PDA

View Full Version : Ball drilling

Sandy
11-05-2016, 04:43 PM
I am new to reactive balls and have a question.
I was told by an experienced ball driller that my ball has not been drilled properly. If a ball hasn't been drilled properly will it affect the way the ball moves down the lane. Will it take away from the reaction I should be getting from the ball.
Thanks
Sandy. :confused:

Mike White
11-05-2016, 05:45 PM
I am new to reactive balls and have a question.
I was told by an experienced ball driller that my ball has not been drilled properly. If a ball hasn't been drilled properly will it affect the way the ball moves down the lane. Will it take away from the reaction I should be getting from the ball.
Thanks
Sandy. :confused:

It depends on the reason it's considered not drilled properly.

It could be that the sizes of the holes, distances between the holes (spans), or the angles of the holes (pitches) are drilled into the ball don't match your hand.

It's also possible that how the core is positioned before drilling doesn't match how you release the ball.

It could cause the ball to have less reaction than what you need, or it could cause the ball to have more reaction than you need.

The worst case is it causes the ball to roll over either the finger holes, or thumb hole.

Since you say you're new to reactive resin balls, the person who drilled the ball only had your hand size as a firm target in drilling a ball for you.

How you release the ball will change when you're new.

What are the odds your first attempt at releasing the ball ends up being what is most comfortable, repeatable, and effective for you?

As long as the ball isn't hurting your hand, give it some time so you can find what is comfortable, and repeatable.

Then work on the release being effective.

Consider how the ball is drilled to increase or decrease reaction as the last layer of icing on the cake.

Amyers
11-07-2016, 09:40 AM
I agree with mike if it is a fit issue take care of it. If its a layout issue develop your game before worrying about it