lanes, with the equipment you currently have?

got_a_300
10-10-2016, 04:26 PM
The new oiling machine and the new shot at our center has forced me
to quit using my newer equipment and to go back to using an early 90's
Ebonite urethane black Turbo ball that I had retired in the late 90's.

I guess that I will be buying a Brunswick Fanatic BTU pretty soon as the
old Turbo has a tendency to want to slide to much when I do catch some
head oil and hooks too early when you get it to far on the out side.

So I'll have to agree with RobLV1 on getting the Brunswick Fanatic BTU.

prezidentelect
10-11-2016, 07:28 AM
16.5 mph high rev not sure how high but its high. Columbia Crazy Antics, Hammer High Arson Flare Pearl, Motiv Ascent Apex and Hammer Everclear (spareball) I've tried about every approach I could think of I tried playing as far left as I could and throw to the 2nd board. I tried staying right putting as much speed as I could on it. I tried the old suitcase release but this was never comfortable for me. The only way i could stay right of the headpin was to throw my spare ball but that thing comes in so light with no angle.

ep1977
10-11-2016, 08:43 AM
16.5 mph high rev not sure how high but its high. Columbia Crazy Antics, Hammer High Arson Flare Pearl, Motiv Ascent Apex and Hammer Everclear (spareball) I've tried about every approach I could think of I tried playing as far left as I could and throw to the 2nd board. I tried staying right putting as much speed as I could on it. I tried the old suitcase release but this was never comfortable for me. The only way i could stay right of the headpin was to throw my spare ball but that thing comes in so light with no angle.

Playing from the left gutter you still can't keep your weaker equipment right?

prezidentelect
10-14-2016, 04:16 AM
Nope my weakest ball hooks too much.

ep1977
10-14-2016, 08:22 AM
Nope my weakest ball hooks too much.

You try throwing plastic? I recently played a high rev guy who threw plastic all night and gave me a beat down.

fordman1
10-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Try bowling in a center that has an oil machine and knows how to work it.

foreverincamo
10-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Try bowling in a center that has an oil machine and knows how to work it.

No kidding! Some houses act like that oil costs as much as gold. Put some oil out there and let us play!

prezidentelect
10-18-2016, 01:17 AM
Yeah I've had to use my spare ball its a Hammer Everclear....I get it to hook about 7-10 boards but no forgiveness at all if I miss my spot. Do they make a plastic ball with a core that would make it react more like a resin?

fokai73
10-18-2016, 01:37 AM
wow, you're bowling on carpet!!

Hammer makes spare balls with a gas mask core, and Track is another one. I have an old Lane #1 XXXL and had success with clear balls like the RG tire and Gargoyle one lol.