PDA

View Full Version : Hate how announcers score games in progress on TV

NewToBowling
12-07-2016, 10:35 AM
I prefer the "max score" approach where you determine who is ahead by what their max score is.

On TV many times they will say player A is ahead because they got an X in the 5th frame even though both players had same score in 4th and both working on spares. Player B is not behind, just hasn't had the chance to bowl their 5th frame yet.

fordman1
12-07-2016, 04:32 PM
They don't want to confuse the hoards of viewers who don't know how to keep score. Also remember many bowlers don't know how to keep score. I have noticed what you are talking about and agree it is a little lame.

NewToBowling
12-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Maybe they should say (Randy Pedersen voice):

"Player B is down 10 points but does have 1 frame in hand. Once he catches up in the frame they could still possibly still be tied. But keep in mind since Player A struck in the 5th frame we won't know his total score for that 5th frame until he rolls two more balls. So could be as late as the 7th frame till we know his true 5th frame score. Everyone get that??? I was told there wasn't going to be any math today"

:)

fordman1
12-07-2016, 05:49 PM
Just when I was starting to like you.

LOUVIT
12-07-2016, 07:07 PM
I agree... you MUST know how to keep score for true game playing, When I started bowling we had sheets of paper and a pencil. No projectors or auto score...

stargell1
12-08-2016, 05:17 AM
I agree... you MUST know how to keep score for true game playing, When I started bowling we had sheets of paper and a pencil. No projectors or auto score...

Who needs to know how to keep score when there is bowling score calculator :)

NewToBowling
12-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Just when I was starting to like you.

No harm intended. I was agreeing with you

LOUVIT
12-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Who needs to know how to keep score when there is bowling score calculator :)

A league bowler is is into the game should know what and how it works...So if you are on a strike or a double and leave a 4,6,7,10. you know how important it is to get 2 pins in a close game instead of trying to make it and going 6 out....that 2 pins you missed, depending on what you are on can amount to 4-6 pins and if you lose by 4 pins you know why.... And you will understand why your team mate is saying ok get the wood...:rolleyes:.

X, X, 9 /, 8-, 7/, 6,3 ='s ?

who can truthfully have the score in the 6th frame.....

mishatx
12-11-2016, 03:37 PM
I swear every time I think I understand how they divine their "pins ahead / pins behind" numbers, they come up with some number that doesn't make sense to me. I've been watching televised bowling for 30 some years and just decided to stop paying attention to that and instead look at scores and working marks.