PDA

View Full Version : Can different ball cores change your rev rate?

Hammer
10-30-2016, 06:58 PM
What I am talking here is if you throw each different ball the same way will it's core change the amount of revs you get out of it? Say you have ten different balls with different cores but you throw each one the same. Will some cores give you low revs and other cores give you more revs then other balls? So maybe your rev rate depends on what kind of core is in the ball. Just had this thought recently. What do you folks think?

RobLV1
10-30-2016, 07:11 PM
What I am talking here is if you throw each different ball the same way will it's core change the amount of revs you get out of it? Say you have ten different balls with different cores but you throw each one the same. Will some cores give you low revs and other cores give you more revs then other balls? So maybe your rev rate depends on what kind of core is in the ball. Just had this thought recently. What do you folks think?

NO!!!!!

Mike White
10-30-2016, 08:45 PM

The odds are VERY slim that all ten of your balls will result in the same moment of inertia at your PAP.

Using Newtons second law of motion, as it applies to rotating bodies:

torque = moment of inertia * angular acceleration

Using a bit of algebra

angular acceleration = torque / moment of inertia.

If the torque (how you release the ball) remains the same, and the moment of inertia differs from ball to ball, then the angular acceleration will likewise differ from ball to ball.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-30-2016, 09:08 PM
Could just be an illusion but I have thrown some balls that while going down the lane looking like they rev very slow as they go down the lane. Then others you can see the revs right off the hand. I also have one ball in particular that almost looks like a knuckle ball going down the lane

Mike White
10-30-2016, 09:11 PM
Could just be an illusion but I have thrown some balls that while going down the lane looking like they rev very slow as they go down the lane. Then others you can see the revs right off the hand. I also have one ball in particular that almost looks like a knuckle ball going down the lane

As far as that knuckle ball is concerned... stop trying that chest pass technique.

JaxBowlingGuy
10-30-2016, 09:22 PM
As far as that knuckle ball is concerned... stop trying that chest pass technique.

But But But that's how i bowled a 190!

JasonNJ
10-30-2016, 11:09 PM
But But But that's how i bowled a 190!

190!!! Go get your PBA card!!!

bowl1820
10-31-2016, 09:22 AM
So maybe your rev rate depends on what kind of core is in the ball. Just had this thought recently. What do you folks think?

No, Your rev rate depends on how you release the ball.

If you can only put 400 revs on a ball, having a different core in the ball won't give you 600.

mc_runner
10-31-2016, 10:30 AM
Your rev rate is off your hand. Your ball can get into a roll earlier or later that can have the illusion of having more or fewer revs. Another consideration is slight variances between balls (grips wear out, etc) that can alter your release a little bit, but that's probably not a major variance.

In short, no, it just looks that way.

ChuckR
10-31-2016, 11:21 AM
If the core has no, or minimal impact, on how a ball will rotate, then WHAT DOES IT DO?

Amyers
10-31-2016, 11:34 AM
If the core has no, or minimal impact, on how a ball will rotate, then WHAT DOES IT DO?

The core does effect how the ball rotates down the lane. Rev rate is measured off the hand not down the lane which is why it doesn't have an effect on that stat.

RobLV1
10-31-2016, 06:11 PM

The core has no impact on how much the ball will rev up, it does have a tremendous impact on when it will rev up.

Amyers
11-01-2016, 09:16 AM
The core has no impact on how much the ball will rev up, it does have a tremendous impact on when it will rev up.

Better stated than mine

Mike White
11-01-2016, 09:49 AM
The core does effect how the ball rotates down the lane. Rev rate is measured off the hand not down the lane which is why it doesn't have an effect on that stat.

Better stated than mine

How can it be better stated if it's just as wrong?

Under normal conditions:

The ball revs up twice, during each shot.

The first time is when the bowler releases the ball with some force causing rotation.

Once the ball leaves the bowlers hand, it stops revving up.

The ball remains at a constant rev rate until the ball encounters friction.

Until the ball reaches the state of rolling, it will continue to rev up.

When the ball revs up occurs due to the bowlers release, and friction, both of which are external to the ball's core.

How much the ball revs up is related to ball speed, initial rev rate, and if the ball encounters enough friction to achieve the roll state.

What the core affects is how quick the ball revs up compared to the force that causes the rev up.

Amyers
11-01-2016, 10:22 AM
How can it be better stated if it's just as wrong?

Under normal conditions:

The ball revs up twice, during each shot.

The first time is when the bowler releases the ball with some force causing rotation.

Once the ball leaves the bowlers hand, it stops revving up.

The ball remains at a constant rev rate until the ball encounters friction.

Until the ball reaches the state of rolling, it will continue to rev up.

When the ball revs up occurs due to the bowlers release, and friction, both of which are external to the ball's core.

How much the ball revs up is related to ball speed, initial rev rate, and if the ball encounters enough friction to achieve the roll state.

What the core affects is how quick the ball revs up compared to the force that causes the rev up.

So you don't believe that the core has any effect how far down the lane the ball is when rev's up? Not that any of this relates to the original question. Which was about rev rates which are measured off the hand so it can't be effected by core , cover, or surface.