PDA

View Full Version : Ball sanding/polishing kit

Timmyb
10-28-2016, 06:15 PM
I have never come on here spouting any product before, so here goes. One of the things I was told by my PSO when I bought my Dark Legend was that it needed to be resurfaced every 10-12 games, based on his info from Hammer, from his own experience, and from another video out there that shows that your 2000 Abralon breaks down and is closer to 4000 after only 10 games (https://youtu.be/yLUEsSeOSh4 this was on 4 different balls). Anyway, I went out and bought the do-it-yourself SMarT Star ball sanding/polishing kit from Polish your Ball. Worked pretty damn well! Took a bit to figure out exactly how to keep the ball spinning, but I used the 2K Abralon pad, and I swear that ball looks like it did when it came out of the box! Found the kit on Amazon for something like $120. The one I bought came with about every Abralon pad made, the sanding cup, 2 polishing pads, a bearing cup, and a regular cup.

Pros--Not terribly hard to use, but takes a bit of learned finesse. Having been a machinist and tool grinder most of my adult life, not hard. If your mechanical skills are less than average, maybe stick with the PSO. I thought it was easy after a few minutes. Makes sure your batteries are charged up!
Easy pad changes--Velcro.
Bearing cup--works well.

Cons--Spinning pad holder flings **** everywhere when wet-sanding. be prepared for this. I'm covered in white dots right now.....
The "1-3 o'clock" motion they tell you to use doesn't really work. More like 1-2 to keep it spinning. Use 4-corner sanding instead of 2.
Might want to plug the holes. Stuff will get in there.
Did I mention it throws **** everywhere?

Will post Wednesday on how the ball performs.