PDA

View Full Version : What part of your physical game always gets you in trouble or into slumps

NewToBowling
11-14-2016, 02:53 PM
For me when I'm on a roll I can feel the ball rolling off my hand. When I get into slumps (first 2 games last night in league) it is usually because my swing plane is off the the side instead of under my head and thus hand gets on the outside of the ball vs behind it. I lose that "rolling off my hand" feel and it feels like I'm top spinning the ball.

I can't sustain the muscle memory of hand behind ball. I've been so used to trying to over rotate my hand around the ball vs through it.

RobLV1
11-14-2016, 03:00 PM
Only one thing ever gets me into trouble: TIMING, TIMING, AND TIMING!!!

JasonNJ
11-14-2016, 03:12 PM
Mine is footwork and spine tilt. My footwork can get sloppy and I'm all over the place. Too much spine tilt or too little spine tilt and my arm swing getting a little loopy.

jab5325
11-14-2016, 03:22 PM
I'll echo Rob--timing, timing, timing......and timing.

That said, most of my timing problems can be attributed to mental lapses and just not being "in" to it. When I'm "in" to it and not letting life's problems get in the way, I throw 200+. If I'm not "in" to it mentally, timing gets off and I throw somewhere south of 180.

NewToBowling
11-14-2016, 03:27 PM
In addition to my original post drifting is also an issue. I will tend to drift right if I'm not thinking about it. I have to consciously tell myself to walk straight or a bit to the left. This helps with keeping my swing plane under my head.

jab5325
11-14-2016, 03:29 PM
In addition to my original post drifting is also an issue. I will tend to drift right if I'm not thinking about it. I have to consciously tell myself to walk straight or a bit to the left. This helps with keeping my swing plane under my head.

Yes, I have a drifting habit too! Glad to see there's more than one of us out there.

Interestingly, I have a 210+ teammate who drifts an entire half-lane and throws about 10-12mph. It works though--he's better than me.

NTB, not to change the subject.....but how are you doing this year? I've been away from the board for a while and am wondering how you're hitting the pins! Hope all is well.

ep1977
11-14-2016, 03:31 PM
Balance......I've been working on this a lot lately

1VegasBowler
11-14-2016, 03:56 PM
My biggest issue is when I try to muscle the ball. And while I'm certainly better at it, I still have a way to go.

NewToBowling
11-14-2016, 04:02 PM
Yes, I have a drifting habit too! Glad to see there's more than one of us out there.

Interestingly, I have a 210+ teammate who drifts an entire half-lane and throws about 10-12mph. It works though--he's better than me.

NTB, not to change the subject.....but how are you doing this year? I've been away from the board for a while and am wondering how you're hitting the pins! Hope all is well.

Getting better. 196 and 192 in my two leagues. Started off slow but getting the hang of it. When I'm on I fell like I can't miss. Other times I'm just happy to not leave a split.

jab5325
11-14-2016, 04:14 PM
Getting better. 196 and 192 in my two leagues. Started off slow but getting the hang of it. When I'm on I fell like I can't miss. Other times I'm just happy to not leave a split.

Awesome! Congrats--you're doing fantastic. You should consider changing your message board name with averages like those.

Timmyb
11-14-2016, 07:35 PM
Footwork. I have a tendency to get my feet behind my swing, to the point that I've actually hit my right leg (I'm right handed) coming through.

NewToBowling
11-14-2016, 09:12 PM
I didn't know that was an option

fortheloveofbowling
11-14-2016, 09:22 PM
Footwork. I have a tendency to get my feet behind my swing, to the point that I've actually hit my right leg (I'm right handed) coming through.

That is a new one. Never heard of or seen that happen.

Timmyb
11-14-2016, 10:22 PM
That is a new one. Never heard of or seen that happen.

Here and there. It usually doesn't cause a lot of mayhem, usually I just feel it tug at my jeans. Most times, I can feel it coming and stop, but not always.

AlexNC
11-15-2016, 08:20 AM
My left (balance arm) has gotten me into trouble lately. I have a tendency to let it come up too much throwing my balance off to the right.

mc_runner
11-15-2016, 10:32 AM
Here and there. It usually doesn't cause a lot of mayhem, usually I just feel it tug at my jeans. Most times, I can feel it coming and stop, but not always.

Same, this happened to me the other week and I shot it off my leg and into the gutter. Surprised the heck out of me, too. First time for everything I guess.

1VegasBowler
11-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Same, this happened to me the other week and I shot it off my leg and into the gutter. Surprised the heck out of me, too. First time for everything I guess.

This has happened to me as well, and it sure makes you feel like crap when you toss one into the gutter.

This happened to Rob Johnson a couple of weeks ago during practice, but he nailed his ankle. Bad. His ankle blew up like a hot air balloon. Didn't break it, but it was ugly. I saw the pic of it and I could feel the pain!

Fortunately he's back bowling.

foreverincamo
11-15-2016, 10:48 AM
I've been revamping my entire approach for the last two years. When my timing is good, and the ball fits just right in my hand, everything feels effortless. My feet get a little fast and my timing gets late, everything falls apart.

mc_runner
11-15-2016, 11:17 AM
This has happened to me as well, and it sure makes you feel like crap when you toss one into the gutter.

This happened to Rob Johnson a couple of weeks ago during practice, but he nailed his ankle. Bad. His ankle blew up like a hot air balloon. Didn't break it, but it was ugly. I saw the pic of it and I could feel the pain!

Fortunately he's back bowling.

I've done this too, but at least that's the left leg and a little less surprising (although more painful). When you're so off on your timing that you hit your right leg, it's really unexpected and means you haven't even cleared your second to last step before the ball's ready to come out.

collinwho
11-15-2016, 11:54 AM
The biggest issue for me is pulling the ball. I will square my shoulders up to the lane instead of my target at miss left, sometimes by a lot. My other big issue is that if I get too frustrated with pulling the ball I will start to do everything too carefully and at that point my entire approach can just fall apart.

Timmyb
11-15-2016, 06:10 PM
I've done this too, but at least that's the left leg and a little less surprising (although more painful). When you're so off on your timing that you hit your right leg, it's really unexpected and means you haven't even cleared your second to last step before the ball's ready to come out.

I usually look back and tell myself "damn, Tim, that was horrible". It's never been bad enough to knock it into the gutter, though. Usually just feel a brush. Does freak you out a bit!

okfoz
11-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Chicken Wing! Hate it. For some reason I struggle with this more than anything, it is always when I start pulling it.

Sche3067
11-16-2016, 11:46 AM
pushing my ball through when i should just let it come down is my biggest problem.

Lancerdad34
11-17-2016, 12:06 AM
Taking my eye off the target is what gets my game off. I found that staying with my pre shot routine helps to keep me focused on my target. If I let my mind wander that is when I get inconsistent.

LOUVIT
11-17-2016, 05:32 PM
The biggest issue for me is pulling the ball. I will square my shoulders up to the lane instead of my target at miss left, sometimes by a lot. My other big issue is that if I get too frustrated with pulling the ball I will start to do everything too carefully and at that point my entire approach can just fall apart.

I just started a thread on my issue of pulling the ball after a game or so. Have no clue why I do this.