PDA

View Full Version : Bowling ball costs

Sandy
11-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Bowling in Australia is an expensive recreation. I bought a storm Fight which is advertised for around $120 usd, here in Australia it cost me $285 aus. what is the major factor in the big price difference? I don't know. There are no major suppliers of bowling balls in South Australia, or any manufacturers in Australia. So it looks like all balls are from Overseas. Even to get a ball drilled cost $15 in the US and $70 TO $100 IN South Oz. No wonder I keep trying to win a ball on here.

Blomer
11-25-2016, 06:11 PM
I have absolutely no knowledge in the foreign market of bowling balls other than seeing balls on Facebook from Asia having a high market price to buy here in the states. Generally shipping is a large portion of the price. With you being I. Australia, perhaps you should try getting balls from Asia. Most companies make balls for over seas. Try looking on Facebook pages such as racks on racks and. A few others.

JasonNJ
11-25-2016, 07:19 PM
Bowling in Australia is an expensive recreation. I bought a storm Fight which is advertised for around $120 usd, here in Australia it cost me $285 aus. what is the major factor in the big price difference? I don't know. There are no major suppliers of bowling balls in South Australia, or any manufacturers in Australia. So it looks like all balls are from Overseas. Even to get a ball drilled cost $15 in the US and $70 TO $100 IN South Oz. No wonder I keep trying to win a ball on here.

Have you ever inquired about buying from a online retailer in the US and see how much shipping would be to Australia? Might come out cheaper although you'll probably have to wait longer to receive them. You could even have them drill the balls if you know your specs and PAP.

Mike White
11-25-2016, 07:46 PM

I would say shipping is the main thing, dollar conversion is $100 US = $134 Aus.

If someone in the US will drill for $15, you're probably going to get a house ball type drill, not custom to your hand.

I charged $50 to drill which would be about $65 Aus.

bowl1820
11-25-2016, 10:10 PM
Bowling in Australia is an expensive recreation. I bought a storm Fight which is advertised for around $120 usd, here in Australia it cost me $285 aus. what is the major factor in the big price difference?

Beside the cost of the ball, there's the shipping and you have to factor in the cost of customs import duties & taxes.

The Australian duty rate on bowling balls are

5% MFN duty rate
10% sales tax
Import Processing Charge (AU$50.00)

So depending on how many and the buyer/importers cost + taxes,duties, insurance and what he adds on for his profit. It would add up

I took a quick look a Storm Fight is about $122 USD = $164 AU

A quick estimate with one of the online calculators it looks like with Product, shipping & insurance etc: Landed cost is about $296 AU so your $285 sounds about right.

looks like as a individual if you just bought one ball from overseas, you might not have to pay any duties.

If you win a ball from here, You still got to pay overseas shipping and any applicable customs duties/taxes on your end.

And there have been a couple of overseas winners, one was either in singapore or hong kong and they payed a lot in customs if I remember right (still cheaper than what the ball cost there though)

Stormed1
11-28-2016, 02:35 AM
I know that shipping a 15# ball from Chicago to Australia was $86.00 US 2 year ago as I had a gentleman ask me the shipping cost on a ball I was selling on ebay

foreverincamo
11-28-2016, 08:15 PM
Maybe you need to befriend Jason Belmonte and get his secondhand bowling balls. You only need to drill the thumbhole!

LOUVIT
12-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Maybe you need to befriend Jason Belmonte and get his secondhand bowling balls. You only need to drill the thumbhole!

good answer....lol

or you can come here for vacation and stock up....

fokai73
12-02-2016, 05:21 PM
you should go to Jason B's facebook and let him know what's on your mind.

I'm shocked that AUS don't have their own brand/factory like Korea, Japan, and China. I could be wrong, but Lord Field is Korean made, ABS I think is made in Japan, and CHINA MAKES EVERYTHING

LOUVIT
12-02-2016, 06:28 PM
you should go to Jason B's facebook and let him know what's on your mind.

I'm shocked that AUS don't have their own brand/factory like Korea, Japan, and China. I could be wrong, but Lord Field is Korean made, ABS I think is made in Japan, and CHINA MAKES EVERYTHING

that's not a bad idea, send Jason a private message, who knows he may by some chance be in your area or be able to help you. My PSO Tom Doughtery says he is a real nice guy......can't hurt...

JaxBowlingGuy
12-05-2016, 09:56 AM
We have a staff member in Australia that gets balls shipped to him. Not sure how much extra he pays but I know he does.

JaxBowlingGuy
12-05-2016, 11:18 AM
Just talked to the big guy and we have a shop in AU. It's called World Class Bowling

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb407/gunsnjax/8BF92A9D-1F65-4F36-8E0F-4FB71CAC3E82_zpsgymctrmj.jpeg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/gunsnjax/media/8BF92A9D-1F65-4F36-8E0F-4FB71CAC3E82_zpsgymctrmj.jpeg.html)

chip82901
12-06-2016, 04:13 PM
Jason is a pretty cool dude. He's helped me on getting in touch with some Storm Tech guys on drill patterns and such. I just contacted him through the email on his website and it took about 3 days to get a reply back but none the less he helped a lot. Try getting with him or Sam Cooley to see if they can hook you up with ways to get equipment easier