PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for bad quality. If I should re-do please let me know but I need help....

regaldozer
10-14-2016, 10:02 AM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1q8Noi-yEFxazlQREZaaS1YUmc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1q8Noi-yEFxWDZ4dFJkVk56QUU

any analysis would be great, thanks

regaldozer
10-17-2016, 09:31 AM
Am I not getting any replies because of the poor video?

JasonNJ
10-17-2016, 10:24 AM
I didn't see your post originally and although the video is a little blurry I think everything looks pretty good for the most part. Timing from the side view is pretty good. From the back view, it looks like you put the ball behind you a little bit but if that is something you do consistently, I wouldn't be concerned about it. I also say it looks like you grabbed the ball a little bit on the release causing you to loft it. Again, if that is just how you throw the ball, I wouldn't say it's a major concern.

Is there anything in particular that you are struggling with that you wanted someone to look at your form?

J Anderson
10-17-2016, 10:30 AM
Am I not getting any replies because of the poor video?

Yes, a little better quality video would help. They are the correct views to show, one from behind the ball side shoulder and one from the side.

It would also help to know what you feel you need help with. There is so much individual variation in this sport that I might see something that "looks wrong" to me, that has nothing to do with your actual problem.

regaldozer
10-17-2016, 10:34 AM
Thanks Jason,
Yes, what has been happening lately is a lot of washouts. I'm not getting the late hook I was when I got the new ball. You mention grabbing the ball at release causing loft. I have been told and know I have a grip pressure issue. But I can't seem to get a consistent light pressure where the thumb leaves first and the tips roll the ball. My thumb hole is perfect BUT I did throw my partners ball and his thumbhole was really loose for me. But I tell you I threw the best shot of the day with that ball.......Do I work on grip pressure drills (are there such things?) or have the pro shop open the thumb hole? I have asked him and he really doesnt want me to. I'm looking for other opinions beside the knuckleheads on my team and the one pro shop owner. thanks

fokai73
10-17-2016, 01:16 PM
it could be your thumb pitch (or the whole grip/span) that's making you grip. Reverse pitch can do that, make you "squeeze". especially when bowlers don't use thumb tape, like the white texture tape to fine tune their fit.

JasonNJ
10-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Ok so you said you aren't getting the same hook as the ball was new, that may just be a ball maintenance thing where you need to get the balled de-oiled or resurfaced. I had the same thing happen to me when I got back into bowling 4 years ago. Bought a Ebonite Pursuit-S and loved the ball but after about 100 games I lost my ball reaction and I thought it was me and I slumped and tried everything for about 6 weeks. It wasn't until I baked my ball and got about 2 teaspoons of oil out that I got my ball reaction back.

For a tip to help your thumb release first, try feeling the back of your thumb hole with your thumb nail. If this causes you to drop the ball, try some tape to make the thumb hole more snug and focus on feeling the wall of the hole with your thumbnail. That should prevent you from gripping.

Amyers
10-17-2016, 02:24 PM
I don't see anyhtig massively wrong at least as far a I can tell with the video quality. My mind wonders to Jason's post how old is the ball and about how many games?

fokai73
10-17-2016, 02:26 PM
just to give you an idea about my thumb fit and my grip. the ball is hold my hand and my hand holding the ball.. it's the only way I can describe it. I don't use any "pressing" on my fingers or thumb. The only pressure I feel is the ball resting on my palm, more on the base of my index finger.

RobLV1
10-17-2016, 04:32 PM
It's hard to tell because of the quality of the video, but the one thing that jumps out at me is the difference between the two shots. On the shot from the back view you are hitting up and lofting the ball onto the lane. On the side view, you seem to be dropping the ball. I think that the first thing that you need to do is to have your hand measured and your grip checked. Something is not adding up to consistency.

Tampabaybob
12-05-2016, 07:19 PM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1q8Noi-yEFxazlQREZaaS1YUmc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1q8Noi-yEFxWDZ4dFJkVk56QUU

any analysis would be great, thanks

Well, not to be a copy cat, but yeah the videos are a little grainy, but what the heck you were still able to get the main point across, so good job there.
Looking from the back.... what I'm seeing, is an approach that might be just a touch too fast. Noticeably, you're falling off your shot. Rule of thumb...If you fall to your right your feet are too fast, fall to your left your feet are too slow. So that's the first thing. 2nd you're taking a 5 step approach, but you're first step, which should help you slow down, should be a very short shuffle with your left foot. Don't take a step just slide your shoe 6-10 inches. your ball push away then goes out on your 2nd step (not the first shuffle). That should slow you down a bit.

Next, look carefully at the position of your right leg. If you can kick it out more to the left, it'll do 2 things for you; one it will definitely help with your balance and 2nd it'll get the ball in closer to your slide leg.

As far as you lofting the ball, try and release the ball closer to your shoe laces on your slide foot. You have a good amount of knee bend (2nd video), so it's not that you're going to the line stiff legged. I believe you're just hanging on to the ball too long.

You didn't say what type or weight ball you're throwing. When trying to analyze someone, it's always good to know what they're throwing. So let us know that.

Watch some of the release videos on You Tube that are slo mo and you'll see what I'm talking about with the release.

When you practice next time try to "post your shot" at the foul line. That means you remain in your balanced position until the ball drops off of the pin deck. .

Try these tips, get a better camera man (LOL) and send us some shots after you've done some more practicing. Let us know how you're doing or if you have any questions, just ask. Good luck.

LOUVIT
12-12-2016, 12:22 PM
It's hard to tell because of the quality of the video, but the one thing that jumps out at me is the difference between the two shots. On the shot from the back view you are hitting up and lofting the ball onto the lane. On the side view, you seem to be dropping the ball. I think that the first thing that you need to do is to have your hand measured and your grip checked. Something is not adding up to consistency.

I didn't notice that in the side shot Rob, But we also cannot see how the ball is reacting in either video. Timing and balance look fine to me. And I found out that thumb pitch plays a big part in your release.