PDA

View Full Version : Help

dustypat99
11-13-2016, 10:59 PM
I'm a relivent new bowler been bowling about 4 months or so I throw a gold rhino pro about 15.8mph I've been told I need a ball that moves more help please

1VegasBowler
11-13-2016, 11:02 PM
Moves more in what way?

dustypat99
11-13-2016, 11:05 PM
Hook

1VegasBowler
11-13-2016, 11:12 PM
If you're new to bowling, I think it would be better to start of easier than with the Gold Rhino Pro. It's a high performance ball.

But it isn't all about how much a ball hooks, but where it hooks and when. I much prefer balls with strong continuation instead of being angular.

But if you want a huge amount of hook you can go for the Brunswick Absolute Nirvana or the DV8 Grudge.

JasonNJ
11-14-2016, 01:45 AM
I think going with a ball with more hook is the wrong way to go. The Gold Rhino Pro can hook plenty. I think being a new bowler it's more important to learn how to release the ball properly and you'll see that the your ball will hook just fine. You'll also learn that you need different balls for different lanes conditions and not necessarily more hook.

1VegasBowler
11-14-2016, 02:26 AM
I think going with a ball with more hook is the wrong way to go. The Gold Rhino Pro can hook plenty. I think being a new bowler it's more important to learn how to release the ball properly and you'll see that the your ball will hook just fine. You'll also learn that you need different balls for different lanes conditions and not necessarily more hook.

I agree with this 100%.

And as a Brunswick staffer, I can only recommend balls in the Brunswick family line.

What I would also add to this, is, to get a coach.

RobLV1
11-14-2016, 07:24 AM
All balls with the same kind of cover material hook the same amount based on the release of the bowler. The difference is when they hook. Don't worry about another ball. Get a coach and learn how to release the ball to get the hook you want.

Amyers
11-14-2016, 09:46 AM
I agree with the other comments. The Rhino Pro is plenty of ball for THS conditions. If it's not hooking it's a you problem not a ball problem.

bowl1820
11-14-2016, 10:45 AM
I'm a relivent new bowler been bowling about 4 months or so I throw a gold rhino pro about 15.8mph I've been told I need a ball that moves more help please

Since no one else has mentioned it, Before looking to get a new ball. Try some surface adjustments first, a couple of bucks for some abralon pads or letting the PSO throw it on the spinner is a lot cheaper than a new ball.

Then you can better decide if a new ball is needed and if so what you need in a new ball or what your looking for it to do for you.

1VegasBowler
11-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Since no one else has mentioned it, Before looking to get a new ball. Try some surface adjustments first, a couple of bucks for some abralon pads or letting the PSO throw it on the spinner is a lot cheaper than a new ball.

Then you can better decide if a new ball is needed and if so what you need in a new ball or what your looking for it to do for you.

I'm not going to disagree with you where it concerns surface adjustments, because it will have an impact.

But, I'm not a fan of surface adjustments and I'll never disagree with those that do. I just prefer to keep mine with the OOB surface. And maybe it's because I'm fortunate enough to have an arsenal that is diverse enough to make adjustments with a particular ball/balls.

AlexNC
11-14-2016, 02:08 PM
I'm not going to disagree with you where it concerns surface adjustments, because it will have an impact.

But, I'm not a fan of surface adjustments and I'll never disagree with those that do. I just prefer to keep mine with the OOB surface. And maybe it's because I'm fortunate enough to have an arsenal that is diverse enough to make adjustments with a particular ball/balls.

I think I get what you are trying to say, but at least in my mind, every time you roll a ball down the lane you are already changing the OOB finish little by little. Its not going to hurt your equipment to experiment with different surfaces. The underlying peaks and grooves on your OOB finish will smooth out over time - hence why it can be beneficial to refresh/resurface at intervals.

That being said, I don't think the OP provides enough information to get an effective answer. As others mentioned, coaching is the way to go - I wish I didn't wait so long before I had some sessions with a qualified coach.

NewToBowling
11-14-2016, 02:17 PM
Keep in mind although they state a certain surface OOB that isn't always the case. Depending on when they changed those pads at the factory the surface may not be exactly what it states. Also OOB is very hard to replicate so resurface to what you want and you will always be able to replicate that surface.

RobLV1
11-14-2016, 02:59 PM
To add to what AlexNC said, I once researched an article for BTM and found that 60% of the time the Ball Reviewers had to change the surface to get a reaction that worked for their particular style. Sticking with an OOB surface all the time whether or not you are on a particular staff makes no sense... it is just severely limiting the balls that you can use effectively.

jab5325
11-14-2016, 03:27 PM
I'd invest in lessons sooner than a new ball.....but that's just me. Once a good coach gets to know your style, he/she will likely be able to recommend a ball that suits your needs.

1VegasBowler
11-14-2016, 03:54 PM
To add to what AlexNC said, I once researched an article for BTM and found that 60% of the time the Ball Reviewers had to change the surface to get a reaction that worked for their particular style. Sticking with an OOB surface all the time whether or not you are on a particular staff makes no sense... it is just severely limiting the balls that you can use effectively.

To be clear, I don't do it for the reason I highlighted here. I do it out of preference. It also doesn't mean that I will always stick to it either. Being a staffer has nothing to do with my surface preferences. And I'm not saying this in a tone that could be construed as being testy or anything of the like.

As I have said before, I do not disagree with changing the surface of the ball and I certainly will not argue against it.

J Anderson
11-15-2016, 10:12 AM

My question is why are people, I'm assuming there's probably more than one person, telling you this?

Is it because your ball isn't making it back to the pocket? Are balls that appear to hit the pocket not carrying? Is it a teammate who thinks that because he sets up on board 40 and sends the ball out to the edge of the gutter you should too? Is it some one from the pro shop trying to sell you another ball?

1VegasBowler
11-15-2016, 10:37 AM
My question is why are people, I'm assuming there's probably more than one person, telling you this?

Is it because your ball isn't making it back to the pocket? Are balls that appear to hit the pocket not carrying? Is it a teammate who thinks that because he sets up on board 40 and sends the ball out to the edge of the gutter you should too? Is it some one from the pro shop trying to sell you another ball?

There are many thing that could be affecting the movement of the ball, especially with a big ball like the Rhino Pro.

It could be the way it's drilled or the way you're releasing the ball, or maybe a combination of the 2.

Either way, the best advice is to get a coach and see what's good and/or bad about what you're doing. They'll certainly find both while reinforcing the good and correcting the bad.