PDA

View Full Version : Good idea to get the pitch checked on your ball......

Hammer
12-09-2016, 04:40 PM
I took my Raw Hammer Anger ball to the pro shop to get the surface knocked down from 4000 polished to 2000 dull. The lanes I bowl on now have a THS flat pattern where the boards from 1 to 10 have flat oil which means they are not dry as a bone for good hooking. I needed a little more surface because of this.

Out of curiosity I had my fingers and thumb holes checked for pitch because I haven't done this in a while. My fingers were 1/8 forward and my thumb was 1/8 reverse. I asked the pro shop guy why my thumb pitch was like this. He said that is for people who squeeze the ball tight. I maybe did that when I got the ball around 2007 but I don't do that now. I was wondering why the ball was coming off my thumb a little too fast. If I get a new ball that thumb pitch will be changed to 1/8 forward because I don't death grip it anymore for the past few years.

So it is a good idea to have your pitch checked because as you become better at throwing your ball it might be good to have a different pitch in your fingers and thumb so your ball will work the way it should.

fokai73
12-09-2016, 08:11 PM
It's wise to Check the span/grip every 2 to 3 years, or any changes to the persons physical body. Weight gain, arthritis, wearing a brace, physical game change, etc....

Like these people that wear those adjustable wrist brace. Majority of the people that use them don't know how to use them properly. Or, get fitted for a ball without having the brace on.

Having different pitches will just create more issues. Keeping it the same will help build consistency.

I went through several changes in my grip through the years in my return. I'm a bit older now and my body isn't as "trim" as it was 15 years ago.. but with proper fit by the pros and coaching.... I have more revs now then when I was 30. I bowl more now then when I was 30. I have no pain whatsoever in my right hand from bowling, compared to when I had typical 1/4 reverse thumb 3/8 lateral fingers blah blah...

djp1080
12-09-2016, 08:14 PM
I recall that I tended to drop the ball a lot and likely squeezed it with a death grip just to keep it on my hand. When I got my first reactive ball, I recognized that the ball felt as though it was falling off my hand on the backswing. After reading a few articles by Ron Clifton regarding fit and pitches I went back to the PSO to check this out. Took several steps from reverse pitch on the thumb to about 3/8ths forward. Later changed my finger pitches from zero to I believe 1/4 reverse to relieve myself from aggravating my fingertips from arthritis. My grip is way more relaxed and little tendency for fingertip issues thankfully.

Stormed1
12-09-2016, 09:12 PM
over the last 10-12 years I hve gone from 3/16 right and 1/2 reverse to now being 1/4 left and 3/8 forward. So checking your hand spans and pitches yearly is not a bad idea. After all our bodies change as we get older

Hammer
12-09-2016, 10:23 PM
I didn't have the time or the money to have my thumb hole plugged and re-drilled to change the pitch from 1/8 reverse to 1/8 forward. I will just put in enough tape to make the thumb hole as snug as possible to help keep my thumb from coming out too fast. I am glad that I don't muscle the ball on the forward swing. I was thinking about getting a new ball anyway. At least I will know how I want my pitches drilled.

LOUVIT
12-10-2016, 11:37 AM
I didn't have the time or the money to have my thumb hole plugged and re-drilled to change the pitch from 1/8 reverse to 1/8 forward. I will just put in enough tape to make the thumb hole as snug as possible to help keep my thumb from coming out too fast. I am glad that I don't muscle the ball on the forward swing. I was thinking about getting a new ball anyway. At least I will know how I want my pitches drilled.

Are you sure you want a 1/4" change? Why not try a zero pitch first and then if you need the 1/8th forward you can do that. Ask the PSO if he will charge you twice. Some of them will do the second adjustment for free. My guy charged me 15.00 to slug and re drill my thumb and said if it isn't right bring it back in.

LOUVIT
12-10-2016, 11:40 AM
I recall that I tended to drop the ball a lot and likely squeezed it with a death grip just to keep it on my hand. When I got my first reactive ball, I recognized that the ball felt as though it was falling off my hand on the backswing. After reading a few articles by Ron Clifton regarding fit and pitches I went back to the PSO to check this out. Took several steps from reverse pitch on the thumb to about 3/8ths forward. Later changed my finger pitches from zero to I believe 1/4 reverse to relieve myself from aggravating my fingertips from arthritis. My grip is way more relaxed and little tendency for fingertip issues thankfully.

I always have an issue with my ring finger hurting. I think it may be arthritis, What pitch should I do? Forward or back?. I'm new to all this pitch stuff...lol

Hammer
12-10-2016, 12:49 PM
I always have an issue with my ring finger hurting. I think it may be arthritis, What pitch should I do? Forward or back?. I'm new to all this pitch stuff...lol

The pro shop guy will ask you if you grip the ball tightly and if you muscle the ball. After that he can recommend what pitches you should have for your fingers and thumb.

djp1080
12-10-2016, 12:50 PM
LOUVIT, Talk to your PSO and tell him what you're experiencing. He'll likely suggest changing the pitch of your finger or fingers to a more reverse pitch (that is, pitched away from your palm). This change will probably not interfere with your release at all and just provide you with less stress on your fingers when you release the ball. Hope this helps...

NewToBowling
12-10-2016, 02:32 PM
I probably should hand and drilling rechecked. I've always based all my subsequent drillings on my first drilling from Jan 2015. Every ball has been "check specs on this ball and use measurements on new ball" even with new PSO's. The thing is everything seems fine (either that or just compensating) with not many release issues or skin tearing. But I'm almost certain an experienced driller can probably a few things wrong with my ball

mc_runner
12-10-2016, 03:14 PM
I've been dealing with some ring finger pain over the past few weeks as well. NtB, I've been essentially doing the same thing since everything feels comfortable/feels good through the release with the span and measurements now, but at least in my case pain kind of indicates something should be redone as it's been a few years since the last measurements.

fokai73
12-10-2016, 04:34 PM
I took a ball I didn't like and used it as an experiment ball. Also, I bought thumb slugs for the experiment. And in another time, one driller only charged me $5 each slug I used for another experiment with my pitches.

Each time both drillers didn't have to plug and redrill. They just reslugged the ball and added the pitches I requested for.

Also, when doing the experiment, pay attention to your fingers too and not just the thumb fit and timing. Your finger nails shouldn't be pressing on the insert. When we changed my thumb pitch one day I caught this. We shortened my span and it felt good. But in the end, I still back off 1/8 from 1/4 forward.

Your PSO may not catch it right away so be attentive.... I had 4 11/16 cut span 15 years ago if I remember to 4 3/8 currently.. my beginning pitch 15 years ago was 1/4 reverse, to 1/8 forward. I may go another 1/8 forward during Christmas break come to think of it lol

J Anderson
12-10-2016, 09:39 PM
I took a ball I didn't like and used it as an experiment ball. Also, I bought thumb slugs for the experiment. And in another time, one driller only charged me $5 each slug I used for another experiment with my pitches.

Each time both drillers didn't have to plug and redrill. They just reslugged the ball and added the pitches I requested for.

Also, when doing the experiment, pay attention to your fingers too and not just the thumb fit and timing. Your finger nails shouldn't be pressing on the insert. When we changed my thumb pitch one day I caught this. We shortened my span and it felt good. But in the end, I still back off 1/8 from 1/4 forward.

Your PSO may not catch it right away so be attentive.... I had 4 5/16 cut span 15 years ago if I remember to 4 3/8 currently.. my beginning pitch 15 years ago was 1/4 reverse, to 1/8 forward. I may go another 1/8 forward during Christmas break come to think of it lol

Isn't 4 5/16" shorter than 4 3/8"?

fokai73
12-11-2016, 02:29 AM
Isn't 4 5/16" shorter than 4 3/8"?

thank you sir! haha you are right 5/16 is 16th short lol. I fixed it.... 4 11/16