PDA

View Full Version : On average how many new balls do you buy a year?

NewToBowling
10-17-2016, 12:37 PM
And why do you buy new balls. Is it to replace old stock or trying to get latest and greatest.

Are you technical when you research and buy new ball or buy for looks or whatever PSO recommends.

I'm pretty non-technical when it comes to ball technology. I'll be honest, color gets me first (yeah, not smart). If it looks cool I'll be more drawn to it. Bowling on THS it hasn't hurt me much.

I do prefer polished balls probably due to drier house at my home center. Haywire is a sanded ball and wasn't usable to me OOB so now it's 3000 grit polished and basically that's the only ball I use.

dmet225
10-17-2016, 01:13 PM
When I first returned after an almost 20 year layoff, I bought 3 balls within the first 1.5 years (including a spare ball). Since then, I generally buy a new one for myself each Christmas.

I'm more of a stroker with decent speed, so I don't typically get into too much trouble with a ball hooking too much. For that reason, I've found myself getting asymmetrical balls with lots of hook potential. I don't get too worked up about pearl vs. hybrid vs. solid or polished vs. matte. vs. sanded.

mc_runner
10-17-2016, 01:35 PM
1 or maybe 2 a year depending on if I end up lucking into a bit of extra money (win the 50/50 raffle or something). When I buy them it's need-based and I do go on numbers and ball characteristics. I also almost never get a new ball when it first comes out, I wait to see reviews both online and if possible judge in real life. This has worked well for me so far. Recently have stuck with storm/roto and have a pretty decent idea of how a ball will behave based on its core and cover... one of the pluses of being a bit brand-dependent.

fokai73
10-17-2016, 01:38 PM
I used to be a ball whore. I used to be addicted to buying balls, new or older new ones on clearance. Or get free balls. Even when I knew a lot of the fancy words these ball companies used for their "NEXT BIG THING" it's all MARKETING, I still bought balls. I just liked buying balls.....

Because of my other hobby, kids, and garage space, I sold or gave away many of them - all of them. The current stock of 6 balls in the garage right now, I feel it's taking up space. I gave away 2 balls two weeks ago and I plan on giving away another - med/high end balls too with low games.

The last 5 years I get 2 balls a year (last year I didn't get any) on average. This year I got a new release (didn't pay for it) and I just recently bought a clearance ball from buddies just to try out.

A lot of time I don't need these balls and they just sit... entry level balls and urethane balls are all I need for the conditions I bowl on for leagues. but it is nice to get a fresh smelling new ball, or not so smelly nice looking new ball in your hands. it can be addicting......

zacks
10-17-2016, 01:47 PM
I had about a 4 year layoff and came back last winter. I used my old ball which was about a 10 year old Storm Ace (which to today's standards wasn't even legal on side weight), and that ball only last winter. That ball actually performed well for it's age, but I knew there was better technology and I couldn't imagine how many games were on that ball.

I spent the summer updating my arsenal. I bought two new strike balls and eventually added a plastic spare ball. I will likely stick with these balls for a couple seasons and would only replace if a ball became damaged.

I will probably add a ball or two depending on conditions I intend on dealing with. I currently bowl multiple leagues at one house on a very predictable house shot. I'm going to eventually bowl tournaments and possibly a different league that will require different equipment, so I know I will need to get at least one more ball, probably two.

Other than that, once you have a reliable arsenal for the conditions you think you will encounter, I don't see a need for constantly buying new balls unless the ones you are using are old or damaged.

And I always try to research what I want to buy, then decide what layout I'd like, then consult the PSO. It's always best going to the PSO with a plan and then listening to his thoughts rather than just going in blind. It gives him an idea of what you're looking for so he doesn't just pitch you what he has on the shelf with a standard benchmark layout. You really should know the technical aspects of your arsenal, especially if you're throwing multiple balls. It's pointless to have 2, 3, or 4+ strike balls if you can't properly accesses when to use each one and know how it will react to the conditions. If you don't want to get technical, it's best to keep it simple.

Oh, and to answer the main question, once I have established a full arsenal of about 5 balls, I bet I will probably be replacing one per year on average. The heavily used THS league balls will be replaced more frequently than the lesser used sport/tournament balls.

Mike White
10-17-2016, 02:28 PM
I had about a 4 year layoff and came back last winter. I used my old ball which was about a 10 year old Storm Ace (which to today's standards wasn't even legal on side weight), and that ball only last winter.

Can you clarify on the side weight issue.

The rules haven't changed related to side weight for a lot of years.

It's possible that if you don't use your thumb, the new rule there could alter what portion of the ball is considered left vs right compared to the same ball if you do use the thumb.

Amyers
10-17-2016, 02:29 PM
I bowl quite a bit so I tend to replace my most used THS balls every year and it's kind of fun to buy them. My lesser used sport shot balls tend to last a couple of years.

I don't care about color (currently have 2 black balls). I generally prefer mid line balls with surfaces 3k to polished with at least moderately higher RG sue to my lower speed. I usually spend a lot of time researching what I want before I buy it.

zacks
10-17-2016, 02:38 PM
Can you clarify on the side weight issue.

The rules haven't changed related to side weight for a lot of years.

It's possible that if you don't use your thumb, the new rule there could alter what portion of the ball is considered left vs right compared to the same ball if you do use the thumb.

I believe, and I may be wrong here, that back in the mid 2000's there was no rule on side weight. The ball was drilled with the grip to the left of the CG and MB, pin up and just right of ring. To make it legal, I just need to add a weight hole.

I use my thumb.

collinwho
10-17-2016, 02:55 PM
Generally 1 a year. I've found that I can bring 1-2 balls to league and be just fine, so anything else is for tournaments and sports shots and I don't currently bowl enough tournaments and sport shots to make it worthwhile to have an 8 ball arsenal.

SAbowler
10-17-2016, 04:18 PM
I average a couple of balls a year. Usually one around Christmas (after I get my yearly bonus) and one during the summer after some leagues pay out.

RobLV1
10-17-2016, 04:28 PM
I average 4-5 per year.

NewToBowling
10-17-2016, 04:38 PM
I only buy illegal balls so I have a stockpile of Jackal's :)

bowl1820
10-17-2016, 04:55 PM
I believe, and I may be wrong here, that back in the mid 2000's there was no rule on side weight..

Yes, There were static weight rules back in the 2000's they go back farther then that.

Mike White
10-17-2016, 05:05 PM
I only buy illegal balls so I have a stockpile of Jackal's :)

Jackals are only illegal for use in the USBC (and anything that uses USBC rules).

Go bowling with your buddies and use the Jackals all you want.

zacks
10-17-2016, 05:32 PM
Yes, There were static weight rules back in the 2000's they go back farther then that.

Well, maybe it was always illegal. The guy who drilled is still drilling balls out of his garage :/ I was young and this guy bowled in my league and offered. My center didn't have a pro shop at the time so it was convenient. Never bowled any honor scores with it, lol.

Both PSO's I currently use have said it is illegal by today's standards, I assumed that meant at one time it was legal.

Stormed1
10-17-2016, 07:36 PM
I buy probably 8-10 per year. Some i drill just so I can tell a customer this is what it does vs this is what they say it does. Most times when I drill something new I sell something I have. Most balls have less than 30 games on them when I sell or trade them

1VegasBowler
10-17-2016, 09:32 PM
Since my return in 2014, I bought 2 in 2015 (Thug Unruly & t Zone). This year I bought a Vandal, Ultimate Nirvana, & Fanatic BTU. I got a Rhino in a have a ball league and traded it for a Vintage Danger Zone with my PSO. And this past Saturday night I won a Nirvana and I'm going to trade it for a Vandal Smash with my PSO.

ytlas
10-17-2016, 10:08 PM
Well, maybe it was always illegal. The guy who drilled is still drilling balls out of his garage :/ I was young and this guy bowled in my league and offered. My center didn't have a pro shop at the time so it was convenient. Never bowled any honor scores with it, lol.

Both PSO's I currently use have said it is illegal by today's standards, I assumed that meant at one time it was legal.

Does your guy have an imbalance scale like a Kaufmann or AMF? The current PSO's haven't suggested a way of correcting the imbalance, like with a weight hole?

foreverincamo
10-17-2016, 10:12 PM
I haven't bought any this year. Won a Hammer Viral Hybrid and am getting a Brunswick Fanatic BTU for early Christmas present. Averaged 5 balls a year over the last few years.

Blomer
10-17-2016, 10:27 PM
I buy 2-3 a year. I could probably cut that down. This year bought two from a demo.

foreverincamo
10-17-2016, 10:58 PM
I buy 2-3 a year. I could probably cut that down. This year bought two from a demo..
Life is short. Buy 2-3 a year until you just can't !

Mike White
10-18-2016, 12:02 AM
I buy probably 8-10 per year. Some i drill just so I can tell a customer this is what it does vs this is what they say it does. Most times when I drill something new I sell something I have. Most balls have less than 30 games on them when I sell or trade them

You sound like Trump and his girlfriends.

When they hit 35 years of age, they're out.

Tony
10-18-2016, 01:50 AM
The last few years I have purchased / won more balls than usual averaging 2 to 3 a year, I've given away a few of them and currently have 6 including a plastic ball, I mainly use 2 of them plus the plastic ball.
Most balls I used research, plus the PSO, plus watching other guys using the ball to decide what ball to get, the latest one I had the PSO I bowl with watch my games and suggest a ball that would be a good first ball, so far I have used a a couple of games but don't have it dialed in yet to where I want it.

stargell1
10-18-2016, 02:32 AM
This year I have purchased five balls. Two storm, two motiv, and a hammer scandal. Can't say I prefer one over the others. The hammer hooks the most.

drlawsoniii
10-18-2016, 08:44 AM

That's some disposable income right there...

fortheloveofbowling
10-18-2016, 11:15 AM
I buy 4-6 a year usually and am thankful for that because some just never find a place in my bag other than practice. The problem with modern equipment and some guys is they don't realize they are limiting themselves with a wrong ball purchase. I tend to experiment a little for anticipated tournament conditions that don't work out. A 1 ball a year house shot guy really needs to consult with someone that knows their game and what they are trying to do on their conditions. I really hate seeing someone that averages a lot less than capable of because he is being shut out by a bad ball reaction and doesn't even realize it. Pre resin you knew where you were at compared to everyone else because the equipment was so much closer performance wise.

baker
10-18-2016, 11:30 AM
I'm usually 2-3 a year as well. Typically I'll replace my benchmark ball every year since it gets so much use, and then I usually have a ball or two in the arsenal that is ending it's useful life.

Last year I had a bad run where I just wasn't matching up with a couple balls so this year is looking like I'll need 3 or 4.

zacks
10-18-2016, 02:30 PM
Does your guy have an imbalance scale like a Kaufmann or AMF? The current PSO's haven't suggested a way of correcting the imbalance, like with a weight hole?

Yes they do and yes they have. I don't really have any intentions of using the ball anymore, but if I did I would get new inserts and add a weight hole.

1VegasBowler
10-18-2016, 02:38 PM
I buy 4-6 a year usually and am thankful for that because some just never find a place in my bag other than practice. The problem with modern equipment and some guys is they don't realize they are limiting themselves with a wrong ball purchase. I tend to experiment a little for anticipated tournament conditions that don't work out. A 1 ball a year house shot guy really needs to consult with someone that knows their game and what they are trying to do on their conditions. I really hate seeing someone that averages a lot less than capable of because he is being shut out by a bad ball reaction and doesn't even realize it. Pre resin you knew where you were at compared to everyone else because the equipment was so much closer performance wise.

IMO, I think some of this is related to the fact, that, he/she bought a ball that their favorite pro was using at the time and the ball doesn't match up to their game.

manke
10-18-2016, 02:50 PM
I usually get one or two depending on the year.

stargell1
10-19-2016, 05:50 AM

You mean it might be my wrong ball choices is the reason why I leave so many ten pins?

2handedsniper
10-19-2016, 09:17 AM
6 or 7

LOUVIT
10-20-2016, 03:46 PM
I came back in March 2016 after 25 years, the Track Heat was recommended to me. Since the ball I was using was 20 years old I said wow what a ball. I since won a Storm phaze from here, great looking ball but I find it hard to see how it's rolling with all them cotton candy colors. I start with the phaze every session and end up going back to my Track. Not due to the color but the Phaze at 11-12 mph just hits high after a game or so. I don't yet see the reason for many balls. I am content with 2. Although I could use a 10 pin ball.. I mean honestly why do you need 6, 8 or 10 balls? Not saying you don't but why? How can you be consistent throwing different balls all the time...remember I am ol skool!

edit....

I just read post #26 and kind of understand a bit more....

Amyers
10-20-2016, 04:09 PM
I came back in March 2016 after 25 years, the Track Heat was recommended to me. Since the ball I was using was 20 years old I said wow what a ball. I since won a Storm phaze from here, great looking ball but I find it hard to see how it's rolling with all them cotton candy colors. I start with the phaze every session and end up going back to my Track. Not due to the color but the Phaze at 11-12 mph just hits high after a game or so. I don't yet see the reason for many balls. I am content with 2. Although I could use a 10 pin ball.. I mean honestly why do you need 6, 8 or 10 balls? Not saying you don't but why? How can you be consistent throwing different balls all the time...remember I am ol skool!

edit....

I just read post #26 and kind of understand a bit more....

Lol Louvit. I used to wonder the same thing. Then I started bowling in multiple houses so I needed a few more. Then I started bowing on sport shot tournaments with my daughter and I really understood why some bowlers have so many balls. If your a single house bowler and they put down a reasonably consistent shot you can get by ok with 1 or 2. When you start bowling in different houses with different patterns and in my case switching from synthetics to wood and back you need a couple more. You really really can see the differences in balls when you start consistently throwing sport shots. I never understood the differences in drillings until I started watching and participating in sport condition bowling.

LOUVIT
10-20-2016, 04:49 PM
Lol Louvit. I used to wonder the same thing. Then I started bowling in multiple houses so I needed a few more. Then I started bowing on sport shot tournaments with my daughter and I really understood why some bowlers have so many balls. If your a single house bowler and they put down a reasonably consistent shot you can get by ok with 1 or 2. When you start bowling in different houses with different patterns and in my case switching from synthetics to wood and back you need a couple more. You really really can see the differences in balls when you start consistently throwing sport shots. I never understood the differences in drillings until I started watching and participating in sport condition bowling.

I guess I can see that, but since my house is 5 minutes from MY house I guess I'll be a one house man from now on. I watch the oil machine go up and down right before my league and my ball still flies the first frame...lol.. Maybe the oil machine is just for show..... 25+ years ago I shot action in many houses and I brought my one ball and cranked it no matter what.. dam shi!! has changed...lol...Even in my one house I need 2 balls...I would have one ball most likely if I didn't win the Phaze from here after I bought the track

zacks
10-20-2016, 05:08 PM
I guess I can see that, but since my house is 5 minutes from MY house I guess I'll be a one house man from now on. I watch the oil machine go up and down right before my league and my ball still flies the first frame...lol.. Maybe the oil machine is just for show..... 25+ years ago I shot action in many houses and I brought my one ball and cranked it no matter what.. dam shi!! has changed...lol...Even in my one house I need 2 balls...I would have one ball most likely if I didn't win the Phaze from here after I bought the track

I'm bowling one house on a consistent house shot. I have two balls that are fairly similar (Both Radical Ridiculous: one symmetrical one asymmetrical) and I find it helps to have an option to get the desired angle as the shot breaks down. I first bought just the symmetrical ball over the summer and struggled early in the night. As the shot broke down, the desired line came to the ball. When I added the asym. ball towards the end of summer, it was very clear the asym. gave a great look on fresh oil and the sym. gave a great look once the shot broke down. Truth is, both balls would work all night and I'd be able to score well with either, but I found a way to do better switching between the two based on what the lanes were giving me.

Now if I go bowl a sport league or even a different house, I could be in trouble. That's when I would build on my arsenal.

Turkey Track Hammer
10-20-2016, 07:26 PM
For those that buy more than 2 balls per year and have been for several years. What do you do with all them,does your garage or house have like 50 balls in it?

Amyers
10-21-2016, 09:14 AM
For those that buy more than 2 balls per year and have been for several years. What do you do with all them,does your garage or house have like 50 balls in it?

A few I keep for experimenting with different pitches and things like that. A lot I have donated to the youth leagues. With 4 bowlers in the house we have a lot of balls. Between all of us I really don't want to add up the number. We have 14 being actively used and a shelf full at the house.

Jessiewoodard57
10-24-2016, 10:07 AM
simple answer .....TOO MANY....started just adjusting surfaces instead

SAbowler
10-24-2016, 10:41 AM

I currently have about 10 balls laying around my house. Most of the time, the unused balls are either given away or they crack, so they get thrown away.

Chamiso
10-24-2016, 08:28 PM
I have currently been buying a ball a year. Increasing the weight of the ball each time. Now that I have reached a weight where I will get the actual core in the balls I buy, I will start buying balls with different types of cores and for different conditions to experiment to help learn about different ball specs and also for different tournaments I end up participating in each year. I will probably slow down on buying balls once I get at least 3-4 balls that I am happy with.