PDA

View Full Version : Hand problem question

foreverincamo
10-23-2016, 05:50 PM
Two years straight now I've been in this tournament and both times my hands have swollen up so badly I can't pull my wedding ring off my left hand and can't fit my right hand in any ball I brought with me for the tournament. My hand fit just fine on Thursday in league, and on Saturday when I got my equipment ready for today. But once again I had to fight getting my hand out of the ball all damn day. I had a great look at those lanes and instead of fighting to score I was fighting to just get out of the ball.
Any suggestions on how to get a hand to shrink fast and stay there when something like this happens? I don't have switch-grips but today I couldn't even get my fingers in the ball. Any ideas will be appreciated.

bowl1820
10-23-2016, 06:16 PM
Any suggestions on how to get a hand to shrink fast and stay there when something like this happens? I don't have switch-grips but today I couldn't even get my fingers in the ball. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Well you get your thumbhole sized at the larger size, then just use tape as you shrink. (basically what I do, my thumb is larger early and shrinks at night)

One trick you can do is take a thumb insert thats a little smaller than your thumb size and shove it on your thumb between making shots. Then take it off just before you make a shot, it compresses your thumb some so it will fit

(option if no thumb insert you can use a thin handkerchief, napkin or something similar, place it over your thumb and shove it and your thumb into the hole.).

Another place your thumb in a cup of ice, just make sure to dry it off good.

Another I seen done was keep holding your hand up, it looks silly but your hand drains down some.

Of course watch what you eat/drink before bowling, like lots of salt, liquids etc. that might make you swell some.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-23-2016, 07:38 PM
As for fingers you can change to vacu grips if they swell.

fordman1
10-23-2016, 07:52 PM
Changeable thumb grips that just screw in. Have spares with different sizes.

djp1080
10-23-2016, 08:25 PM
There are cohesive stretch wraps that you can wrap your fingers in and get the swelling to go down a bit. My thumb and fingers feel as though they're swollen when I start bowling especially in the morning. After a couple of shots or swinging the ball before hand I'm lucky enough to have no issues. The stretch wraps might be a quick solution and you might have to wrap up between shots to assure that the swelling doesn't return. You might want to consider consulting your doctor to see what's going on to cause this. Best of luck!

foreverincamo
10-23-2016, 08:37 PM
Never heard of vacu-grips before. Bowl1820, the ball I used today has a thumbhole I drilled specifically oversized. Normally, I have a piece of Grip tape in the front of the hole , and a piece of black 3/4 inch black tape on each side of the hole to tighten up on the sides of my thumb. I then use Hada tape on the back of my thumb to take up any slack and give me a clean release.
Even with no Hada tape and every piece of tape removed I had to cram my thumb in after using EasySlide and fight to get the ball off.

foreverincamo
10-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Last year I didn't have problem with my fingers but today even they wouldn't fit without cramming them into the grips. Annoying as hell

JaxBowlingGuy
10-23-2016, 08:41 PM
About half my balls are using the vacu grip set up now. For me it's more comfortable and helps late in the tournaments when my fingers start to swell

foreverincamo
10-23-2016, 10:18 PM
Could you imitate the results of a vacuum grip by merely glueing in your grip at the bottom ?

JaxBowlingGuy
10-23-2016, 10:24 PM
Could you imitate the results of a vacuum grip by merely glueing in your grip at the bottom ?

Not really. The top of the hole is drilled larger to allow the grip to stretch.

Mike White
10-23-2016, 10:45 PM

They way I drilled my inserts was to drill a 2" hole at 7/8" diameter (I used the thin wall inserts), then without moving the ball, swap the drill bit to 59/64" and drill 1"

I would only glue the insert in the lower half.

This would give the inserts the ability to shape themselves around my non-round fingers.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-23-2016, 11:06 PM
They way I drilled my inserts was to drill a 2" hole at 7/8" diameter (I used the thin wall inserts), then without moving the ball, swap the drill bit to 59/64" and drill 1"

I would only glue the insert in the lower half.

This would give the inserts the ability to shape themselves around my non-round fingers.

That's the same process I use just different sizes

larry mc
10-23-2016, 11:42 PM
if ur hand is swelling that much , i would go see a doctor , sounds like u could have a circulatory problem ,,, keep safe and keep bowling

ytlas
10-24-2016, 11:45 AM
I agree that you should consider seeing a doctor. It may be a more serious problem.

An old trick would be to put a handerchief over the thumbhole and press your thumb through it into the hole. That usually compresses the thumb enough to get off one or two shots. After your turn is over you sit with your thumb in the hole of your other ball until it's your turn again.

fokai73
10-24-2016, 12:36 PM
I've had swelling fingers depending how much I bowl, and/or what I eat, and/or the season, and/or the climate (mainland vs. overseas), and/or elevation. I struggled with thumb fit with a swollen thumb. But ever time I do, I can fix it right there.......

when I turned 40, this became a problem when I barely bowl, travel, and I changed to a healthier diet...... very strange.... so like the other two posters advised, I went and got some blood work. well it turns out I have issues that causes my hand to swell up real bad that I some times can't make a fist. I trained over 20 years to with my hands closed, making a fist punching things and knocking out ppl. I had a hand grip like a vice too!! but today at 40+ yrs of age, I can't even open a freak'n peanut butter jar for my boy without pain. I almost dropped my daughter when she was an infant cause I didn't feel the grip and my hand gave out on me.

I waited and changed pitches, hole sizes, added vent holes, blah blah blah.... I ignored my health... it doesn't hurt to see Dr.

I'm glad I did see my dr. and now I know... and it's just simple things that I can do to avoid pain and swelling extremities...

Mike White
10-24-2016, 01:06 PM
I agree that you should consider seeing a doctor. It may be a more serious problem.

An old trick would be to put a handerchief over the thumbhole and press your thumb through it into the hole. That usually compresses the thumb enough to get off one or two shots. After your turn is over you sit with your thumb in the hole of your other ball until it's your turn again.

This is when it's nice to have an interchangeable thumb slug.

Even if you don't have your bowling balls drilled to accept the interchangeable.

Between turns your thumb is in both the handkerchief and the thumb slug, which is MUCH easier to walk around with, than a whole bowling ball.

fordman1
10-24-2016, 03:32 PM
Changeable thumb grips that just screw in. Have spares with different sizes.

This is when it's nice to have an interchangeable thumb slug.

Even if you don't have your bowling balls drilled to accept the interchangeable.

Between turns your thumb is in both the handkerchief and the thumb slug, which is MUCH easier to walk around with, than a whole bowling ball.

Or you could try thumb cushions .
Fingers are a different problem Try soaking them in sider I mean Cider.
Or see a cancer Dr. it could be liver cancer.

foreverincamo
10-24-2016, 07:15 PM
Thanks for some of the ideas. Not sure how having swollen digits means I have cancer. Anyway I've had two full checkups this year for work including extensive blood work. Everything within normal parameters. I just think it's strange that I've walked into that building twice in two years and have hand problems both times. 4 hours after the tournament my hand was back to normal. Now I'll have to retape my thumb hole back up again before league Thursday.