PDA

View Full Version : Is using a ball cleaner during the game allowed?

TVan
10-26-2016, 12:48 PM
Is using a ball cleaner during the game allowed? I thought you could only do that before and after play.

Mike White
10-26-2016, 12:51 PM
Is using a ball cleaner during the game allowed? I thought you could only do that before and after play.

Assuming the product is intended to be used for bowling, it will say on the side of the package either, for use anytime, or for use before and/or after.

There also is a list of products on bowl.com, which will include products not directly intended for bowling, but are still allowable, or completely not allowable.

Amyers
10-26-2016, 02:25 PM

Unless the league has a specific rule against it and some do you can use any cleaner that is approved for anytime use as Mike stated read the bottle and check the league rules.

okfoz
11-04-2016, 10:33 AM
This is true, until you get to the nationals, I have been told that they will not let you use even "USBC Anytime approved" cleaners once the ball has been put into play. No one can explain it to me how something is "USBC Anytime approved" but not be used at a USBC sanctioned event.

JaxBowlingGuy
11-04-2016, 10:36 AM
Correct, they have a dry towel rule

1VegasBowler
11-04-2016, 10:40 AM
This is true, until you get to the nationals, I have been told that they will not let you use even "USBC Anytime approved" cleaners once the ball has been put into play. No one can explain it to me how something is "USBC Anytime approved" but not be used at a USBC sanctioned event.

This is true for most USBC, and all PBA events. However, the Tournament Director can allow it on a case by case basis if the conditions warrant it, such as having excess glue or belt marks on the ball.

Also remember this as well. While you can use the "Anytime Approved" cleaners, they must remain in their original containers.

For example. If you decide to use 2 different approved products, you cannot combine them in 1 bottle. If you get caught doing it, it's an automatic DQ.

If you want to use 2 different products in 1 bottle, you have to send it to the USBC and pay a fee to have it added to the approved list.

fokai73
11-04-2016, 11:52 AM
I'm in the minority who uses cleaners on certain number of frames during leagues.

And if I do tourney's, I double check the rules.