PDA

View Full Version : Secretary & Treasurer fees

JaxBowlingGuy
10-15-2016, 07:12 PM
So what is your league secretary and treasurer fees? My wed league uses the same person for both (as voted on) so she gets $.25 for each position, from each bowler, each night.

They distributed the prize funds this past week and it had the year end fee on there and I never paid attention to how lucrative it could be. Her fee for the season was over $1,800.

1VegasBowler
10-15-2016, 07:21 PM
I've seen it range from .50 to $1/bowler/night.

While it appears to be lucrative, it ain't easy! lol

JaxBowlingGuy
10-15-2016, 07:26 PM
The house does all the scores in regards to inputting, printing recaps/standings and things to that nature. She has bowled on the pair next to me the first 6 weeks and it appears the job entails..

Collecting recaps (brought to her after bowling)
Collecting pay envelopes (brought to her before end of game 1)
Counting money
Giving money to the house

JaxBowlingGuy
10-15-2016, 07:28 PM
Based on the prize fund that was voted, she will make more from the league than a member of the 1st place team that also wins the roll off and gets team high game pay plus individual high game pay.

ep1977
10-15-2016, 07:54 PM
Based on the prize fund that was voted, she will make more from the league than a member of the 1st place team that also wins the roll off and gets team high game pay plus individual high game pay.

That's crazy!!! It's only acceptable if the position is voted on before each season.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-15-2016, 08:23 PM
It is voted on prior to the league along with the other league officers. I just never realized how much it added up to until I saw it on the money breakdown.

ep1977
10-15-2016, 08:59 PM
It is voted on prior to the league along with the other league officers. I just never realized how much it added up to until I saw it on the money breakdown.

Since it's voted on she isn't guaranteed to hold the position which makes it fair in my opinion.

fordman1
10-15-2016, 09:19 PM
I am sec./treas. of a 5 man 24 team league. I certified (sanctioned) for you dinosaurs 185 bowlers last season. You forgot that part. At the seasons end I was responsible for 55 thousand dollars getting to the right people. I was paid $1600 or forty cents per bowler for that work.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-15-2016, 09:28 PM
I am sec./treas. of a 5 man 24 team league. I certified (sanctioned) for you dinosaurs 185 bowlers last season. You forgot that part. At the seasons end I was responsible for 55 thousand dollars getting to the right people. I was paid $1600 or forty cents per bowler for that work.

The house handles the sanctioning as well. They also prepare and send in the forms for awards/honor scores.. the league is also TNBA sanctioned and the secretary doesn't do anything for that certification.

Now for the prize money, she's does separate it and put it in envelopes for the various teams.

vdubtx
10-16-2016, 12:21 AM
One of my leagues is $0.75 per bowler. The old dude does nothing though. Doesn't even keep envelopes updated. At end of season doesn't even calculate what each bowler may owe. For a 38 team 5 person league, that is a lot of money to do basically just sit and collect envelopes each week. He doesn't even bowl.

foreverincamo
10-16-2016, 04:57 PM
Think our secretary gets $100 flat fee. Should be higher to put up with a bunch of old farts like us.

JJKinGA
10-17-2016, 08:18 AM
have you ever tried to get the few dead beats in the league to keep up with the payments? To count verify and record the money is ~20 minuets of time each week and to get everything ready for payout is about 3 hours of work. Then there is the three to five bowlers that need something every week. If you have a good president it helps, but lots of time the secretary runs the league. Oh, and if the center does all that and is wrong, there is a lot of time that the Secretary spends getting the center to make it right. All that is worth something. I tend to think it is worth about $1 per team per week.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-17-2016, 10:21 AM
One of my leagues is $0.75 per bowler. The old dude does nothing though. Doesn't even keep envelopes updated. At end of season doesn't even calculate what each bowler may owe. For a 38 team 5 person league, that is a lot of money to do basically just sit and collect envelopes each week. He doesn't even bowl.

On a 32 week league that's $4,560!!! Making $142.5 a night

fortheloveofbowling
10-17-2016, 10:23 AM

Righteous bucks.

collinwho
10-17-2016, 10:54 AM
Ours gets $30/team/season. On an 8 team league, that ends up at $240 a year. He probably deserves a bit more.

NewToBowling
10-17-2016, 11:06 AM

Is this taxed. Does Uncle Sam have to know about this?

bowl1820
10-17-2016, 11:41 AM
Is this taxed. Does Uncle Sam have to know about this?

Yes, the Secretary is supposed to declare their salary as income and pay taxes.

USBC League Operations Handbook:

Tax Information: Declare Income
Declare your salary as income on state and federal returns. The IRS considers you self-employed.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-17-2016, 11:43 AM
Truth me told, I highly doubt very many are claiming it as income.

NewToBowling
10-17-2016, 11:50 AM
Truth me told, I highly doubt very many are claiming it as income.

Yeah if there isn't much of a paper trail and verifiable income not sure many will go the extra mile to declare it. Unless they get a 1099 at end of year

bowl1820
10-17-2016, 12:11 PM
When done properly, being a league secretary can be a lot work on a large league. Plus the costs for printing supplies, Software etc.

We had a man years back who was the secretary/treasurer for the big mens league here (32, 5 man teams). That was job on that league!

He was really good and efficient at it, He did everything the secretary was supposed to do. He even got personally bonded.

He'd make up envelopes for every team with all the paper work a team needed at the start of the season, end of season the same. standing sheets, individual player record sheets, prize money divided up and in envelopes for each team and player.

The secretary fee was well worth the work he put in. ( I don't remember the fee back then, something like .45¢ )

If anyone thinks being a league secretary is a easy job, try it sometime.

NewToBowling
10-17-2016, 12:40 PM
Who decides whether to upload league score sheets to league secretary?

Our competitive leagues are Tues, Wed, and Thurs. Tues and Thurs leagues are all regularly uploaded but Wed does not participate.

Mike White
10-17-2016, 12:54 PM
Righteous bucks.

Jeff Spicoli is still alive.

fortheloveofbowling
10-17-2016, 01:32 PM
Jeff Spicoli is still alive.

Our head mechanic has the ultimate set of tools..... He can fix it.
Fast times at the bowling center.
Nice catch mike.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-17-2016, 02:19 PM
Who decides whether to upload league score sheets to league secretary?

Our competitive leagues are Tues, Wed, and Thurs. Tues and Thurs leagues are all regularly uploaded but Wed does not participate.

Whoever does the scores for the league. They can upload for free and I actually requested my league do it this year due to the online tournaments requiring it.

vdubtx
10-17-2016, 04:00 PM

Righteous bucks.

37 weeks, $5272.50!!

Indeed it is righteous bucks.

SAbowler
10-17-2016, 04:15 PM
I don't mind paying the secretary a reasonable amount for keeping track of all the money and scores. It's worth it to me. What I hate is when the secretary can't be bothered to upload the score to league secretary in a timely manner. The standings should be updated within a couple of days of league night, tops. Quite often my Tuesday night league is not updated until Sunday, or Monday, or sometimes, even Tuesday afternoon.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-17-2016, 04:29 PM
I don't mind paying the secretary a reasonable amount for keeping track of all the money and scores. It's worth it to me. What I hate is when the secretary can't be bothered to upload the score to league secretary in a timely manner. The standings should be updated within a couple of days of league night, tops. Quite often my Tuesday night league is not updated until Sunday, or Monday, or sometimes, even Tuesday afternoon.

Ours is uploaded to the bowling alley website and as of now, my Wednesday league isn't updated from last week

Mike White
10-17-2016, 05:12 PM
Whoever does the scores for the league. They can upload for free and I actually requested my league do it this year due to the online tournaments requiring it.

Didn't leaguesecretary.com make a change where to upload, the secretary had to be using the BLS software?

And isn't the BLS software, and leaguesecretary.com created by the same people?

JaxBowlingGuy
10-17-2016, 07:05 PM
Didn't leaguesecretary.com make a change where to upload, the secretary had to be using the BLS software?

And isn't the BLS software, and leaguesecretary.com created by the same people?

Yes to both. All the centers around here use BLS but I potentially some places don't so if that's the case I don't think they could upload.

fordman1
10-17-2016, 07:26 PM
bowl.com has a site to upload to also.

Mike White
10-17-2016, 07:27 PM
Yes to both. All the centers around here use BLS but I potentially some places don't so if that's the case I don't think they could upload.

So it's really not free, it's an option included in the price of the BLS software.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-17-2016, 08:53 PM
So it's really not free, it's an option included in the price of the BLS software.

Did any of your leagues not use the CDE software? Considering it's pretty much the industry standard now days it pretty much a "free" bonus.

Mike White
10-17-2016, 11:31 PM
Did any of your leagues not use the CDE software? Considering it's pretty much the industry standard now days it pretty much a "free" bonus.

Only one league where I bowled at used CDE, the house did the sheets for all leagues except one.

The house uses something that AMF provided with the software for scoring, front desk registers, etc.

That one secretary purchased a copy of BLS, and produces her own sheets.

Coincidentally, that Secretary was one of the first secretaries around that used computer generated league sheets.

I know this because she was the secretary that handled the junior bowlers way back when I was a junior bowler.

When small computers first became available ('78) I got one, and wrote a league sheet program for it, and provided sheet service for juniors, and a couple of other leagues.