PDA

View Full Version : Modern release vs Classic Release Pros and Cons

JasonNJ
10-31-2016, 11:08 PM
I just wanted to get some opinions on what people think is a better release and why? The reason why I'm asking is I'm 45 and throw a more classic release and I'm a straighter player with a high track and I tend to struggle with controlling my hook when the lanes break down. I've been fooling around with teaching myself a modern release and staying more behind the ball and getting a lot more forward roll and what seems to be a more controllable hook. I finished my league last year at 190 average and I'm down a little bit around 180 this year and just wanted to ask if it would be worth the time and effort to switch to a modern release.

2HandedSniper - I know you're going to make a stupid comment about bowling two-handed so save yourself the trouble and don't.

fokai73
11-01-2016, 02:57 AM
First off, from my experience in another sport, or martial arts, it's much easier for a younger person to develop the flexibility, speed, etc... vs a person who is older. Not to say an older person can't do it, but it's much harder, or it can take longer, or risk of injuries are higher - healing is longer too.

with that said, it's never too late to try. I am about your age and decided 3 years ago to give that "yo-yo" release a try. I did it on my own at first, and well, I hurt myself......to make along story short, I sought the help of a friend who is a coach to further guide me on this path. I also made a practice tool called the rev trainer which is sold online for $95 plus shipping. I made mine for less than $15.

http://stores.eileensbowlingbuddy.com/rev-ball-motion-trainer/

It took me over a year to get this release down, but the good part, it increased my rev rate over time. Not to mention my speed, but that was another "tweek" of my game. When I mean increase my rev rate, it's not 250 rpm to 350 rpm, but rather 15 to 20 rpm. Indirectly, it also increased my speed. For example, when I played up the boards, I'm normally around 16.5-17 mph. When I play inside the track (same hyroad) or deeper, I can be around 14.0 to 15.5+.... Now I am about 17.5-18.5 mph up the boards and around 16.0+/- 1 mph playing a bigger hook. My spare ball has always been 18.5 mph.

What I noticed since then, at times I can't control the backend with certain balls I own. I switched to more rolly or smoother balls. Going back to classic release, or taking off some hand, requires more mental effort on my part now compared to before. I find myself breaking my wrist at set up just so I don't rev or hook too much and/or too early. But, The good part about having more on the ball... I create more messengers, more light hit carries, my margin of error increased.

Just so you know, Tweener hell sucks especially if you create it yourself....

RobLV1
11-01-2016, 08:37 AM
I wrote an article on this subject a year or two ago in BTM. Just from the way you stated your problem, it's apparent that you don't understand the modern release. While working the inside of the ball is paramount to it, it's not about getting more forward roll. As you already track the ball high, you are already getting a lot of forward roll, probably so much so that getting the ball down the lane as the oil dries up is an issue. A modern release is more about release timing; rotating through the ball rather than around the ball. It also involves earlier overall timing. It's not an easy thing to do.

The bottom line from the article was this: unless you are willing to donate literally hundreds of hours to developing a modern release in order to bowl tournaments on various sport patterns, think twice before taking the time and effort to try and do it. If you decide to try it, get yourself a qualified coach who understands modern bowling to help you.

JasonNJ
11-01-2016, 09:52 AM
I wrote an article on this subject a year or two ago in BTM. Just from the way you stated your problem, it's apparent that you don't understand the modern release. While working the inside of the ball is paramount to it, it's not about getting more forward roll. As you already track the ball high, you are already getting a lot of forward roll, probably so much so that getting the ball down the lane as the oil dries up is an issue. A modern release is more about release timing; rotating through the ball rather than around the ball. It also involves earlier overall timing. It's not an easy thing to do.

The bottom line from the article was this: unless you are willing to donate literally hundreds of hours to developing a modern release in order to bowl tournaments on various sport patterns, think twice before taking the time and effort to try and do it. If you decide to try it, get yourself a qualified coach who understands modern bowling to help you.

Do you have a link to that article you wrote? You're right, I don't have a full grasp of the modern release which is why I asked my question and if this is something I'm going to pursue as a change I probably will find some coaching to help me with it.

NewToBowling
11-01-2016, 10:36 AM
To me modern release = EJ Tackett. Wes, Rash. Right?

RobLV1
11-01-2016, 02:48 PM
Do you have a link to that article you wrote? You're right, I don't have a full grasp of the modern release which is why I asked my question and if this is something I'm going to pursue as a change I probably will find some coaching to help me with it.

You would have to join the BTM site to see the article. It's $ well spent!

ep1977
11-01-2016, 03:17 PM
You would have to join the BTM site to see the article. It's $ well spent!

Post the link and if we do have a membership we can see it. If not it will ask to register.

RobLV1
11-01-2016, 03:53 PM
Post the link and if we do have a membership we can see it. If not it will ask to register.

Here's the link: https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowling-tips/working-the-inside-of-the-ball/

ep1977
11-01-2016, 04:04 PM
Thanks Rob!

JasonNJ
11-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Excellent article. I really enjoyed reading it Rob.

LOUVIT
11-03-2016, 04:41 PM
sorry to ask, what is considered modern and what is classic? is Modern behind the ball with thumb at like 1 o'clock and is classic more of a suitcase release.

ep1977
11-03-2016, 06:37 PM
sorry to ask, what is considered modern and what is classic? is Modern behind the ball with thumb at like 1 o'clock and is classic more of a suitcase release.

Usually the term modern release means the yo yo type release. EJ Tackett is a good example of the modern release.

RobLV1
11-03-2016, 06:46 PM
A classic release features a wrist that stays strong as the fingers turn around the ball. A modern release features unloading and loading the wrist in a yo-yo like motion and the fingers turn through the ball rather than around it. Another difference is the timing: traditional release usually required late timing to generate revs, while a modern release requires timing that is either early or leverage. Still another difference is the release timing. The traditional release featured very short release timing; very little time between the thumb exiting the ball and the fingers exiting to allow for lift. The modern release features much long release timing to avoid lifting; a definite no-no with modern bowling balls.

bowl1820
11-03-2016, 07:31 PM

Might take a look at this video:

Analysis of the modern 10-Pin Bowling Swing and Release #1

https://youtu.be/N5nnDbV0znE

LOUVIT
11-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Great video, I saved that one

bowl1820
11-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Great video, I saved that one

If you go look in the video forum there's a #2 of that video, also one for two handers. They are stickies at the top.

LOUVIT
11-05-2016, 02:07 PM
A classic release features a wrist that stays strong as the fingers turn around the ball. A modern release features unloading and loading the wrist in a yo-yo like motion and the fingers turn through the ball rather than around it. Another difference is the timing: traditional release usually required late timing to generate revs, while a modern release requires timing that is either early or leverage. Still another difference is the release timing. The traditional release featured very short release timing; very little time between the thumb exiting the ball and the fingers exiting to allow for lift. The modern release features much long release timing to avoid lifting; a definite no-no with modern bowling balls.

I think I got it, I was just taught the modern release and there are times I am in the middle of the 2 and it seems my fingers and thumb come out at the same time. Since I have an issue with my ring finger always hurting it's hard to release my fingers too much after my thumb. I may have arthritis or something in that finger, someday I'll check it out. I still find myself when I'm not thinking of being outside the ball