PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible I just get tired?

LOUVIT
11-16-2016, 04:39 PM
First game I can wheel it out and and hit the 1-3 most shots even light hits sometimes. after a game and a half I for no apparent reason just start pulling the ball on almost all shots? Yes I do move to the left as the lanes change so it's not a matter of me not adjusting. I just can't seem to get the ball on the right side of the lane. I do admit I do get hot and tired but I concentrate on getting it out so much you'd think that would over come the tiredness....:confused:

mc_runner
11-16-2016, 04:50 PM
You might want to try just slowing it down (edit - by this I mean your approach & especially swing, not ball speed). I get into trouble when I start thinking about how I'm tugging it, start making tweaks trying to fix it, and end up muscling it and making the problem worse. The way to fix it (at least for me) is to get back to basics, and try to focus ONLY on the mark and then posting the shot. It's been said but if you can post the shot, your timing issues resolve themselves and you're gonna be way closer to the mark you want.

Sometimes that realization is easier said than done, especially in the moment.

JasonNJ
11-16-2016, 04:55 PM
Maybe you are concentrating too much. Try to relax and not think so much about it. A coach told me once, you concentrate and do all your practices so you can relax your mind and just perform when it counts.

LOUVIT
11-16-2016, 07:10 PM
as far as slowing down I only through 12.5 on a good day, but I do think when I start pulling it I do try to muscle it...I'll work on that...I need to concentrate on revs and not mph ..correct?

I may be getting over confident, like today I threw a fast 8 then a triple then a 10 pin then a couple of high pocket splits. then I try to force the ball out after the splits and it all falls apart and I over think every shot after. Then I move on the approach and lose everything

Blomer
11-16-2016, 07:19 PM
Maybe want to switch to the basketball pass technique.

Tampabaybob
11-17-2016, 07:32 AM
Overthinking...... Yes, I too, now just about 70 in a couple of weeks, get hot and get tired. But, remember what I've told you....bowlers are stubborn. Did you change to a less aggressive ball? No? why? You know the lanes are going to break down during the 2nd game, right? So you have a few choices, move left, which evidently is not working, or change balls. I know you dont have a huge arsenal, but one ball has to be less aggressive than the other, so that's one of your only options. The other is to use your "old" ball, polish it up so it'll go longer, and try that one during the 3rd game. Remember before you bought the track, how much the older one "wasn't hooking"? Use it to your advantage. I'll be at the lanes Saturday till about 1pm if you want to throw a few games.

Amyers
11-17-2016, 09:47 AM
First game I can wheel it out and and hit the 1-3 most shots even light hits sometimes. after a game and a half I for no apparent reason just start pulling the ball on almost all shots? Yes I do move to the left as the lanes change so it's not a matter of me not adjusting. I just can't seem to get the ball on the right side of the lane. I do admit I do get hot and tired but I concentrate on getting it out so much you'd think that would over come the tiredness....:confused:

My guess would be that as you move left you have a greater tendency to walk right moving the body into the swing plane. When that happens the balls starts wrapping around your body and you pull the ball. A good way to check this is watch what board you start on and after you release check what board your foot is on. My guess is you walking 3 boards or more right during your approach.

fordman1
11-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Lou
Getting hot and tired for a senior is normal.
Pulling, tugging what ever you want to call it is mental. I can give advice but would get criticized for not saying go see a coach. Just relax and project the ball farther down the lane. The more you think about it the worse it will get.

djp1080
11-17-2016, 12:28 PM
as far as slowing down I only through 12.5 on a good day, but I do think when I start pulling it I do try to muscle it...I'll work on that...I need to concentrate on revs and not mph ..correct?

I may be getting over confident, like today I threw a fast 8 then a triple then a 10 pin then a couple of high pocket splits. then I try to force the ball out after the splits and it all falls apart and I over think every shot after. Then I move on the approach and lose everything
Let's say that you were hitting your target area okay perhaps at the dots or the arrows kind of like I was doing just last night. I didn't see that much transition happening for where I was playing until towards the end of game 2. All I did to keep from going Brooklyn was to change the position of my index finger to make it closer to my middle finger which was lots better. If that didn't work, my next change would have been to spread my pinkie finger out away from the ring finger to attempt to cut down on the number of revs. The next move would be to go to a nice clean shiny ball. :)
Hope this helps...

djp1080
11-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Here's a link to an interesting post that might help, too: https://www.bowlingball.com/BowlVersity/bowling-fitness-
If you do a search on the internet for "bowling fitness", there are lots more articles out there including those from the USBC Bowling Academy and Bowling This Month.

LOUVIT
11-17-2016, 05:11 PM
Overthinking...... Yes, I too, now just about 70 in a couple of weeks, get hot and get tired. But, remember what I've told you....bowlers are stubborn. Did you change to a less aggressive ball? No? why? You know the lanes are going to break down during the 2nd game, right? So you have a few choices, move left, which evidently is not working, or change balls. I know you dont have a huge arsenal, but one ball has to be less aggressive than the other, so that's one of your only options. The other is to use your "old" ball, polish it up so it'll go longer, and try that one during the 3rd game. Remember before you bought the track, how much the older one "wasn't hooking"? Use it to your advantage. I'll be at the lanes Saturday till about 1pm if you want to throw a few games.

Bob it's not overhooking where I can adjust. It's me actually not being able to get the ball on the right side of the lane after a game or so. Can it be after a game or so my thumb starts sticking? Doesn't feel like it...I think. It's like I'm either holding the ball too long (that's the way it feels but why?) or my arm just wont go that way after a game or so.I have the Phaze and the less aggressive Track. For some reason i favor the Track I think the Phaze needs some thumb hole adjustments.

I for sure need another session with you....

Tampabaybob
11-19-2016, 05:44 AM
Now that you say that you may be holding on too long, that's a very possible thing. You "should be" releasing by your shoe laces. If you're holding on longer than that, that's a problem. It's something we can work on, though. Today, Saturday, will be the last Saturday that i'll be available for the rest of the year. Have other pressing things going on, like a birthday vacation to Las Vegas on the 11th - the 18th. Let me know when you're ready, and we'll schedule a time to meet. We can fix this problem, don't worry.

LOUVIT
11-20-2016, 04:50 PM
Now that you say that you may be holding on too long, that's a very possible thing. You "should be" releasing by your shoe laces. If you're holding on longer than that, that's a problem. It's something we can work on, though. Today, Saturday, will be the last Saturday that i'll be available for the rest of the year. Have other pressing things going on, like a birthday vacation to Las Vegas on the 11th - the 18th. Let me know when you're ready, and we'll schedule a time to meet. We can fix this problem, don't worry.

I think it's all your fault anyway, lol....J/K I love the way you loft the ball and it just takes off. I tried it a few times and I think I try it without realizing after I start having issues with pulling which of course makes it worse. Also since I started a P/T job I have only been bowling once a week. I need my Monday and Thursday practice sessions. I also need to have the Phaze thumb hole worked on. I want to make that ball work for me.

foreverincamo
11-20-2016, 10:09 PM
As far as the speed goes, my coach doesn't put much faith in the readings. Reason being the sensor reacts differently to the different possible entry angles the ball can take to the pocket. The sensor could say your ball speed is slower but it's actually being read a tad longer within its zone because of a greater angle.

LOUVIT
11-20-2016, 11:07 PM
As far as the speed goes, my coach doesn't put much faith in the readings. Reason being the sensor reacts differently to the different possible entry angles the ball can take to the pocket. The sensor could say your ball speed is slower but it's actually being read a tad longer within its zone because of a greater angle.

I've been told my revs are ok compared to my 12.5 posted speed. But as you say is it 12.5? I do think they vary since sometime I think I come over the top of the ball when I hold it too hard or long...Like bob said, I need to be watched and get out there more.

Mike White
11-20-2016, 11:12 PM

In addition, getting and keeping the sensors properly calibrated usually isn't a priority for most centers.

Tony
11-21-2016, 10:41 AM
A respected coach one told me that because most casual bowlers have a tendency to drift a little right, that once you've moved your feet left between 5 and 10 boards instead of continuing to try and move you should switch to a different ball that allows you to stay in your comfort zone. For me thats between boards 20 and 25 throwing over 8 to 12 .
Also being tired is certainly a factor, consider where you sit when not bowling and if you sit at a table back from the lanes try moving and staying right down by the approach for a series and see if that changes your fatigue level.

fordman1
11-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Tony if you are a casual bowler why would you want to sit right behind the lanes and not back at a table where all your friends or team mates are.

Lou if you are almost 70 then it is normal to get tired in the 3rd game. Do you feel like you have slowed down in any other activity? Ask your wife or who ever you sleep with.

If a ball is timed at 12 miles an hour and going straight and another is timed at 12 mph but it is hooking from the left gutter to the right gutter are they going the same speed? lol:confused:

Tampabaybob
11-21-2016, 07:42 PM
I think it's all your fault anyway, lol....J/K I love the way you loft the ball and it just takes off. I tried it a few times and I think I try it without realizing after I start having issues with pulling which of course makes it worse. Also since I started a P/T job I have only been bowling once a week. I need my Monday and Thursday practice sessions. I also need to have the Phaze thumb hole worked on. I want to make that ball work for me.

That's ok, you can blame it on me. I've got broad shoulders. :) A couple of things has me wondering....are you still shooting the right hand hash mark? I really believe that is your key to bowling well. As I mentioned before at the lanes, every time you came within a board left or right of that hash mark or hit it, your ball was solid in the pocket. I have a feeling that you're looking up to soon, ie; before you release the ball. And that will "always" make you pull a shot left.

By the way, for you and the other posters, when the computer reads your ball speed as 12 mph, that's 3' from the pins. A ball will normally slow down (due to friction) anywhere from 2 -4 mph from the point of release. So my guess is you're probably releasing at about 14 to 14 1/2 mph.

LOUVIT
11-23-2016, 03:21 PM
That's ok, you can blame it on me. I've got broad shoulders. :) A couple of things has me wondering....are you still shooting the right hand hash mark? I really believe that is your key to bowling well. As I mentioned before at the lanes, every time you came within a board left or right of that hash mark or hit it, your ball was solid in the pocket. I have a feeling that you're looking up to soon, ie; before you release the ball. And that will "always" make you pull a shot left.

By the way, for you and the other posters, when the computer reads your ball speed as 12 mph, that's 3' from the pins. A ball will normally slow down (due to friction) anywhere from 2 -4 mph from the point of release. So my guess is you're probably releasing at about 14 to 14 1/2 mph.

ok today, first game not bad 170+ getting the ball to the right side and under it. 3rd frame of second game started pulling up to the 5th frame when I remembered you said release the ball at the line..... It worked!!
I STARTED COMING OUT OF THE BALL DURING THE END OF MY SLIDE AND HAD A SMOOTH ROLL AND BACK OUT TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE LANE. (excuse the caps, typo). It did seem that the track ball did not come up as hard down lane but I adjusted for that. Shot 196 and converted a 4-9-6....yes a 4-9-6 by sliding the 4 in front of the 9 to take out the 6.

I can't wait to have my Phaze span corrected to mimic my track span.

Tampabaybob
11-23-2016, 09:03 PM
Lou, remind me next time I see you to also go over the "several" hand positions you can use to change the reaction of your ball. It reminded me when one of the posters said something about changing his. There are MANY different positions you can use, you just have to know which one to use and when.

LOUVIT
11-24-2016, 05:01 PM
Lou, remind me next time I see you to also go over the "several" hand positions you can use to change the reaction of your ball. It reminded me when one of the posters said something about changing his. There are MANY different positions you can use, you just have to know which one to use and when.

Bob thanks to you my hand position is not an issue anymore. I'm either at 1-2 o'clock all the way to the release. I love the feeling of the ball leaving my fingers under the ball. that is one of the things I do NOT have to think about anymore. I just get a little annoyed because the Track doesn't make that hard turn down lane. I need to get my span on the Phaze made longer 1/4" I am just not sure about the pitch for the Phaze i have 1/4" on both I'm thinking 3/8th on the Phaze with the longer span and that ball should come back strong...I am actually making 10 pins with the Track......

Tampabaybob
11-26-2016, 08:06 AM
Sounds good. I knew once you "felt it" and saw the reactons of the balls, you would know it was right. The mind tends to make you drift back to the old ways until it feels that correct sensation. You'll be fine. How are you doing hitting that hash mark? That's your key to more strikes. We'll get you all the way back on track. Keep the faith.

Bob